Confirmed with Link: Erik Gudbranson has been traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Tanner Pearson

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
So it's the veteran players' fault? There is zero evidence of a "major locker room rift" or any "major personality conflict". Nothing to do with, say, coaching? There may well be a "major communications issue" but it's between the coaches and the players IMHO...

The ultimate question is, why did Gudbranson play like ass in Vancouver and like hot fire currently in Pittsburgh?

I currently have no clue why this is so, however, what I believe with a high degree of confidence is that the reason does not involve Travis Green.

Gud was getting lots and lots of ice time while he was here and that's all a veteran player can ask for from his coach.

Gud never experienced ANY type kind of penalizing action when he effed up and yes, he effed up a tonne. He effed up so much that I consider him our tank commander of this season.

Every hockey game has it's ebb and flow. One team attacks and then the other team attacks and so on and so forth.

Every effing time Gud touched the puck, the team would ebb. Momentum would suddenly shift and on more than one occasion, the team would get scored on. This happened so frequently that it was almost like clockwork.

Gud effing licked sweaty hog ballz while he was here.

And he didn't get penalized for it.

So...

Not the coach.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
The ultimate question is, why did Gudbranson play like ass in Vancouver and like hot fire currently in Pittsburgh?

I currently have no clue why this is so, however, what I believe with a high degree of confidence is that the reason does not involve Travis Green.

Gud was getting lots and lots of ice time while he was here and that's all a veteran player can ask for from his coach.

Gud never experienced ANY type kind of penalizing action when he effed up and yes, he effed up a tonne. He effed up so much that I consider him our tank commander of this season.

Every hockey game has it's ebb and flow. One team attacks and then the other team attacks and so on and so forth.

Every effing time Gud touched the puck, the team would ebb. Momentum would suddenly shift and on more than one occasion, the team would get scored on. This happened so frequently that it was almost like clockwork.

Gud effing licked sweaty hog ballz while he was here.

And he didn't get penalized for it.

So...

Not the coach.

OK then explain Gagner's return to 40 point form almost the minute he got out of here or Nilsson's return to .910 hockey as soon as he went to any other team (never mind the worst team in the league). Maybe Guddy needed to be "penalized" for his shoddy play. Certainly Pouliot might well benefit from such handling. When numerous players go from being basically useless on one team to useful on any other team it is highly unlikely that it's all the players' fault that they were useless here. Not sure why so many here are keen to defend Green tooth and nail when there's so much evidence to document his ineptitude...

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
OK then explain Gagner's return to 40 point form almost the minute he got out of here or Nilsson's return to .910 hockey as soon as he went to any other team (never mind the worst team in the league). Maybe Guddy needed to be "penalized" for his shoddy play. Certainly Pouliot might well benefit from such handling. When numerous players go from being basically useless on one team to useful on any other team it is highly unlikely that it's all the players' fault that they were useless here. Not sure why so many here are keen to defend Green tooth and nail when there's so much evidence to document his ineptitude...
When did you become a Canuck fan?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Because we have to defend Green, otherwise Benning looks like a fool for hiring yet another dud coach to go along with all his other dud trades and dud contracts. People like you hating on Benning are just haters.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Because we have to defend Green, otherwise Benning looks like a fool for hiring yet another dud coach to go along with all his other dud trades and dud contracts. People like you hating on Benning are just haters.

I'm hardly a Benning hater although I'm not exactly a fan either. I'm assuming your answer is sarcastic...

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Ok.

So you were watching when Radim Vrbata, Chris Higgins, Alex Burrows, Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were playing exactly like how Erik Gudbranson was playing and that was completely out of effs to give?

Or like how the Sedins were playing post trade deadline in the 15-16 season and the 16-17 season.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Ok.

So you were watching when Radim Vrbata, Chris Higgins, Alex Burrows, Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were playing exactly like how Erik Gudbranson was playing and that was completely out of effs to give?

Or like how the Sedins were playing post trade deadline in the 15-16 season and the 16-17 season.

Sure. What is your point?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
We are seeing the exact same type of passive aggressive crap play from veterans under two completely different coaches.

None of those players that you mentioned improved measurably after they left the team, in fact most of them regressed.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Curious statement. Why would it be "hilarious"?
Because we'd all be wrong about how bad Gudbranson is and he was just insanely mismanaged as a player. Which just makes the management/coaching team look worse.
I don't mind being wrong about Gudbranson if it means that this management team getting roasted.

Reactions: timw33

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Because we'd all be wrong about how bad Gudbranson is and he was just insanely mismanaged as a player. Which just makes the management/coaching team look worse.
I don't mind being wrong about Gudbranson if it means that this management team getting roasted.

Me neither...

Reactions: WTG

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I mean, it's still unlikely he makes this turn around. But if he does it would be really perplexing why he was so bad analytically in Vancouver. It would really look rather poor on the coaching staff for his utilization.

If he plays even decent it makes management look awful for not taking the 2nd and 4th reportedly offered last year for him.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
If he plays even decent it makes management look awful for not taking the 2nd and 4th reportedly offered last year for him.

Is there any actual evidence that this was in fact offered for him or is this just a rumour fostered by the Benning haters in an attempt to discredit him even further?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Because advanced stats never has and likely never will tell the entire story behind a player? More times than not, it’s simply a mismatch of systems between the player and the system that a team is implmenting?

Why was Roussel so terrible last year in Dallas and yet “magically” played much better this year?

I wonder if Pittsburgh has a predatory blog called “Penguins Army” that personally attacks Gudbranson on a daily basis.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Is there any actual evidence that this was in fact offered for him or is this just a rumour fostered by the Benning haters in an attempt to discredit him even further?

There is no evidence whatsoever. It’s a complete and utter fabrication, just as the “Miller for 9th” phantom offer after the 2015 playoffs.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Because advanced stats never has and likely never will tell the entire story behind a player? More times than not, it’s simply a mismatch of systems between the player and the system that a team is implmenting?

Why was Roussel so terrible last year in Dallas and yet “magically” played much better this year?

I wonder if Pittsburgh has a predatory blog called “Penguins Army” that personally attacks Gudbranson on a daily basis.
You do realize even despite being bad last season, Roussel has always had good advanced stats.

Not exactly the best argument , Hindu.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
You do realize even despite being bad last season, Roussel has always had good advanced stats.

Not exactly the best argument , Hindu.

Did he really? Ask @Melvin . Melvin was a little upset last year at the idea of us getting Roussel, and if I recall correctly, it was due to his less than stellar advanced stats in certain areas.

I tell you to ask Melvin because he knows more about stats than all of us.

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
Not that it matters at this point, but I always read the 2nd and 4th as a pure hypothetical from Imac and a throway one at that. Botchford then ran with it, essentially to poke at Imac I think, and then it was treated as a Botchford report. Makes no difference at this point but it is an interesting example of how "facts" develop in modern times.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Did he really? Ask @Melvin . Melvin was a little upset last year at the idea of us getting Roussel, and if I recall correctly, it was due to his less than stellar advanced stats in certain areas.

I tell you to ask Melvin because he knows more about stats than all of us.
You can look at them yourself, he was a positive possession player in hard defensive deployment.

Antoine Roussel Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Even then what's your point, the idea that analytics are the only reason people thought Gudbranson was terrible is insane.

He was last in the league in +/-, he couldn't make a good first pass if his life depended on it, was slow and one of the worst player in the NHL in his time in Vancouver.

By every method, analytics, traditional stats, the eye test. Erik Gudbranson was a terrible player for the Vancouver Canucks.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
You can look at them yourself, he was a positive possession player in hard defensive deployment.

Antoine Roussel Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Even then what's your point, the idea that analytics are the only reason people thought Gudbranson was terrible is insane.

He was last in the league in +/-, he couldn't make a good first pass if his life depended on it, was slow and one of the worst player in the NHL in his time in Vancouver.

By every method, analytics, traditional stats, the eye test. Erik Gudbranson was a terrible player for the Vancouver Canucks.

Fair enough.......so why is he doing well in Pittsburgh? Do you think it’s even remotely possible that playing under a more compatible system relative to the player is a bigger determining factor than “the underlying numbers?”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad