Confirmed with Link: Erik Cole traded to Dallas Stars for Michael Ryder + 3rd round pick!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
Just got home and read the news...

Cole’s contract ends in July 2015 and Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Eller need to play. Ryder gives us room for manoeuvre from a cap perspective and the 2013 draft seems to be a good one in terms of prospects’ quality and depth.

Bonus: Ryder is right handed.

Bergevin: :thumbu:

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
"In other words, while the Canadiens would never admit it, I think they saw a diminishing asset and needed to find a way to move it without hurting the team’s chances this season."
- Lebrun

I like that quote. This is not an easy thing to do but Bergevin pulled off. Plus the 3rd as icing. Just an all around smart move.
This makes tomorrow game even MORE interesting than it promised to be as well!

Pigems*

I don't love it, I don't hate it. The cap savings are a major benefit and Ryder is a decent player, but I hate losing one of the few guys we have who like to go in front of the net. I have no doubt that this is a good move for our future, but I'm not so sure we're a better team today.

Does anyone know if there's a rule against changing jersey numbers mid-season? I just bought a #73 Gallagher jersey and I'll be really annoyed if he gives it to Ryder. :(

I would be quite mad if I were you and he does change numbers. But you could always have the name badge swapped to Ryder?

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
Good riddance Erik Cole I say !! Never liked him...

He did good last season, but the team finished at the bottom of the league so with or without Cole, it would've been the same.

I didn't like his attitude at the beginning of the season with the retirement thingy. Apparently, according to RDS, Cole was a bad influence in the locker room. I wouldn't be surprise if it turn out to be true... The guy was already gone in his mind.

Marc Bergevin shipped him out of this town as soon as he saw the deteriated situation.

Impressive move by the rookie GM.

The 3rd rounder is a big bonus too !!

Welcome back Michael Ryder :handclap:

Hopefully, next one in line is Gionta.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
If he has time and space Michael Ryder has in my opinion the best wrist shot accuracy in the entire league. But that being said, he doesnt have much more than that.

Poulet Kostopoulos

Oct 23, 2009
I agree that Cole is still not afraid to stand in front of the net this year.

The problem is that he's too often behind the play this year to do it more consistently.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Ridiculous comment... you havent watch the games this year.

He drove the net 2-3 times in the first 5 games and drew penalties. Then he stopped doing it. He'd sometimes go in the corners and he'd just fall down for no reason.

Maybe it's you who didn't watch the games.

Pigems*

no the Nova Scotia Voyageurs

No sir. It was the Halifax Citadels, they played in the metro center. I think they may have been able and not junior now that I'm thinking about it though their jerseys looked like Nordiques jerseys

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
He drove the net 2-3 times in the first 5 games and drew penalties. Then he stopped doing it. He'd sometimes go in the corners and he'd just fall down for no reason.

Maybe it's you who didn't watch the games.

He fell down as much as he stood up this year... Totally agree!

He just didnt have any fire this year and is clearly on the downside of a good career

Best of luck Eric.;)

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
Don't forget. This is not Marc Bergevin's team. He inherited these players. He's going to want to mold the team in his image. This is only the beginning. In the next year we're going to see the exodus of a lot more players (ex. Gionta, Markov, Bourque, etc..)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Don't get the negative views of this trade. Cole has been up and down all season, has not been producing, has 2 more years at $4.5M. Ryder is a UFA after this season, has 14 pts in 18 games this year and knows what it takes to play in Montreal. Add the 3rd rounder coming to Montreal and I see only win-win on this one.

Jmac1160*

Thanks for nothing Cole. Now you can send your children to your American schools and learn nothing but American history and nothing else

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Here's how I can make sense of this trade:

Instead of signing Cole for 4 years, we kind of signed him for a year and a half, for a good price (he would never have accepted a 2 years deal with the habs).

We replace him in his "last" season with Ryder, who is somewhat equivalent and is gone next year.

And we get a third in the process.

Ok. I'm down with that.

But that cap space better be used for something good...

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Has anyone figured out if the 3rd rounder we picked up was Dallas' own, or one of the ones they acquired from Edmonton or Minnesota?

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Cole hasn't really contributed much to the winning though. So we should play even better now in theory with added scoring

Perhaps, but he wasn't dragging the team down either. They were still in the black with him on the ice.

The principle fear would be that Desharnais tends to crater without Cole, but that is mitigated by how he's doing with Gallagher so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad