Confirmed with Link: Erik Cole traded to Dallas Stars for Michael Ryder + 3rd round pick!!

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by JackZap, Feb 26, 2013.

1. We're doing some testing. Please do not adjust your set.
    Dismiss Notice
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saundies

Saundies Fly On The Wall

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Cole was just a beast last year. He was everything the Habs wanted; a guy that could drive the net hard, be physical, and get dirty goals. And he did all that.

Unfortunately, this year isn't last year. I like this trade because it does get rid of that contract and frees up cap room. Plus, Ryder's got a cannon and uses it well. The 3rd round pick is just icing on the cake.

I wanna see what Bergy does next... he's going to have a lot of picks and cap space at his disposal. Big offseason? Trade deadline? Either way, I'm excited.

2. Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy RIP Fugu

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Ah, that's the point. Didn't know this.

Too bad we didn't deal Cole at the deadline last year when he had value. He's not worth much now unfortunately and it's actually not a bad idea to rid ourselves of his contract.

I liked Cole a lot but this move makes sense.

3. Can somebody please confirm for me that perry was a habs fan?

Can somebody please confirm for me that perry was a habs fan?

Thanks;)

4. dcyhabs

dcyhabs Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    sysadmin
    The team needs guys to go to the net and a sniper. Too bad they traded the one for the other instead of working out a way to have both.

5. Et le But

Et le But Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    http://ducks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=44324

There.

6. Bekbe

Bekbe Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    sorry Cole but, me like it :naughty:

7. Laurent

Laurent Wat.

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    http://www.rds.ca/vidéos/difficile-de-quitter-un-tel-groupe-de-joueurs-1.589871

Cole Basically says that Dallas approached MB. Also said that Bergevin told him that he had to make some moves to create cap space for players getting of their bridge deals + to fit the new CBA cap. Amongst a lot of stuff.

Edit: Cole almost broke to tears when saying the hard part was to say bye to the teamates and the fans

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  8. sandysan

sandysan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    How physical has Cole been? People saying that Cole is a power forward, I didn't know that the bar had been lowered that much.

He was good last year, this year he stunk. Getting Ryder and rid of Coles contract is good enough, the pick is better.

I did not see anyone who thought that Cole was not stinking the joint out this year. We move him for Ryder who is an upcoming ufa and a third, and people complain. Yes Cole is big and could play gritty but so far this year he hasn't. Having size but not using it does the have zero good.

9. Jigger77

Jigger77 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Jimmyrigger
    In the short term I don't think it makes the Habs better. You lose size and speed and the physical aspect of Cole that I thought was really important. You gain a pure goal scorer with questionable defensive awareness. At least last time I watched him play.

In the long run though I can see why this makes sense. I have questions about his drive and whether his heart was still in it every night. Those comments following the lockout were weird, every other player was excited to get back to it. And then he had a pretty rough start..Looked like he was turning it around lately though. Maybe he knew he was being scouted who knows. You free up quite a bit of salary from a guy who's not getting younger and maybe or maybe not has some questions about his drive to play. A trade is always a bit of a gamble, and Bergevin gambled that this was the right move not necessarily for now, but for the future. Which is good.

A kid who's 20-25 with possible drive issues is one thing, a 34-36 year old (who's paid a fair amount of your salary mass) with possible drive issues is another.

It's been a slice Erik! Welcome back Ryder!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  10. Captain Subban

Captain Subban Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Sales
    When people think power forward for some reason they think Eric Lindros murdering people.

A power forward is a forward with size who goes toward the net and can give/take punishment. Cole is a consistent hitter with size who doesn't shy from the net or corners. If Brendan Gallagher was three inches taller he would be a power forward.

11. tinyzombies

tinyzombies Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    he's 34 and he will be hard to replace because we have nothing in the pipeline that delivers what he does

12. OneSharpMarble

OneSharpMarble Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Erik Cole is the prototypical power-forward, if you didn't know this it speaks more to your lack of hockey knowledge than anything. His "go-to" move is driving hard to the net on his off wing. What exactly did you have in mind? He also throws a lot of hits and works the boards, but no he doesn't punch people in the face.

I hope Ryder scores lots of goals for us because he certainly wont be contributing anything else, we all know exactly what Ryder brings to the team.

13. Hugo Sham

Hugo Sham My attitude stinks, my hockey bag is even worse

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
  14. JackZap

JackZap Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
  15. Et le But

Et le But Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Eller is as physical as Cole and Pacioretty. Your prejudice is showing again.

:laugh: We have a problem.

16. StanleyCH25

StanleyCH25 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Home Page:
    Yeah.. I agree about the way Cole has played. I'd be curious to hear what sandysan considers a power forward to be. Although Cole didn't hit the scoresheet as much as last year, I still felt like he was contributing physically, as well as driving to the net like few others on the team. I'm not sure what to think of the deal at this point as I find Ryder a little too unidimensional for my taste. Still, the cap space and extra pick are nice if used properly. I guess time will tell..

17. sandysan

sandysan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Gallagher has the desire but no size. Cole had the size but no desire. Its a wash unless Cole suddenly decides he wants to use his size and speed, this year not so much.

Power forward used to mean something other than " not afraid to go into the corners". I'm not sure which is less true, that Cole was a power forward or that the habs are going to miss his nonexistant grit.

18. Rosso Scuderia

Rosso Scuderia Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Save cap space for upcoming years. And get a scorer that shoots on the right.

19. Cdizzle

Cdizzle Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Not really a bad trade imo but....

Is now really the time to shake things up?

20. SirClintonPortis

SirClintonPortis ProudCapitalsTraitor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    WTF?! If it weren't for the "Confirmed with Link" thing, I thought this would be a joke thread.

First bad transaction of the Bergevin era. Ryder was a third liner on the Bruins for damn good reason. He's one dimensional as heck. I suppose the brass believes that the young guys will be entering the top 6, because Ryder better not.

21. Dharvey33

Dharvey33 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I like it people thinking we were getting a 1st rounder with Cole are dreaming the reduction of the cap next year is a big factor and we still managed to get something good for him. At this point just the cap space is good plus Ryder is far from a scrub he becomes the second best sniper in the team probably the frist behind Paciorretty.

Give him Desharnais or Plekanec and Ryder will deliver.

3 rd pick is not bad either.

Let's say i like our chances of Getting Clowe next year and even Perry.

Imagine the habs with Clowe and Perry in the top 6.

Plekanec Perry gallagher
    Desharnais Paciorretty Clowe

With the cap space next year a lot of team won't be able to afford Perry or Getzlaf i think the habs might have at least 13 millions to shed so no problem for them.

22. SirClintonPortis

SirClintonPortis ProudCapitalsTraitor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    The way he went after Doan hard this offseason, I think he's quite ready to go all in on Corey Perry.

23. sandysan

sandysan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Falling down a lot does not make you a power forward, and if driving to the net is his go to move, he must have misplaced it.

I liked Cole last year, but Cole this year is not last years Cole and his contract was a mini albatross.

And power forward is not a position everyone HAS to have and the guy who is big and goes into the corner is nor defacto a power forward, but since you asked, off the top of my head Wayne Simmonds would be an acceptable power forward, clarkson fits the bill as well.

Simmonds, clarkson and Cole. One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong.

24. HF-Addict

HF-Addict Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Kind of a weird trade at a weird time, not that we don't get fair value, but I dunno...But Anyway, glad to see Ryder's back!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.