Confirmed with Link: Erik Cole traded to Dallas Stars for Michael Ryder + 3rd round pick!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Cole was just a beast last year. He was everything the Habs wanted; a guy that could drive the net hard, be physical, and get dirty goals. And he did all that.

Unfortunately, this year isn't last year. I like this trade because it does get rid of that contract and frees up cap room. Plus, Ryder's got a cannon and uses it well. The 3rd round pick is just icing on the cake.

I wanna see what Bergy does next... he's going to have a lot of picks and cap space at his disposal. Big offseason? Trade deadline? Either way, I'm excited.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Point was Cole is not getting any younger and is a 4.5mil cap hit.
He's 36 and has always played extreemely tough. Last year was a career year, do you really think at 37 and 38 he would be able to repeat that?

I loved Cole but I think this a great trade.
Ryder WILL help as he's a pure sniper especially on the PP, his contract expires this year which frees up 4.5 mil in cap space add the Kaberle buyout that's close to 9 million.

This was a very calculated move by Bergevin and he got a third pick in the deal as well.
Ah, that's the point. Didn't know this.

Too bad we didn't deal Cole at the deadline last year when he had value. He's not worth much now unfortunately and it's actually not a bad idea to rid ourselves of his contract.

I liked Cole a lot but this move makes sense.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

Can somebody please confirm for me that perry was a habs fan?

Thanks;)

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
The team needs guys to go to the net and a sniper. Too bad they traded the one for the other instead of working out a way to have both.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

Thanks;)

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=44324

There.

Bekbe

Aug 30, 2009
Quebec

Thanks;)

sorry Cole but, me like it :naughty:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Physical? Eller is as "physical" as Kostistyn was.

How physical has Cole been? People saying that Cole is a power forward, I didn't know that the bar had been lowered that much.

He was good last year, this year he stunk. Getting Ryder and rid of Coles contract is good enough, the pick is better.

I did not see anyone who thought that Cole was not stinking the joint out this year. We move him for Ryder who is an upcoming ufa and a third, and people complain. Yes Cole is big and could play gritty but so far this year he hasn't. Having size but not using it does the have zero good.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
In the short term I don't think it makes the Habs better. You lose size and speed and the physical aspect of Cole that I thought was really important. You gain a pure goal scorer with questionable defensive awareness. At least last time I watched him play.

In the long run though I can see why this makes sense. I have questions about his drive and whether his heart was still in it every night. Those comments following the lockout were weird, every other player was excited to get back to it. And then he had a pretty rough start..Looked like he was turning it around lately though. Maybe he knew he was being scouted who knows. You free up quite a bit of salary from a guy who's not getting younger and maybe or maybe not has some questions about his drive to play. A trade is always a bit of a gamble, and Bergevin gambled that this was the right move not necessarily for now, but for the future. Which is good.

A kid who's 20-25 with possible drive issues is one thing, a 34-36 year old (who's paid a fair amount of your salary mass) with possible drive issues is another.

It's been a slice Erik! Welcome back Ryder!

Last edited:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
How physical has Cole been? People saying that Cole is a power forward, I didn't know that the bar had been lowered that much.

He was good last year, this year he stunk. Getting Ryder and rid of Coles contract is good enough, the pick is better.

I did not see anyone who thought that Cole was not stinking the joint out this year. We move him for Ryder who is an upcoming ufa and a third, and people complain. Yes Cole is big and could play gritty but so far this year he hasn't. Having size but not using it does the have zero good.

When people think power forward for some reason they think Eric Lindros murdering people.

A power forward is a forward with size who goes toward the net and can give/take punishment. Cole is a consistent hitter with size who doesn't shy from the net or corners. If Brendan Gallagher was three inches taller he would be a power forward.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Point was Cole is not getting any younger and is a 4.5mil cap hit.
He's 36 and has always played extreemely tough. Last year was a career year, do you really think at 37 and 38 he would be able to repeat that?

I loved Cole but I think this a great trade.
Ryder WILL help as he's a pure sniper especially on the PP, his contract expires this year which frees up 4.5 mil in cap space add the Kaberle buyout that's close to 9 million.

This was a very calculated move by Bergevin and he got a third pick in the deal as well.

he's 34 and he will be hard to replace because we have nothing in the pipeline that delivers what he does

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary

Erik Cole is the prototypical power-forward, if you didn't know this it speaks more to your lack of hockey knowledge than anything. His "go-to" move is driving hard to the net on his off wing. What exactly did you have in mind? He also throws a lot of hits and works the boards, but no he doesn't punch people in the face.

I hope Ryder scores lots of goals for us because he certainly wont be contributing anything else, we all know exactly what Ryder brings to the team.

StanleyCH25

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Erik Cole is the prototypical power-forward, if you didn't know this it speaks more to your lack of hockey knowledge than anything. His "go-to" move is driving hard to the net on his off wing. What exactly did you have in mind? He also throws a lot of hits and works the boards, but no he doesn't punch people in the face.

I hope Ryder scores lots of goals for us because he certainly wont be contributing anything else, we all know exactly what Ryder brings to the team.

Yeah.. I agree about the way Cole has played. I'd be curious to hear what sandysan considers a power forward to be. Although Cole didn't hit the scoresheet as much as last year, I still felt like he was contributing physically, as well as driving to the net like few others on the team. I'm not sure what to think of the deal at this point as I find Ryder a little too unidimensional for my taste. Still, the cap space and extra pick are nice if used properly. I guess time will tell..

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
When people think power forward for some reason they think Eric Lindros murdering people.

A power forward is a forward with size who goes toward the net and can give/take punishment. Cole is a consistent hitter with size who doesn't shy from the net or corners. If Brendan Gallagher was three inches taller he would be a power forward.

Gallagher has the desire but no size. Cole had the size but no desire. Its a wash unless Cole suddenly decides he wants to use his size and speed, this year not so much.

Power forward used to mean something other than " not afraid to go into the corners". I'm not sure which is less true, that Cole was a power forward or that the habs are going to miss his nonexistant grit.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
WTF?! If it weren't for the "Confirmed with Link" thing, I thought this would be a joke thread.

First bad transaction of the Bergevin era. Ryder was a third liner on the Bruins for damn good reason. He's one dimensional as heck. I suppose the brass believes that the young guys will be entering the top 6, because Ryder better not.

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
I like it people thinking we were getting a 1st rounder with Cole are dreaming the reduction of the cap next year is a big factor and we still managed to get something good for him. At this point just the cap space is good plus Ryder is far from a scrub he becomes the second best sniper in the team probably the frist behind Paciorretty.

Give him Desharnais or Plekanec and Ryder will deliver.

3 rd pick is not bad either.

Let's say i like our chances of Getting Clowe next year and even Perry.

Imagine the habs with Clowe and Perry in the top 6.

Plekanec Perry gallagher
Desharnais Paciorretty Clowe

With the cap space next year a lot of team won't be able to afford Perry or Getzlaf i think the habs might have at least 13 millions to shed so no problem for them.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
on the surface, it's hard not to like the deal...

- Cole's 4.5M$ cap hit over the next two years had a big chance of being very cumbersome. It looked that way from the moment he signed the deal, but his bounce back season last year seemed to give hope that he'd be worth it. The way he started this year gave us a good glimpse of just how bad it could get the other way, and with the cap going down, smart move by MB to get rid of that contract

- Ryder is coming off his best season, pts-wise, is off to a very strong start this year, is cheaper right now, is familiar with the team/city/media+fan pressure, and is a UFA at the end of the year so even if it doesn't work out, no strings attached.

- extra 3rd gives us 6 picks in the top-90 of a deep draft... whether we keep them all, use them to move up, or use some in a deadline deal if the need/justification is there, it's a nice asset to have

despite 3 pretty big positives, and having never been a fan of Cole's deal, i'm still a bit :dunno: about the deal.

Something about getting a guy who is definitely less of a physical presence (not that Cole was imposing) on a team that was finally starting to play without getting pushed around all the time, is a little unsettling.

Hopefully Ryder will fit right in to the PP, and ES I could see him working well with DD/MaxPac, giving the team enough offensive threat to mitigate what we lose in Cole's physical play.

Mostly thought, I'm very intrigued into how this fits into MB's broader plans... assuming Kaberle gets amnestied (or traded?), he'll have a small fortune to spend this offseason... Perry is a habs fan, and certainly would fit both the teams new direction and a long-term top-6 need, do we dare to dream???

Welcome back Ryder, happy trails Erik... Go habs Go
The way he went after Doan hard this offseason, I think he's quite ready to go all in on Corey Perry.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yeah.. I agree about the way Cole has played. I'd be curious to hear what sandysan considers a power forward to be. Although Cole didn't hit the scoresheet as much as last year, I still felt like he was contributing physically, as well as driving to the net like few others on the team. I'm not sure what to think of the deal at this point as I find Ryder a little too unidimensional for my taste. Still, the cap space and extra pick are nice if used properly. I guess time will tell..

Falling down a lot does not make you a power forward, and if driving to the net is his go to move, he must have misplaced it.

I liked Cole last year, but Cole this year is not last years Cole and his contract was a mini albatross.

And power forward is not a position everyone HAS to have and the guy who is big and goes into the corner is nor defacto a power forward, but since you asked, off the top of my head Wayne Simmonds would be an acceptable power forward, clarkson fits the bill as well.

Simmonds, clarkson and Cole. One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong.

HF-Addict

Feb 26, 2004
Kind of a weird trade at a weird time, not that we don't get fair value, but I dunno...But Anyway, glad to see Ryder's back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad