Player Discussion Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I mean when he was being sheltered he had to play with Hamonic.

What kind of shelter is that? he would have done better with harder minutes and a competent partner.
He played on the third pairing , because that’s where he deserved to play, he didn’t deserve to play higher up.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He played on the third pairing , because that’s where he deserved to play, he didn’t deserve to play higher up.

Yea he is a successful 3rd pair who has the added bonus of looking good in the top 4.

lots of 3rd pair d suck at that.

Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He always looks decent when he takes on some more responsibility.

But the time has come for us to take another step forward and I don’t think he’s part of that

Reactions: Bileur

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I have the pleasure on getting to know him and his fiance a little bit. They live in my neighborhood and see them walking their dog as I am walking mine. We have stopped numerous times to chat. He wants to stay here, his fiance wants to stay here but they both seem to think that may not happen. He is playing right now with the intention that he is moving somewhere else and is hoping that it is a desirable team and not another bottom-feeder.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
I see improvement in his game but not enough to stick around. The Sens have to build a team that can survive in the playoffs, if and when they ever get there!
A push for size and physicality will be the emphasis on the back end moving forward.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
After reading this thread and others, I was thinking people have big expectations for this offseason. Brannstrom, JBD and a new RD would make 3 changes (50% turn over) to the blueline. Then there’s a new goalie (or goalies), another gritty forward that can score at a reasonable clip and whatever else.

If Staois pulls all this off, and gets decent additions, he would have had an excellent offseason to say the least.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Only + players on the roster are

Pinto
Sanderson
Greig
Zub
Brannstrom

basically our best defensive players and there is a reason Brannstrom is on the list.

Giroux and Norris could/should be there. Stutzle had an incredible progression last season but he regressed like it was his sophomore this year for some reason.

Sheltered?

80% of NHL players are "sheltered"... not everyone would look good playing 1st line or 1st pairing. People have to stop with this, you need quality all over your lineup or you end missing the boat like every team Dorion has built.

I think staios will be looking for a rd to replace both brann and jbd on the bottom pair.

Jacob Bernard-Docker $805,000
Erik Brännström $2,000,000 (?)
Travis Hamonic $1,100,000

We're pretty much stuck wit Hamonic. It's not like we're not still stuck with some of Dorion mistakes. Fixing goaltending might require some cap space being used. Yes they might trade Chychrun or Chabot (but if it's Chabot it would be stupid IMO) but they also have Sanderson and Pinto raises while there is a need to get a good winger.

I don't think they can get much better than Brannstrom/JBD for 2.8 AAV. I'm 100% fine if the bottom-3 guys are Brannstrom, Kleven and JBD.

Sens needs IMO are clear :

- long term coaching solution : a coaching staff who will implement strong 2-way play

- goaltending : need goalies who will be much more solid than our goalies were this season

- trade a LHD, get a RHD who is good defensively

- add another veteran 2-way winger

- add a speedy winger

Last edited:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The cap is too tight. They aren't going to qualify him. If they don't qualify him, he doesn't have much reason to stay. It makes more sense to test the market and go to a team where there is a better spot for him.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The cap is too tight. They aren't going to qualify him. If they don't qualify him, he doesn't have much reason to stay. It makes more sense to test the market and go to a team where there is a better spot for him.
I’d see if he’d be interested in some term before not qualifying him. Offer him 3 x 1.5M and if he says no let him walk.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
That certainly would make more sense than Signing Hamonic to two years at 1.1 with a NMC...
Never understood the hangup about this signing. He's played like 40 games this year, is a good solid veteran in the league and gets a minuscule amount of ice-time for basically close to league minimum. Sure, he's not a great player anymore but he's not being paid to be a great player. Hell, he's barely being paid to play at all. Just one of these never-ending criticisms from the fanbase in a season where everything went wrong. I'd rather this super cheap insurance contract than $2M for whatever Brannstrom has done this year (hint: not much of anything).

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Never understood the hangup about this signing. He's played like 40 games this year, is a good solid veteran in the league and gets a minuscule amount of ice-time for basically close to league minimum. Sure, he's not a great player anymore but he's not being paid to be a great player. Hell, he's barely being paid to play at all. Just one of these never-ending criticisms from the fanbase in a season where everything went wrong. I'd rather this super cheap insurance contract than $2M for whatever Brannstrom has done this year (hint: not much of anything).
But he’s not insurance. He’s bad.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We'll, giving him a NMC to not play is essentially handicapping the team by 1.1 mil,

I find it amusing that you'd rather pay 1.1 for a guy that played half a season and ended up with 6 pts while being a minus 10 than pay 2 for a guy that played 72 and has 19 pts and is a plus 4, one guy contributed, while the other guy got pushed out of the line while blocking callups due to our cap situation.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Hamonic is the definition of you're only as good as your worst player.

And Hamonic is one of the worst players in the league. Aka when he is on the ice he's a complete liability. Solid Veteran presence? Lol the guy demoralized his linemates with how bad he was.

It's funny DJ would play Hamonic regularly but when Martin and Alfredsson came they quickly put him out to pasture.

Funny but not surprising.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Addition by subtraction. Hamonic and Kubalik were big detriments to the team this season, almost like we were down a skater when they were on the ice

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
But he’s not insurance. He’s bad.
He's exactly what he was this year: a guy who only played when it was absolutely necessitated, was a RHD (something in very short supply around the league) and a guy with a ton of experience in the league who by all accounts is a solid vet to have around the youngsters.

Sure, could we do better? Absolutely. It also means we'd have to pay significantly better for it too. He's a nothing-burger in a post-mortem of the season where he wouldn't even be in the top 20 most pressing issues to fix in the offseason.
We'll, giving him a NMC to not play is essentially handicapping the team by 1.1 mil,

I find it amusing that you'd rather pay 1.1 for a guy that played half a season and ended up with 6 pts while being a minus 10 than pay 2 for a guy that played 72 and has 19 pts and is a plus 4, one guy contributed, while the other guy got pushed out of the line while blocking callups due to our cap situation.
We gave one guy a little over league minimum and the other guy was on the cusp of top 4 D money. Who, exactly, underperformed relative to expectations? But sure the guy who got a contract to be the 7th D is definitely the problem we should be hung up on...

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He's exactly what he was this year: a guy who only played when it was absolutely necessitated, was a RHD (something in very short supply around the league) and a guy with a ton of experience in the league who by all accounts is a solid vet to have around the youngsters.

Sure, could we do better? Absolutely. It also means we'd have to pay significantly better for it too. He's a nothing-burger in a post-mortem of the season where he wouldn't even be in the top 20 most pressing issues to fix in the offseason.

We gave one guy a little over league minimum and the other guy was on the cusp of top 4 D money. Who, exactly, underperformed relative to expectations? But sure the guy who got a contract to be the 7th D is definitely the problem we should be hung up on...
Hamonic on a 1 x 1.1M deal with a NTC would have been fine but 2 years with a NMC was dumb and handcuffed the new management team.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Buyout Hamonic to send a msg Staios. That we're getting rid of the dead weight. I'mma be so pissed if Brannstrom isn't brought back but Hamonic is worth keeping around because of his vet presence. Nothing against his character, but he doesn't excel at any aspect of the actual game of hockey which is what we need

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

He's a RHD that's so bad he can't stay in our lineup that desperately needed a RHD, to the point that we'd rather play Brannstrom on his offside.

Nobody is acting like this is a massive issue, but it certainly was an unforced one, particularly the NMC aspect.

There in lies the problem though, small mistakes add up, and this one in particular had consequences that were not nothing burgers, we were right to the cap, and lacked the flexibility to call up guys due to injuries without risking losing JBD to waivers since we couldn't waive Hamonic.

Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

There are players on one year deal without NMCs that make less that are better. Kleven being one lol

He’s no THE problem people are hung up on you just made that up. But he’s bad and has an NMC. So yeah. It’s A problem

Reactions: Micklebot

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Is Hamonic hurt?

Staois wants to rebrand and relaunch Dorian’s ‘FYOUS’ at the season ending press conference so Hamonic is making some banners and keeping busy with the positive vibes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad