Player Discussion Erik Brännström - D - Part III

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
I have been really high on this kid since day one holy f*** i hope he pans out. Will be watching him like a hawk over the next few weeks

Reactions: NB613

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I have been really high on this kid since day one holy f*** i hope he pans out. Will be watching him like a hawk over the next few weeks

I personally have been so discouraged with what I have seen from Brannstrom lately but he just turned 22...

At 22, 6'6 Hedman finally broke out. At 22, Ellis played his first full seasons in NHL. At 22, Spurgeon became established.

He still has this year to figure it out and next year, imo. Could still very well be a legitimate NHLer. Up to management if they want to trade him and on a team that still holds him in high regard or keep and gamble on him.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Not my fave Brann game but it is evident what he brings to the roster. He is quite simply a top 4 d on this team. He got trucked a few times but also made some very good defensive plays.

I feel like DJ is encouraging Brann to play a physical game when it's his elusiveness that makes Brann a good defensive player. Either way he is quite clearly good enough to be a regular.

Brannstrom-Holden would be our 2nd best pairing by far.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not my fave Brann game but it is evident what he brings to the roster. He is quite simply a top 4 d on this team. He got trucked a few times but also made some very good defensive plays.

I feel like DJ is encouraging Brann to play a physical game when it's his elusiveness that makes Brann a good defensive player. Either way he is quite clearly good enough to be a regular.

Brannstrom-Holden would be our 2nd best pairing by far.

Why would DJ encourage a 5'9" small defencemean to play physical when he has said numerous times he is afraid Brann is gonna get killed out there & needs to learn how to avoid hits? By tonight's game it seems he hasn't learned that at all & DJ's concern is quite real. He continues to get dominated defensively at times, it's blatantly obvious, they can't afford that on a regular basis.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Why would DJ encourage a 5'9" small defencemean to play physical when he has said numerous times he is afraid Brann is gonna get killed out there & needs to learn how to avoid hits? By tonight's game it seems he hasn't learned that at all & DJ's concern is quite real. He continues to get dominated defensively at times, it's blatantly obvious, they can't afford that on a regular basis.

I agree Branns showing today fulfilled many of his negative stereotypes and yet he was still valuable and added to the overall poise and cohesiveness of the team. With him we have two pairs who can make plays. Otherwise it's 1/3, inexcusable at the NHL level.

And I just find that Brann was much more physical in the pre-season and even todays game than he was last season. In terms of engaging in physical play, being chippy and collisions. This season its like he has something to prove. I have not seen his AHL games but this seems to be his poorest run of form in his pro career. I do not know what he is being told just what I see on ice.

I think Brann is a d who excels when he keeps his pulse low. But that does not seem to be DJ hockey. Maybe it just isn't to be.

Reactions: NB613

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I agree Branns showing today fulfilled many of his negative stereotypes and yet he was still valuable and added to the overall poise and cohesiveness of the team. With him we have two pairs who can make plays. Otherwise it's 1/3, inexcusable at the NHL level.

And I just find that Brann was much more physical in the pre-season and even todays game than he was last season. In terms of engaging in physical play, being chippy and collisions. This season its like he has something to prove. I have not seen his AHL games but this seems to be his poorest run of form in his pro career. I do not know what he is being told just what I see on ice.

I think Brann is a d who excels when he keeps his pulse low. But that does not seem to be DJ hockey. Maybe it just isn't to be.

There are more than one way to play defense in the NHL. I feel like tonight Brann didn't play his style but rather the style that would please the coach. Not gonna work.

Good coaches play to the strengths of players and I don't feel our coach can do that outside of his favourite type of player. That's not NHL level of coaching. At least not good NHL coaching.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Great poise. A few bad shifts.

A little concerning how often the other team dumps onto his side and tries to run him.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Great poise. A few bad shifts.

A little concerning how often the other team dumps onto his side and tries to run him.

Yeah it was obvious quick that the Bruins were picking on him every single forecheck, he got pasted and lost possession quite a few times.

Not to compare the 2 at all skill-wise, but I can count on one hand the amount of times I’ve seen Erik Karlsson take a hit like one of the many Brannstrom took tonight. He had a nice rush up the ice late in the game and the Bruins D just smashed him into the boards at the blue line and they got possession back.

Kind of worrying tbh, this has been a problem for him since he got to Belleville after “the trade.” I love that he’s not afraid of taking a hit and going to the dirty areas, but he’s gonna be on and off the IR his entire career if he can’t figure it out

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Yeah it was obvious quick that the Bruins were picking on him every single forecheck, he got pasted and lost possession quite a few times.

Not to compare the 2 at all skill-wise, but I can count on one hand the amount of times I’ve seen Erik Karlsson take a hit like one of the many Brannstrom took tonight. He had a nice rush up the ice late in the game and the Bruins D just smashed him into the boards at the blue line and they got possession back.

Kind of worrying tbh, this has been a problem for him since he got to Belleville after “the trade.” I love that he’s not afraid of taking a hit and going to the dirty areas, but he’s gonna be on and off the IR his entire career if he can’t figure it out

He's never had good enough skating to do what he did in junior in the NHL.

Karlsson was an elite skater.

If you're small you need to be fast and evasive. Brannstrom will always struggle IMO, he's an easy target.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I want Branny to succeed , he is the underdog player with a nice offensive side that we could use on this team.

I understand everyone's concerns, issues with his size and his play outside of offense.

He is going to get killed and picked on till he makes some major adjustments to his game.

Short-term, I am not a coach , I am not sure what he can do to change things up right away. Maybe a season of letting him get squashed will help. Better than our other options to be honest and atleast he brings some offense.

If Brannstrom wants to live in the NHL he needs to do the following!

He will need to change his game to be a defensive defenseman.

He will need to be positionally strong.

He will need to increase his speed incredibly. I suggest off-season speed skating or figure skating training.

He will need to physically change his body to become stronger from legs up over all. He needs to become a physical monster to absorb the hits he will take.

He will need to understand how to take checks, deliver them and deal with bigger players.

My feeling is that he will need to become workout monster and kill it on his skills to compete in this league.

I don't think Mann can teach this in the AHL, their is so much to work on. He needs to have the desire to take his game to next level and work on his game on his own in the off-season. He needs to bet on himself.

The odds are against him at this point because his offense skills are out weighed by his short comings.

This may seem very negative but I want him to become a star in this league but right now he is on track to become a fringe third paring. He has potential if he can round out his skills, dedication, commitment and desire to play in the NHL.

Our entire team could use to go to the Gary Roberts School of Hard Knox but Branny will need it more than anyone on this team.

Sorry for the long post. I wish him the best and hope to eat my words if I am wrong!

Uggggg

Last edited:
Reactions: maclean

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I want Branny to succeed , he is the underdog player with a nice offensive side that we could use on this team.

I understand everyone's concerns, issues with his size and his play outside of offense.

He is going to get killed and picked on till he makes some major adjustments to his game.

Short-term, I am not a coach , I am not sure what he can do to change things up right away. Maybe a season of letting him get squashed will help. Better than our other options to be honest and atleast he brings some offense.

If Brannstrom wants to live in the NHL he needs to do the following!

He will need to change his game to be a defensive defenseman.

He will need to be positionally strong.

He will need to increase his speed incredibly. I suggest off-season speed skating or figure skating training.

He will need to physically change his body to become stronger from legs up over all. He needs to become a physical monster to absorb the hits he will take.

He will need to understand how to take checks, deliver them and deal with bigger players.

My feeling is that he will need to become workout monster and kill it on his skills to compete in this league.

I don't think Mann can teach this in the AHL, their is so much to work on. He needs to have the desire to take his game to next level and work on his game on his own in the off-season. He needs to bet on himself.

The odds are against him at this point because his offense skills are out weighed by his short comings.

This may seem very negative but I want him to become a star in this league but right now he is on track to become a fringe third paring. He has potential if he can round out his skills, dedication, commitment and desire to play in the NHL.

Our entire team could use to go to the Gary Roberts School of Hard Knox but Branny will need it more than anyone on this team.

Sorry for the long post. I wish him the best and hope to eat my words if I am wrong!

Uggggg

Love Branny but this is my last post on him. He either needs to step up or he will be traded for a Standford type of player next season.

.jk

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I didn’t think the call looked that bad live but man the reverse angle…

Just a toe pick

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Everyone seems so concerned for Brannstrom taking hits and clutching their pearls about it. Yet I don’t recall Brannstrom ever complaining abt it, or being injured because of it.

It was obvious he was better in the lineup than any of the other 4 last night. Let him play FFS and if he gets injured from taking hits well, then he gets injured taking hits and that will be that.

Reactions: Bileur

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I didn’t think the call looked that bad live but man the reverse angle…

Just a toe pick

I called it a soft call initially, but I was watching the Boston feed so I might have gotten that angle. The Boston crew were surprised it was called too. It was a bad call with the ref in position to know better.

Reactions: Bileur

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011

I think Brannstrom at 22 can take those big hits and jump right back up without it affecting his game much. But he's going to have to adjust his game because he can't keep getting pasted like that all season long and not start getting nagging injuries. Hopefully it comes with experience playing more games in the NHL and added confidence.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He wasn't great but compared to what we have been throwing out there he wasn't that bad.

He made a bunch of nice breakout passes we never see outside of Chabot or Zub.

Thought Dizzy was bad again...throwing the puck away multiple times.

Let Brann get a few games in a row to catch up to the speed again and let's see how he looks. Overall I thought we were pushed around by the Bruins and we didn't handle it that well.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad