Player Discussion Erik Brännström - D - Left is Right edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Some people may be down on this guy but I think he did fairly well defensively considering he was paired with Hainsey who shouldn’t be in the NHL.

You can count me as one who is definitely down on him. Given what we gave up for him, there should be some kind of a "wow" factor to his game - puck movement, shot, skating - something. There just wasn't. All I saw last year was a small defenceman with very average skating and a shot that didn't look like it would break a pane of glass. All the smart people in the hockey world were so high on this kid, and then when he gets to the NHL last year with a wide open shot at nailing down a full time job, he coughs up a fur ball. Disappointing to say the least.

Yes, he's young, defencemen take more time, yada yada yada, but still - this is what we got for Mark Freaking Stone? Seriously? I'll happily eat this post if he has a great season this coming year, but his 2019-20 was a step backwards...

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
You can count me as one who is definitely down on him. Given what we gave up for him, there should be some kind of a "wow" factor to his game - puck movement, shot, skating - something. There just wasn't. All I saw last year was a small defenceman with very average skating and a shot that didn't look like it would break a pane of glass. All the smart people in the hockey world were so high on this kid, and then when he gets to the NHL last year with a wide open shot at nailing down a full time job, he coughs up a fur ball. Disappointing to say the least.

Yes, he's young, defencemen take more time, yada yada yada, but still - this is what we got for Mark Freaking Stone? Seriously? I'll happily eat this post if he has a great season this coming year, but his 2019-20 was a step backwards...
How was it a step backwards? He had injuries and wasn’t even supposed to start in the NHL. You can’t compare him to what we gave up. You’re being too harsh and impatient.s

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

Mark Stone was going to walk and leave us with nothing because management could only get him to agree to a one year deal that took him to UFA status.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

Not his fault Dorion is a moron who waited until the last minute to trade Stone.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I like the return for Stone of Brannstrom and the 2nd in 2020. I’d rather have Bransstrom then Zadina or Kokiniemi who were a #6 and #3 overall pick and I wouldnt trade Brannstrom for a top 15 pick on this draft because you’d just be getting another Brannstrom.

this was quality over quantity. Brannstrom isn’t a #1 but he’s a top 4 and when we see his game mature he’s going to be amazing moving the puck through the neutral zone and dazzle at times in the O zone. His vision in Belleville was amazing at times.

he’s a bit small, but he’s solid and super competative.

rebuilds need quality pieces, not quantity. We trade Stone for a 1st and 2nd it might be sexier because we can all dream of the new shinny prospect, but honestly Brannstrom has put the rebuild of the D with JBD and Thomson as maybe our best overall position and that’s with everyone talking about our F prospects all the time.

Brannstrom is going to be good, he wants to make a difference and he will

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Well... he is playing a harder position but is the same age as Formenton and Batherson who haven’t played any better in the NHL/AHL than Brann. I don’t get why everyone is down on Brann but enthusiastic about Bath/Form.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
You can count me as one who is definitely down on him. Given what we gave up for him, there should be some kind of a "wow" factor to his game - puck movement, shot, skating - something..

How about his passing and excellent IQ. He was also robbed many times and hit the post on few occasions, he coulda easily had 5 goals.

Watch this, such a smart player:

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
He's a shifty player, but really needs to work on his foot speed and strength/Shot...Or even shoot at all. Tends to over handle the puck, but it seems to be his best asset.

Reactions: Sens in Process

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
This is blowing my mind. Yea I get he was the center piece for Stone, but that’s not his fault and shouldn’t be factored into the equation.

But where the f*** are people coming up with this idea of average skating, and that he has a poor shot?

He is a solid skater, shifty, with good edges and agility. He also has a quick and accurate shot.

He could improve his balance, but that will come with physical maturity. His shot isn’t the hardest, but he’s a shoot for deflection type of guy. He goes for the shot pass, deflections, or fake shots passes rather than unloading with a one-timer or slap shot.

More power would definitely make goalies pay more attention to his shot, but he uses his elusiveness and IQ to get into the slot for a wrister where you don’t necessarily need to be Shea Weber.

He’s still right on track to be a #2 or #3, he just needs to get stronger, and build up some confidence in the NHL.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
How about his passing and excellent IQ. He was also robbed many times and hit the post on few occasions, he coulda easily had 5 goals.

Watch this, such a smart player:

He really needs to work on his shot. Release is way too slow, I did notice that every time he created any offense it was from the right side of the ice. Whether he was setting someone up with a pass, getting his shot through, freezing a defender and moving around him or even attacking the net. I think he needs to play right defense.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
He really needs to work on his shot. Release is way too slow, I did notice that every time he created any offense it was from the right side of the ice. Whether he was setting someone up with a pass, getting his shot through, freezing a defender and moving around him or even attacking the net. I think he needs to play right defense.

I somewhat agree. I don’t think he’s too indecisive or his release is too slow, I think he just tends to try and be too cute and wait for the perfect play to develop even when a shot at the net is the only option.

Becoming more of a threat with a slap shot factors into that, but I think it’s something that could be worked out with more coaching vs just having a harder shot.

Reactions: NB613 and Sweatred

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I somewhat agree. I don’t think he’s too indecisive or his release is too slow, I think he just tends to try and be too cute and wait for the perfect play to develop even when a shot at the net is the only option.

Becoming more of a threat with a slap shot factors into that, but I think it’s something that could be worked out with more coaching vs just having a harder shot.
I dunno in the highlite pack goalies were literally in position waiting for it. I think we agree his shot needs alot of work in many aspects.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He should be top pairing
Not sure he will ever be a guy on a top pairing, we aren’t going to be relying on him as a defensive guy, and he will never be the guy we put out there to lead a top pairing for offense.

He’s a very good option to be on a 2nd pairing as the guy who we want with the puck dictating the breakouts, but I’m not sure how successful you would be if he was on your top pair.

Torey Krug is a guy like him, but he gets a lot of power play time Brannstrom won’t get. He’s 4th in ice time on D in Boston and is the guy controlling the puck on the 2nd pairing. I think Krug without the powerplay and a better even strength game is what we are looking at, something around 20 minutes a night of even strength and PP time. This is of course on a hypothetical contending Sens team.

Without Krug play on the power play he’s an average 2nd pairing D, but with his ability on the PP he is a weapon. If Krug was a guy they had playing top line minutes they wouldn’t be too happy with his play outside of his PP dominance.

Last edited:
Reactions: robsenz and aragorn

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Put him on his preferred side (RD?) and let him play with a strong LD like Wolanin.

Reactions: NB613

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Trade Bait:

- I would much rather have Sanderson or Guhle in the second pairing behind Chabot. I also think Ottawa already has two good RD in JBD & Thomson coming. Brannstrom might be a better passer than these two, but both should be much better all around & IMO JBD could be the perfect partner for Chabot. Thomson could fit in behind JBD on the 2nd pairing with Sanderson or Guhle. I actually think it might come down to one of Brannstrom or Thomson staying, but not both.

A - Vision, IQ
B - playmaking/passing
C - shot, skating
D- size, strength & defensive play

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Very shifty player who will excell as Ottawa's roster improves. There's a reason he does so well in the ahl, they were relatively stacked with good forwards and he somehow got them the puck.

Wait until Ottawa had impact forwards who are given the puck from him time and time again.

Watch that highlight package above, he serves up a couple of passes on a T, but they aren't converted.

I agree though, his shot needs honing. His skating is fine and dandy though.

Reactions: NB613 and derriko

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Not sure he will ever be a guy on a top pairing, we aren’t going to be relying on him as a defensive guy, and he will never be the guy we put out there to lead a top pairing for offense.

He’s a very good option to be on a 2nd pairing as the guy who we want with the puck dictating the breakouts, but I’m not sure how successful you would be if he was on your top pair.

Torey Krug is a guy like him, but he gets a lot of power play time Brannstrom won’t get. He’s 4th in ice time on D in Boston and is the guy controlling the puck on the 2nd pairing. I think Krug without the powerplay and a better even strength game is what we are looking at, something around 20 minutes a night of even strength and PP time. This is of course on a hypothetical contending Sens team.

Without Krug play on the power play he’s an average 2nd pairing D, but with his ability on the PP he is a weapon. If Krug was a guy they had playing top line minutes they wouldn’t be too happy with his play outside of his PP dominance.

Since he’s so comfortable on the right can’t he play 1st PP with Chabot? That would be a very strong 1st unit.

Reactions: derriko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad