Player Discussion Erik Brännström - D - Left is Right edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
They should stop worrying about left and right side here. Pair him with wolanin, who is also comfortable on both sides, and let them do what they gotta do.
I'd worry about that duo playing against some of the bigger forward lines personally, although I like the idea.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I'd worry about that duo playing against some of the bigger forward lines personally, although I like the idea.
They'd be so versatile together, I'd hope. Both can skate, both can play either side (left and right) but also good on both ends of the ice. Wolanin isn't that small, 6'2" 185 (similar to Demelo) and although brannstrom is shorter, he's still 180, so a bit stocky.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

20191120_225630.jpg

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
They could play him left side at even strength, and right side on the power play.
Certainly worth considering. Opposition can not lock in expectations as he switches things around.
I’d consider looking at a Chabot -Wolanin and a Brannstrom - Demelo set of pairings next year. Both LD get their potential long term partners. Bottom three would be interesting if Jaros and LaJoie both push for NHL time.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Certainly worth considering. Opposition can not lock in expectations as he switches things around.
I’d consider looking at a Chabot -Wolanin and a Brannstrom - Demelo set of pairings next year. Both LD get their potential long term partners. Bottom three would be interesting if Jaros and LaJoie both push for NHL time.

I think the Sens will target some off season dman with their prospects and assets. Try to find a 10 year younger version of Hainsey on a cap team who is pushing for top 4 minutes and money who is set to be exposed to Seattle anyway.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
It’s possible. You talking trade or UFA. That pool seems a little light on young stud D this year. I do think the two of them push for roster spots next year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Brannstrom would be a good trade piece for someone while his value is still high. I wonder if Florida would be interested in him for Serron Noel RW.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Brannstrom would be a good trade piece for someone while his value is still high. I wonder if Florida would be interested in him for Serron Noel RW.
Noel is a late 2nd in value at this point, in no way is he worth anything close to Brannstrom.

He's looked awful in Kitchener

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

What makes a former 2nd round pick struggling to put up a pt per game in the OHL a year and a half after being drafted worth a 20 year old dman pushing a pt per game in the AHL?

Reactions: FlyingJ

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

Never heard of Noel but is he over 6 feet and weighs more than 200 pounds?

Reactions: Emrasie

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Noel is a late 2nd in value at this point, in no way is he worth anything close to Brannstrom.
Let's get something better for him than, but IMO Noel would be a big part of this future team especially given he plays RW a position Ottawa is thin on.

I doubt your assessment though, Noel has had a difficult transition to Kitchener & was injured shortly after arriving, but the skill level is still there. I remember L. Brown not doing so well when he was traded there either & taking a while to transition. Noel could be a prominent player for Ottawa given the other players Ottawa already has & could draft.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Let's get something better for him than, but IMO Noel would be a big part of this future team especially given he plays RW a position Ottawa is thin on.

I doubt your assessment though, Noel has had a difficult transition to Kitchener & was injured shortly after arriving, but the skill level is still there. I remember L. Brown not doing so well when he was traded there either & taking a while to transition. Noel could be a prominent player for Ottawa given the other players Ottawa already has & could draft.
Then try and trade a 2nd for him, I doubt the Panthers would turn it down.

Brown scored 51 points in 37 games for Kitchener, Noel will need to turn it around bigtime.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What makes a former 2nd round pick struggling to put up a pt per game in the OHL a year and a half after being drafted worth a 20 year old dman pushing a pt per game in the AHL?
I thought we all saw Brannstrom struggle defensively in the NHL & most thought he needed to go back to the AHL? He is a good AHL player he will carve out a decent NHL carer likely, but I don't see superstar in this guy at all & looks more like he will continue to get dominated defensively. He is a good offensively but not great & could be a good PP quarterback, but we have Chabot & Wolanin for that. We should move this guy while his value is still quite high for a position Ottawa needs to upgrade.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Then try and trade a 2nd for him, I doubt the Panthers would turn it down.

Brown scored 51 points in 37 games for Kitchener, Noel will need to turn it around bigtime.
Look at Noel's stats before he was traded, maybe it's just not a good fit in Kitchener for him, who knows but he is certainly a big skilled player, there is no denying that. 81 pts last yr in Oshawa, 53 pts the yr before on a crappy OHL team, this guy is going to be a powerful force in the NHL.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I thought we all saw Brannstrom struggle defensively in the NHL & most thought he needed to go back to the AHL? He is a good AHL player he will carve out a decent NHL carer likely, but I don't see superstar in this guy at all & looks more like he will continue to get dominated defensively. He is a good offensively but not great & could be a good PP quarterback, but we have Chabot & Wolanin for that. We should move this guy while his value is still quite high for a position Ottawa needs to upgrade.
You not seeing in a superstar in him is different than wanting to trade him for an average prospect in Noel. That would be a compete hose job.

Brannstrom was decent defensively in Ottawa. It’s the offense that was lacking which he’s working on now.

your evaluation is off on both players here

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You not seeing in a superstar in him is different than wanting to trade him for an average prospect in Noel. That would be a compete hose job.

Brannstrom was decent defensively in Ottawa. It’s the offense that was lacking which he’s working on now.

your evaluation is off on both players here
we'll see.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Well, aside for disagreeing with your assesment of his play at the NHL level where imo his defensive play was fine, but he wasn't taking advantage of his offensive skillset, more time need in the AHL as a 20 yr old Dman does not equal poor value, and certainly wouldn't equate his value to Noel.

Having said that, I get that you don't value the type of player Brannstrom is as much as some, and don't see room for him in our future outlook, but I think you're dreaming if you thing Dorion is going to trade the crown jewel of his Stone trade so quickly after acquiring him, particularly if it's because assets we already had are making him redundant in your mind. The reality is Dorion actively targetted him knowing Wolanin and Chabot were in the system. We won't see Brannstrom move for anything other than a massive overpayment imo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Look at Noel's stats before he was traded, maybe it's just not a good fit in Kitchener for him, who knows but he is certainly a big skilled player, there is no denying that. 81 pts last yr in Oshawa, 53 pts the yr before on a crappy OHL team, this guy is going to be a powerful force in the NHL.

Lets say he maintained his pace from last year, which was significantly better than his pace this year before the trade, he's still not really putting up particularly impressive numbers. Guys like Klimchuk and Chlapik put up those kind of numbers. Not somebody that would bring back a prospect like Brannstom.

Noel has some potential, sure, but until he goes out there and shows it, he's not a big trade piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad