Player Discussion Erik Brännström - D - Left is Right edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Look at Noel's stats before he was traded, maybe it's just not a good fit in Kitchener for him, who knows but he is certainly a big skilled player, there is no denying that. 81 pts last yr in Oshawa, 53 pts the yr before on a crappy OHL team, this guy is going to be a powerful force in the NHL.
His stats before being traded were pedestrian as well.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
And he was playing his offside a lot up here. Back on his natural side in Belleville. I see him as a 1-2 set with Chabot. Transition our breakout to the LD side and add an extra thought for the opposition. We are well past the Eric Karlsson RD breakout system. And since most teams use that one, why not be different. As long as the talent is there.
Wolanin can also play there, but I’d really like to see him get a shot riding shotgun with Chabot. Brannstrom gets Demelo. Start with that next year and see where it goes. Zaitsev, Reilly, Borowiecki (?), Jaros. Fight for roster spots. Assume Hainsey is traded. And there are others who will push.

Reactions: SensFan1010

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
And he was playing his offside a lot up here. Back on his natural side in Belleville. I see him as a 1-2 set with Chabot. Transition our breakout to the LD side and add an extra thought for the opposition. We are well past the Eric Karlsson RD breakout system. And since most teams use that one, why not be different. As long as the talent is there.
Wolanin can also play there, but I’d really like to see him get a shot riding shotgun with Chabot. Brannstrom gets Demelo. Start with that next year and see where it goes. Zaitsev, Reilly, Borowiecki (?), Jaros. Fight for roster spots. Assume Hainsey is traded. And there are others who will push.
He prefers his offside

Reactions: bert

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well, aside for disagreeing with your assesment of his play at the NHL level where imo his defensive play was fine, but he wasn't taking advantage of his offensive skillset, more time need in the AHL as a 20 yr old Dman does not equal poor value, and certainly wouldn't equate his value to Noel.

Having said that, I get that you don't value the type of player Brannstrom is as much as some, and don't see room for him in our future outlook, but I think you're dreaming if you thing Dorion is going to trade the crown jewel of his Stone trade so quickly after acquiring him, particularly if it's because assets we already had are making him redundant in your mind. The reality is Dorion actively targetted him knowing Wolanin and Chabot were in the system. We won't see Brannstrom move for anything other than a massive overpayment imo.
I do agree that Dorion isn't moving him, that is clearly obvious.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I do agree that Dorion isn't moving him, that is clearly obvious.

Good thing Dorion isnt the coach. Ultimately if he is way better on right DJ will play him right. Probably the dumbest idea ive ever heard from this organization, since they tried to force Chabot to play out of position.

Plenty of amazing d men play the wrong side. Gonchar for the sens if people recall, Giordano is another.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Brannstrom would be a good trade piece for someone while his value is still high. I wonder if Florida would be interested in him for Serron Noel RW.

If you think his value is high now, just wait till we don’t trade him and he makes it full time while running the PP with Chabot, eventually putting up 40-60 points. Then you’ll see some really high value. Maybe we could even move him for Michael Rasmussen at that point? Or Brian Boyle if he’s still playing? Is Paul Gaustad still around??

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

saskytaxi

Feb 13, 2019
sasky
I thought we all saw Brannstrom struggle defensively in the NHL & most thought he needed to go back to the AHL? He is a good AHL player he will carve out a decent NHL carer likely, but I don't see superstar in this guy at all & looks more like he will continue to get dominated defensively. He is a good offensively but not great & could be a good PP quarterback, but we have Chabot & Wolanin for that. We should move this guy while his value is still quite high for a position Ottawa needs to upgrade.
Hes 20

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So I just went back and watched a bunch of Brannstrom during his draft year. He definitely played mostly left side other than PP where it was a mix. One thing I did notice is during zone entries, if he is coming up the left side his head is up and he utilizes the pass or threat of it more for zone entry where’s if he is coming up the right side he always keeps possession right into the zone and gets to the corner behind the goal line where he spins and then looks at his options.
Defensively he seems to close the gap better and positions his stick better when he is being attacked on the left side.
Overall I think the coach and GM might be right that he will be better on the left.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pretty weird that a lot of people still are not too high on Brannstrom.

He is the highest ranked prospect for us still on Dobber

A lot of interest in our boy

4 of the top 10 most viewed profiles ate sens players... Not sure what to make of that

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I really don't know about you guys but this guy was dazzling even before that goal he just scored.

He literally almost scored a similar insane highlight reel goal in the NHL last time he was up. I forgot who it was against (Dallas?) He absolutely walked some guy with a disgusting move and just missed.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
He prefers his offside
But he is dominating (again) playing his LD side in Belleville.
I wonder if his preference for the RD side is more about control of the breakout as most teams use the Right side for that. With Chabot on the left as well, we could change up that expectation if Brannstrom stayed there

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
this kids success is going to be linked to his defense partner. If you look at Q. Hughes in Vancouver, he is either with 6-8 Myers or 6-2 Tanev. Both are big, both can skate. Hughes plays away from traffic and his puck handling skills shine. So which side Brannstrom plays? may depend on who is next to him.

You need to pair Bannstrom with the Sens version of Myers or Tanev. Right now, I am not sure who that is? and if he exists? and if he does not? well post 2,000 on this thread will most likely read "Brannstrom traded to team xxxxxx" or more likley "Brannstrom and yyyy, traded to team xxxxx"

if you are wondering, Torey Krug has 6-5 Brandon Carlo.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
this kids success is going to be linked to his defense partner. If you look at Q. Hughes in Vancouver, he is either with 6-8 Myers or 6-2 Tanev. Both are big, both can skate. Hughes plays away from traffic and his puck handling skills shine. So which side Brannstrom plays? may depend on who is next to him.

You need to pair Bannstrom with the Sens version of Myers or Tanev. Right now, I am not sure who that is? and if he exists? and if he does not? well post 2,000 on this thread will most likely read "Brannstrom traded to team xxxxxx" or more likley "Brannstrom and yyyy, traded to team xxxxx"

Jacob Bernard-Docker.

Chabot-Drysdale
Brannstrom-JBD
Lajoie-Thomson

It's perfect.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
The vast majority of euros do grow up playing the other side, and it is an adjustment when they come to the NHL.

The reason they commonly play the "off side" is the difference in the ice surface and how it dictates the game is played. Watch international hockey and you will see it almost resembles a basketball or soccer game where the idea is to keep it away from the center. Because of the width (and depth of where the blue line is), in international hockey there is far less chasing players and board play, its a more zone style. Thus the advantage is to have your shot in towards the center of the ice. And in fact you can see this in north american hockey during a PP, where the setup is much closer to the international game (less board play and chasing more zone style D), and, guess what, the D pretty much always switch for a PP in the NHL.

The issue during regular play is think about how your body is positioned going into the boards if you are chased/hounded. If you are in the d zone, it means your head is facing back towards your own end (not up the ice) and if you want to chip it out, its a near blind backhand attempt. Be on the correct side, its a forehand where you have fully visibility. Same in the offensive zone, you go to the boards, you lose visibility and the forehand is actually facing your own net.

Yes some players do play their off side. Many play significant time on the PP, or are lefties who are just stuck playing the right because of the lack of RHD in the league (or just care about scoring). But it lowers the odds of making good plays in board battle situations.

That all said i am a bit torn on this issue. I do not believe Branstrom can reach his full potential playing behind Chabot, he is not that defensive stalwart, he needs PP time to be effective. Despite the issues, he may still be better off on the right hand side.

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006

I think Jaros gets a shot to be that guy next year. Big physical RHD who can skate and has decent offensive instincts that he's already showed at the NHL. He's been a rock in Belleville but rarely gets talked about on here (I guess that's kinda my bad)

Reactions: WaitingInVain
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->