Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
This is the first year that he played over 10 games so 6 more 26-27?

Thanks - just looking at 6 years of control (UFA) of Brann vs 7 more of Stone. 4-5 of the Brann years may be “good+” . Brann has residual value after those years. Stone probably tails off a bit and has close to none at the end.

A late first round pick type player who takes 3-5 years of development and proves 4-5 productive years is expensive. Extending them and buying out their UFA years is expensive too.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Thanks - just looking at 6 years of control (UFA) of Brann vs 7 more of Stone. 4-5 of the Brann years may be “good+” . Brann has residual value after those years. Stone probably tails off a bit and has close to none at the end.

A late first round pick type player who takes 3-5 years of development and proves 4-5 productive years is expensive. Extending them and buying out their UFA years is expensive too.

Bridge him and have him as a RFA when he is 25. The teams in last place Stone or Brann....saving 8 million a year to suck. That seams reasonable

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Bridge him and have him as a RFA when he is 25. The teams in last place Stone or Brann....saving 8 million a year to suck. That seams reasonable

For sure - I’m sorta extending this too the value of a late first round pick for Pager or someone.

Our late first round forwards haven’t provided a lot of productivity for us .

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
For sure - I’m sorta extending this too the value of a late first round pick for Pager or someone.

Our late first round forwards haven’t provided a lot of productivity for us .

Most don’t thats why the more you get the better the odds are you luck out sooner or later

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Most don’t thats why the more you get the better the odds are you luck out sooner or later

Ya ... but that puts Pager’s value around a guy who is a coin toss that may help the team out for 3-5 years before hitting UFA. We have a pretty sure thing in front of us.

Reactions: NB613

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Ya ... but that puts Pager’s value around a guy who is a coin toss that may help the team out for 3-5 years before hitting UFA. We have a pretty sure thing in front of us.
This team isnt going to need help for 4 or so years anyway, does it hurt to keep him? Nope.
Does he want to stay for a rebuild unless he gets an offer he can’t refuse? That’s the question, if he won’t sign
What can you do?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
As of today he is pacing out as the third highest PPG in AHL history as a 20 year old dman.
Still not enough games but looking strong as an AHL player.

Reactions: NB613 and Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
As of today he is pacing out as the third highest PPG in AHL history as a 20 year old dman.

Was this top 3 20 year olds ... or top 3 AHL Dman ?

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

Wait, what am I missing? I don't see how you're coming up with this.

Gaston Gingras? Darren Veitsch? Drake Berehowski? Erik Karlsson?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Wait, what am I missing? I don't see how you're coming up with this.

Gaston Gingras? Darren Veitsch? Drake Berehowski? Erik Karlsson?

Karlsson only payed 12 games, but he did have 11 points so it’s close to the same pace. the other guys turned 21 during the season so I am guessing the site filtered them out. Same with anyone under 20 games.
But those are some guys from the 70’s and 80’s, it’s hard to find guys that produced better

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Uhhh aren’t we severely lacking on the right side?
Not really. I guess it really depends on what they do with Demelo.

JBD will be in Belleville by the end of the year and probably get some games with Ottawa next season. Thomson the same.

Jaros is just marinating in the AHL and could easily be our 3rd pair RHD.

I think one of Brannstrom/Wolanin will need to play a bit of RHD next year.

Boro can also play on the right side.

Zaitsev is still around.

Also wouldn't be shocked if we drafted Drysdale with the 2nd first.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Uhhh aren’t we severely lacking on the right side?

"I think as an organization we’ve had internal debates about whether he’s better on the left side or right side," Dorion said during a radio hit in Ottawa last week following the trade for defenceman Mike Reilly.
"I think the two people that matter the most, the coach and the GM, think he’s better on the left side."
Memo to the 20-year-old kid – your opinion takes a back seat.

Senators believe left is right for prospect Erik Brannstrom - Sportsnet.ca

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
"I think as an organization we’ve had internal debates about whether he’s better on the left side or right side," Dorion said during a radio hit in Ottawa last week following the trade for defenceman Mike Reilly.
"I think the two people that matter the most, the coach and the GM, think he’s better on the left side."

As most parents already know....

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

He looked better playing the right side in Belleville as well but is not back to playing the left there.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I realize that he is a playmaker first and foremost, but man it would be nice if he could score a goal once in a while. That shot of his wouldn't break a pane of glass - it definitely falls into the "needs improvement" category. Most of these kids have a cannon of a shot, but of course can't create the time and space to get it away at the pro level. He's the opposite - creates time and space, but doesn't score...

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Dorian has talked about his preference to develop him on the left side despite his preference to play right.
dorion also said he wanted lazar on the wing because when hes center he plays nicer and likes to pass but on the wing he has no choice but to shoot... a coach Pierre Dorion most definitely is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad