Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

Status
Not open for further replies.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Duclair is playing and practicing at both RW and LW with the Sens. White has been at C and RW, Brown21 at LW, LD, & C and will likely have a RW setup on a future PP. The Sens are in teaching and development mode.

Duclair could always play both sides.

Brown is forced in to a new role due to not cracking the lineup as a C...he may do a few line rushes as a winger but he is being developed as a C.

White had played both before too.

PP setup isnt relevant to learning a new position. They can all still play hockey from the opposite side on a PP.

I am not arguing that it wouldn't be great for Brann to be equally capable on LD and RD.

What I am saying is that to begin his career they shouldn't be trying to force him to his weak side. Let him excel and show how he can play on RD and work on LD as he matures.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Duclair could always play both sides.

Brown is forced in to a new role due to not cracking the lineup as a C...he may do a few line rushes as a winger but he is being developed as a C.

White had played both before too.

PP setup isnt relevant to learning a new position. They can all still play hockey from the opposite side on a PP.

I am not arguing that it wouldn't be great for Brann to be equally capable on LD and RD.

What I am saying is that to begin his career they shouldn't be trying to force him to his weak side. Let him excel and show how he can play on RD and work on LD as he matures.

I can respect the view. I'm sure Brann has played LD at some point in his life. In the end Brann is playing and learning both positions (which are very similar).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Moving on from arguing …. My take on the article had defensive advantages too as dman escape a classic inside out forecheck etc. I do think in Bran's good side is his weak side so for the sake of the article we should switch strong and weak sides. I also think DJ's view of how Brann challenges forwards, takes away lanes, and breaks out of his own end is different than the offensive off side puck handling Brann does in the offensive end. DJ may not like the way be presents below the goal line from his off side etc.

Really what I am saying is I think we all watch him in the neutral and offensive zone on his off side and may not be picking up on strong side/weak side issue in his own end.

Not sure what you mean by this; are you suggesting that we should consider him as a RHD in terms of the articles overall conclusions and cross train him on the left side? If that's the case, I disagree, as the article talks a lot about the physical advantages of playing the off side; in the OZ using the body against the boards to seal in the play, in the DZ being on the forhand for a 1st pass when chased behind behind the net by the forcheck, or when trying to play it out off the glass.

To me, the article is less about training players to mentally be good on both sides, and more about the physical advantages of playing D on the off side. The conclusion states it outright, "The study’s results should strongly urge coaches to play defensemen off-handed... [or] coaches should consider having defensemen switch sides as they move up the ice" It seems to me the article's position on Brannstrom would be keep him on the right.

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
I would love to have:

Chabot - branstrom
Jbd- thompson
Wolanin-zaitsev

Thats a solid d core could even be top 5 in the NHL

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I took issue with it too. He's looked better on the right side to me
Offensively he has. Have you seen a difference in the D zone (not puck retrieval) because he seems better on the left to me. The fact is that we have a very small sample size.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
playing your off side D on the PP....that's hardly the same as playing your off wing D in 5 on 5 for a regular shift...

Well nothing is ever “the same”. For Brann to learn/develop he needs a little more time or opportunity than what he might get in :45 sec of second unit PP. Plus he sometimes plays his off wing on the PP. if you want to get him some Strong side game reps he pretty much has to play his strong side 5x5.

Reactions: Emrasie

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
I would love to have:

Chabot - branstrom
Jbd- thompson
Wolanin-zaitsev

Thats a solid d core could even be top 5 in the NHL

The skill levels would be off the charts. The toughness would be non-existent and they would be pounded into submission. JBD and Thompson have yet to play in the NHL. So, you have a second pair defense with 2 rookies? Are you not concerned about their inexperience? And how long do you anticipate before they mature and can be trusted together? Pair 3 may be the only sound pairing.
You don't suppose that when say Washington comes to town, that Reirden throws Wilson and Hathaway over the boards and has them make a beeline for Brannstrom and Chabot??? No Chara to protect them. And if you ask Tkachuk to be the team enforcer, wow.. These 6 are available to the Sens right now. Neither DJ nor Pierre is likely to experiment.
If it is these 6, then I doubt in that pairing. And certainly not as early as next year. I am guessing at least one or two of the 6 will be different, as early as 2021/2022.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think we will see

Chabot - JBD
Brann - Thomson.

I think Thomson is the toughest of the 4 and best suited to compliment EB eventually.

Reactions: NB613 and Emrasie

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I didn't say anything about being a complete player is bad.

If he excels at RD he should be developed as a complete player on that side.

We have Wolanin coming back on LD as well and need more RD anyway.

Did you agree with Chabot being played RD when he came up? He struggled and instantly played better when moved back to LD.

So how do you suggest he develop some skill/confidence on his “strong side” (left side) ? Do you think if we play him on the right through 20-22 he will end up as as an elite DMAN covering both sides of the ice? What does your medical/player developmental Spidy Senses tell you ?

To be clear - Brann’s “good” offensive side is his “Weak side / right side”. His “Strong side “ is not his strong side and he need work on that left side.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I didn't say anything about being a complete player is bad.

If he excels at RD he should be developed as a complete player on that side.

We have Wolanin coming back on LD as well and need more RD anyway.

Did you agree with Chabot being played RD when he came up? He struggled and instantly played better when moved back to LD.

THANK GOD we have Wolanin coming back. That will save everything. #Wolanin+White=StanleyCup

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Playing a young, developing defenseman on a side he’s not comfortable seems like the perfect way to make sure he doesn’t reach his potential. It’s very Guy Boucher-esque.

I don’t know if anyone caught the New York Giants’ new coach’s introductory press conference, but he said the main thing he learned from Bill Belichick is to put players in positions where they’re comfortable and can use their strengths, not in positions that you “want” them to be in. Don’t put a round peg in a square hole.

Brannstrom has played most of his career on the right. He’s had more success on the right. He prefers the right.

Keep him on the right.

Besides, RDs are harder to find and are valued at a premium. Why wouldn’t you want Brannstrom to fill that role?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
So how do you suggest he develop some skill/confidence on his “strong side” (left side) ? Do you think if we play him on the right through 20-22 he will end up as as an elite DMAN covering both sides of the ice? What does your medical/player developmental Spidy Senses tell you ?

To be clear - Brann’s “good” offensive side is his “Weak side / right side”. His “Strong side “ is not his strong side and he need work on that left side.

Why don’t we play Tkachuk at RW instead of the position he’s developed playing? He should develop confidence at RW and not just LW too, right?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
So trying to teach a young player to become more complete at a young age is now a bad thing? Just proves the organization is taking its time with Brannstrom and want him to become the best he can be.

I hope that if we draft Lafreniere, we move him out of position so he can become “complete” too.

I mean, I remember when the Avalanche brought up Makar and then decided to play him on the side he’s not comfortable or good at...

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Why don’t we play Tkachuk at RW instead of the position he’s developed playing? He should develop confidence at RW and not just LW too, right?

Simple -

the DMAN responsibilities for his strong side are very different (more significant) than the forwards responsibilities for his off side.

Do you need more info ? Research dman strong side breakout, strong side defence, strong side PK, PP etc.

let me know if you need more help or info...

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Simple -

the DMAN responsibilities for his strong side are very different (more significant) than the forwards responsibilities for his off side.

Do you need more info ? Research dman strong side breakout, strong side defence, strong side PK, PP etc.

let me know if you need more help or info...

I mean if Pierre Dorion wanted a LD, he should have traded for a defenseman who played LD. If he really believes a defenseman should play the same side as his handedness, he shouldn’t have gone after Brannstrom.

Brannstrom is a RD. It’s hard enough to break into the NHL playing the position you’ve played your entire life, why make a change when a kid is just trying to establish himself?

Remember when Boucher came up with the brilliant idea to move Chabot to the right, and he got caved in? That was genius.

I guess there are still remnants of Guy’s genius ideas floating around.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I mean if Pierre Dorion wanted a LD, he should have traded for a defenseman who played LD. If Dorion really believes a defenseman should play the same side as his handedness, he shouldn’t have gone after Brannstrom.

Brannstrom is a RD. It’s hard enough to break into the NHL playing the position you’ve played your entire life, why make a change when a kid is just trying to establish himself?

Remember when Boucher came up with the brilliant idea to move Chabot to the right, and he got caved in? That was genius.

I guess there are still remnants of Guy’s genius ideas floating around.

Do you have any stats about how much RD vs LD Brann has played ?

Brann is strong offensively on his RD ... no debate there .. what is your opinion of his dzone coverage as a LD on the right side ? What about his breakout to the left on his right side. There is more to his play than his right D regroup which is pretty good.

As fans we tend to watch the fancy stuff he produces off the right side. I trust DJ that he needs to improve his RD and LD coverage in his own end and neutral zone.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Do you have any stats about how much RD vs LD Brann has played ?

Brann is strong offensively on his RD ... no debate there .. what is your opinion of his dzone coverage as a LD on the right side ? What about his breakout to the left on his right side. There is more to his play than his right D regroup which is pretty good.

As fans we tend to watch the fancy stuff he produces off the right side. I trust DJ that he needs to improve his RD and LD coverage on his own end and neutral zone.

I mean, he’s said himself that he’s primarily played the right. In Sweden and North America. He was drafted as a RD. He played in the WJC as a RD. He had a great rookie AHL season as a RD.

He gets traded here and all of a sudden he’s going to be a LD, though.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I hope that if we draft Lafreniere, we move him out of position so he can become “complete” too.

I mean, I remember when the Avalanche brought up Makar and then decided to play him on the side he’s not comfortable or good at...
That’s not a good comparison since both play in their natural position. There’s nothing wrong with trying to get an LD to play his natural side. That’s not plugging a square peg into a round hole.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
THANK GOD we have Wolanin coming back. That will save everything. #Wolanin+White=StanleyCup
LMAO

Rent free right here in your kitchen.

Its messy as all get out and that wallpaper sucks but OK...I will stay.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
That’s not a good comparison since both play in their natural position. There’s nothing wrong with trying to get an LD to play his natural side. That’s not plugging a square peg into a round hole.

It is though.

Should Ovechkin be moved to RW?

If a player is developed at a certain position and is comfortable there, shows progress there and in fact shines there then why would you want to move him to another position?

It is correct that D is more difficult position to play at the NHL level so even if you do want to have Brann eventually move to LD at least let him become a legit NHL D before you do that.

And as has been said before RD are at a premium. Right shot D in particular but we have more openings on RD at the moment.

Reactions: bert

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It is though.

Should Ovechkin be moved to RW?

If a player is developed at a certain position and is comfortable there, shows progress there and in fact shines there then why would you want to move him to another position?

It is correct that D is more difficult position to play at the NHL level so even if you do want to have Brann eventually move to LD at least let him become a legit NHL D before you do that.

And as has been said before RD are at a premium. Right shot D in particular but we have more openings on RD at the moment.
I really don’t understand why you would use Laf or Ovy as examples. Those guys setsup on RW all the time. Brady takes face offs, Brown plays D etc.

I bet Laf plays LW, RW,D and C at some point. You guys are so worried about exposing a young dman to the “other side of the ice” . Do you think the puck will ever go there ? How do you expect Brann to get comfortable defending, breaking out etc etc on the left side ?

Every team in the league will isolate for Brann’s weakness. If he can’t turn or pivot or pass or defend from his left they drive their offence and forecheck to his weak side.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->