Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Unfortunately, missed the game, but I was shocked at how Mike Johnson the night before was blown away at the transformation, saying he saw more in that first period against Florida than practically his whole season. Injuries have given him a golden opportunity

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Unfortunately, missed the game, but I was shocked at how Mike Johnson the night before was blown away at the transformation, saying he saw more in that first period against Florida than practically his whole season. Injuries have given him a golden opportunity

Reminds me of when other guys like Zibanejad and Karlsson get brought back up after being sent down.

That first go-around (or two) always seems to be a bit of a "deer in the headlights" kind of situation.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Need to watch the highlights of the last 2 games as had to miss them...sounds very encouraging though!

Amazing how the tone can shift here if he has 2 or 3 more good games then maybe the Stone trade isnt terrible?

Just kidding...we will ride this rollercoaster for a while but I hope he keeps it up obviously.

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
I really enjoyed the Chabot Branstrom pairing last night. if that works out we should have the deadliest 1/2 in the league.. and would look very solid on the pp

Reactions: Chabobombski72

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Brannstrom showing comfort on the right side is a huge blessing for the team as it won't force us to keep our two best prospects on the left side

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Brannstrom showing comfort on the right side is a huge blessing for the team as it won't force us to keep our two best prospects on the left side

The issue might be Smith agreeing to play him on the right side

Listening to 1200 for a bit this morning and Brannstrom was being duscussed. Seems Brannstrom prefers to play right which is his off side. Seems Smith believes that D men belong on their strong side because they can make stronger plays with the puck.

there are two sides to every argument and in this instance Smith seems to be forcing Brannstrom to play what Brannstrom considers he weak side. Something has to give here

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
The issue might be Smith agreeing to play him on the right side

Listening to 1200 for a bit this morning and Brannstrom was being duscussed. Seems Brannstrom prefers to play right which is his off side. Seems Smith believes that D men belong on their strong side because they can make stronger plays with the puck.

there are two sides to every argument and in this instance Smith seems to be forcing Brannstrom to play what Brannstrom considers he weak side. Something has to give here

I hope the issue gets forced

chabot wolanin and brannstrom on the same side is a nice depth wise but I rather they be on two pairings instead of three

Reactions: Chabobombski72

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I’ve always targeted Wolanin as the puck mover to flip for someone with more size to round out TC, EB, LT, JBD etc...

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Sounds eerily familiar, no? Remember when Chabot had to play his offside (which he didn't ask for) b/c the left side was supposed to step up and the right was supposed to move the puck?

What a change when Chabot got to play his strong side.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
I know the team sees the RD locked up (when healthy) this year with Zaitsev, Demelo and Hainsey, but making one of them play their off side seems like a no-brainer after how EB looked last night playing on the right.

If Dorion & co. see him as a LD long term on the team with JBD and Lassi coming up then the change can be made later, keep him on the right side where he is comfortable for his rookie season imo

StutzlingAway

Feb 28, 2017
If he has always played the right side and actually performs better on the right side isn't it a no brainer to stop playing him on the left side?

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If he has always played the right side and actually performs better on the right side isn't it a no brainer to stop playing him on the left side?
He hasn't always played on the right side though. He's played a mix over his career and is comfortable playing either side, or at least that's how he characterized it earlier in the year when asked.

I think he mentioned he prefers the right side in the OZ, which sort of implies he prefers the left side in the DZ because otherwise he'd just say he prefers playing the right side.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Either play him on the right side in the NHL or keep him in Belleville.

Enough of this old-school stubborn coaching.

Or tell him to get it out of his head it’s better to be on the wrong side of the ice. If they sign Demelo the right side is already set.
If he develops into a solid second pairing guy on the left side the team is laughing.
Besides the AHL stint might have made him decide he ain’t going back and he will be just fine on the left. He has to get comfortable dragging the puck along the line instead of pushing it or his overall game will suffer.
Enough of bending over and letting the players run the show, those days are gone.
Besides I don’t think he cares what side he is on does he? What’s with the outrage and demands?

StutzlingAway

Feb 28, 2017
He hasn't always played on the right side though. He's played a mix over his career and is comfortable playing either side, or at least that's how he characterized it earlier in the year when asked.

I think he mentioned he prefers the right side in the OZ, which sort of implies he prefers the left side in the DZ because otherwise he'd just say he prefers playing the right side.
That is really interesting but it makes more sense. Thank you for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad