Erie Otters 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
for your other points:

I think you could say to every team.. “they need to hit on 1st rounders.” I would wager that it’s extremely unlikely to be a successful team without at least 1/2 first round picks leading the way. Honestly, in most cases you probably need 2/3. The teams that don’t have that probably have a college commit they took in round 10 (who talent wise was a first rounder when drafted) or an import who are making a big difference. So that’s not a big insight to say Erie needs to hit on their 1st rounders. My point was that having a top 4 pick in 2022, maybe the first overall pick, will make things easier….

In terms of wasting picks. We’ve been over this before. They did “waste” the picks on those 2022 3rd rounders. However, the premise behind it was logical at the time: Erie didn’t have high picks upcoming and traded away their youth from the years before. In order to compensate they took the risk on college kids. If they showed up, they would have reaped the rewards. Instead, it hurt. That said, 3rd round picks are far from guaranteed to be anything… let alone a star player. I don’t think that is the reason for any lack of success right now. Rather, having only 1 import on the roster (despite having top import picks the last few years) and Lockhart not developing is a much bigger hole in their success or lack of success. Not to say that those two situations makes them a top team in the league but it does however make them closer to, if not, a .500 team. If they were 10-10-1-1 would anybody have any issue? Probably not…

You hope they pick the right guy with the #1 pick overall if they get it.

I see your points but you parlay way too much optimism and your teachings havent been supported the last 5 years or so.

I only see Sova being classified as a top player (either top 6 fwd or top 4 dman) in the next 2-3 years, and thats not a good thing when only 1 player on your team can achieve that, considering they have had high picks.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Strange...

D'Amato and Hoff seem to have started to really play like OA vets...Sellan...no where to be found and he was the Hartsburg pet, it seemed.

If that doesn't give a huge insight into how OUT OF TOUCH Hartsburg was, I'm not sure anything will.

Reactions: OttersFan

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

I see your points but you parlay way too much optimism and your teachings havent been supported the last 5 years or so.

I only see Sova being classified as a top player (either top 6 fwd or top 4 dman) in the next 2-3 years, and thats not a good thing when only 1 player on your team can achieve that, considering they have had high picks.
The jury is not at all out on any 2005s… let alone the rest of the 2004s…. But sure, tell me again how Sova is the only player worth taking about. Please also continue to spin my points to something they aren’t…

Its reasonable to be “optimistic” about having a top 4 pick. Is it a guaranteed success? No. But is it more likely than 5th overall? Than 10th overall? Than 20th overall? Yes…that’s all I’m saying. Considering what we have already seen from this current roster and Sproule, is it also not fair to assume that Hartsburg impacted development of someone like Lockhart? We don’t have that stain anymore

All I’m pointing to is that their high picks are coming in 2022. If they indeed whiffed on Lockhart, then this is their chance to fix that and they will need to. Not to mention that the 2021 draft was the first time in years they had a “normal” cupboard of picks. Which should be something we see the dividens of in 2/3 years.

I’m one of the more negative people on here. But I’m also not going to spit and moan about everything when there are reasonable hurdles that have been in their way. With Hartsburg fired, with more high picks coming, and as we get further removed from COVID … things should get better. They can’t get much worse… so is there reason for optimism after finally moving on from a crap coach and seeing the team already showing small strides? Yup there is. I know we are going to see a top 4 pick added to this already pretty young roster. I know we are going to see them take a top 10 import player. How is that not reason for optimism? We are going to get more and more cracks at the can for top young talent. Combined with the current group still developing

Should we instead be negative about their top pick in 2022? We should just assume it will be a fail so not talk about it? Hmmm. Seems reasonable

Reactions: EON

Mata

Mar 4, 2019

Depending on how Terrance develops I think he has a chance with his skating ability. Right now he is just too raw to figure out though.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Depending on how Terrance develops I think he has a chance with his skating ability. Right now he is just too raw to figure out though.
Key work: develops

we can’t sit here and hate on the drafting or players on the team without acknowledging that the development under Hartsburg wasn’t there. In part because he was a bad coach and didn’t allow or understand how to get his players to succeed. By the end of it, he also had an entire locker of players that disliked him and borderlined had no respect for him. They toned him out.

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Key work: develops

we can’t sit here and hate on the drafting or players on the team without acknowledging that the development under Hartsburg wasn’t there. In part because he was a bad coach and didn’t allow or understand how to get his players to succeed. By the end of it, he also had an entire locker of players that disliked him and borderlined had no respect for him. They toned him out.

Well, I would like to think most of the lack of development was a direct result of the previous HC. If we can start to get these kids to their full potential we may just be onto something.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I’d say we have a game going for us but my OHL doesn’t have video… so frustrating.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Well, I would like to think most of the lack of development was a direct result of the previous HC. If we can start to get these kids to their full potential we may just be onto something.
For clarity, my comment wasn’t directed at you thinking it. I just think the coaching stunted a lot of potential growth. Certianly it makes me pause on my evaluations on player development

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
For clarity, my comment wasn’t directed at you thinking it. I just think the coaching stunted a lot of potential growth. Certianly it makes me pause on my evaluations on player development

I think we posted about the same time and I wasn't about to edit hahaha!!!

I also agree...he worked out for a couple people but in all honesty, Drysdale could have probably been a concensus top d-man on any team in the league so I don't think he helped there.

Reactions: NOA

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
So far it looks like another game where our offense is efficient but our defense is too inefficient and giving up way too many shots.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
So far it looks like another game where our offense is efficient but our defense is too inefficient and giving up way too many shots.
I hate that we never put it all together. The offense is clicking, means the defnese/goalies give up 7 goals. The goalie stands on his head, we can’t score 2/3 goals. Typical Erie way of losing. I think this Flint team is soooo basic. So to be 0-6 against them is downright pathetic. They aren’t a good team. You should luck into just 1/2 wins just by showing up

Side note: why was Lalonde not pulled? At some point stop the bleeding for the young kid. Nicholls hasn’t been playing in weeks now and it’s odd…

Roughly52

Mar 1, 2020
So like why the hell cant we beat Flint? Like other then Othman and Bertuzzi what do they have? Its infuriating that we cannot beat them at all

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
So like why the hell cant we beat Flint? Like other then Othman and Bertuzzi what do they have? Its infuriating that we cannot beat them at all
They have nothing… they are a mediocre team and we are 0-6.

The team is broken. Go up 2-0 and score 6 goals but still lose to a bottom half team. It’s not acceptable. BJ has done fine but you can’t fix 4 years of issues overnight. At least can we turn to youth development? I’m not sure why Sellan is out other than for injury but he should stay out of the lineup. They should also move DAmato. There isn’t much OA market out of HAM, GUE, LDN maybe. But either way, I’ll take anything better than what they got for Sproule. It’s not even about the assets. It’s about just open up all the ice for young kids. If we can lose 9-6 to flint and are 6-15-1-1 with the OAs, then I don’t think we can be much worse without.. keep Hoffmann around. But move from Sellan and DAmato

Reactions: OttersFan and Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
They have nothing… they are a mediocre team and we are 0-6.

The team is broken. Go up 2-0 and score 6 goals but still lose to a bottom half team. It’s not acceptable. BJ has done fine but you can’t fix 4 years of issues overnight. At least can we turn to youth development? I’m not sure why Sellan is out other than for injury but he should stay out of the lineup. They should also move DAmato. There isn’t much OA market out of HAM, GUE, LDN maybe. But either way, I’ll take anything better than what they got for Sproule. It’s not even about the assets. It’s about just open up all the ice for young kids. If we can lose 9-6 to flint and are 6-15-1-1 with the OAs, then I don’t think we can be much worse without.. keep Hoffmann around. But move from Sellan and DAmato

I would agree in that if D'Amato keeps this up, maybe try to move him over to the Eastern Conference and get draft capital. He seems to have really started to hit his mark after coming back from the Silver Knights and the departure of Hartsburg.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Also, Sellan was a scratch?
He was out. 2nd straight game, along with Saganiuk. So likely injuries. Though Saganiuk finished the Windsor game and was on the ice in OT.. so not sure what is going on there

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I would agree in that if D'Amato keeps this up, maybe try to move him over to the Eastern Conference and get draft capital. He seems to have really started to hit his mark after coming back from the Silver Knights and the departure of Hartsburg.
7 goals in his last 4 games if my math is correct. DAmato the only one really showing up. Lockhart still is such a disappointment. I don’t want to trade him because his stock is low and more likely to go up than further down… however, I’m getting frustrated with him. We drafted him 3rd overall and we needed him to be the face of the team by now. He’s never consistent despite having promising skills that should make him a better player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad