Erie Otters 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
G -Aidan Campbell commits to the Erie Otters !!! He appears to have some great stats and could have a very bright future ahead of him ..

Lockhart now Campbell - now we need Alexander ..

Lockhart is coming, I'm sure we'll see that signing official sometime in the near future.

Get one of Alexander/Swankler + hit on the import pick and this is a good offseason.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
This signing also means that we will not go goalie in the import draft.

The goalie situation, at least to start the season, has just been settled. And if Campbell reaches his potential, then Erie has their net basically figured out for the next 3-4 years. We are long overdue for a top goalie to sign and play here. Some have in the past, but not recently (the exception being the import draft). This is a kid with potential to be that top guy so it’s a great signing

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Lockhart is coming, I'm sure we'll see that signing official sometime in the near future.

Get one of Alexander/Swankler + hit on the import pick and this is a good offseason.

As much as I want Alexander/Swankler, the good news for Erie is that Saganiuk is a very strong possibility after he plays for the US Development team for a year. Saganiuk to me is biggest prize now, followed by Alexander, then Swankler

Let’s hope they do push for Alexander or Swankler which would then allow us to be fully committed to bringing in a defender in the import draft. Right now though, I could still see them taking a forward in the import draft. Just how Dave Brown operates - he wants skill and an offensive game. So unless they bring in a US forward before June, I expect them to be swayed towards a forward for the Import pick.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
As much as I want Alexander/Swankler, the good news for Erie is that Saganiuk is a very strong possibility after he plays for the US Development team for a year. Saganiuk to me is biggest prize now, followed by Alexander, then Swankler

Let’s hope they do push for Alexander or Swankler which would then allow us to be fully committed to bringing in a defender in the import draft. Right now though, I could still see them taking a forward in the import draft. Just how Dave Brown operates - he wants skill and a offensive game. So unless they bring in a US forward before June, I expect them to lean forward for the Import pick.

imo Alexander is the biggest prize, he looks like he could step right in as a top 6 C (if not top line) right away next season. I do agree otherwise though, I would put Saganiuk ahead of Swankler, especially because they get an extra pick later on if Swankler doesn't sign.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
imo Alexander is the biggest prize, he looks like he could step right in as a top 6 C (if not top line) right away next season. I do agree otherwise though, I would put Saganiuk ahead of Swankler, especially because they get an extra pick later on if Swankler doesn't sign.

Saganiuk has been considered by many to be a top 5-10 American prospect for his age group. If not for the small size, I think it would be said even more. The thing with the size is that it doesn’t bother me at all at the OHL level. Sure, it might limit or impact his NHL projectability and success but at the OHL level... size won’t necessarily be an issue if he has that much skill. He’s elite already and would make an impact this year if on the team. Problem is, he’s so dang good that he already made the USNDT and probably (likely) is going to be a top 3-6 forward on that team. He has 100 point, dominant OHL player potential.

I like Alexander a lot too and I think he’s a more well-rounded player with less size issues. From a pure talent standpoint, Saganiuk is the prize. Elite at so many things.

Personally I want both. The difference is that Saganiuk is more likely but Alexander is the only one who could play in 2019-20. I don’t necessarily know how much he will contribute as a 17 year old rookie. Regardless, Erie should be 100% all in on signing Alexander.

Signing him then Saganiuk in back to back years..
the forward roster in 2020 could be:

Fowler
Alexander
Lockhart
Hoffman
Cohen
Saganiuk
Sproule

I’m not even accounting for Golod, Yetman, or other guys that develop or are signed. But that’s an incredible amount of speed, skill, and talent.

All that said, I just don’t see us getting Alexander. Saganiuk appears like there is more smoke to the fire on that potential signing..
Let’s see if Alexander even shows up to rookie camp first which will be somewhat of an indication.

Last edited:
Reactions: EON

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Fair points ottersguy. I just see Alexander as the top prize because he could come in right now and contribute, and is also probably less likely to sign; whereas Saganiuk is guaranteed to be locked in to the NDP I believe for at least a season (not entirely sure of the rules there). I'll be happy if they get any of those three.

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Fair points ottersguy. I just see Alexander as the top prize because he could come in right now and contribute, and is also probably less likely to sign; whereas Saganiuk is guaranteed to be locked in to the NDP I believe for at least a season (not entirely sure of the rules there). I'll be happy if they get any of those three.
That’s a good point about the difficulty in getting Alexander. At this stage would be a huge pleasant suprise. Saganiuk (not college committed yet) I almost feel is on the current path to sign here eventually. Things can change but the path for him seems to be leaning towards here.

So yes, Alexander likely to contribute more for this coming year and a harder get overall. They are both great players who have top 6, high level potential. Erie should just get both :laugh:

Reactions: Mata

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Gera Poddubnyi has signed a 2 year deal with HC Torpedo of the KHL, best of luck to him. Opens up the Otters to use the #8 pick in the upcoming import draft.

Reactions: Mata

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Erie needs another FOEGELE
In the lineup

Wow is he having an amazing season or what for Carolina

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Does anyone know who the participants will be in the orientation camp next weekend?
Nobody likely knows. The only way to get the full roster information is through the team which they haven’t released yet

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The Midwest division has won 7 of the last 9 OHL Titles. Toughest division in junior hockey imo

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Yep pretty much.

Fingers crossed Alexander and/or Saganiuk are there.
I sense that Saganiuk will come if he can and is available. Imo Erie didn’t draft him without talking to him and seeing a decent interest. Doesn’t mean he will show up but I would hope that if he doesn’t, that question is asked of Brown and there is an explanation (i.e. prior commitments).

Would be shocked if Alexander does. But if he does.. I don’t let him leave without signing. If he’s that talented, you give him a gold package and you promise him immediate ice on a young team that with him in the fold should be competitive to great for the next 3 years.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I sense that Saganiuk will come if he can and is available. Imo Erie didn’t draft him without talking to him and seeing a decent interest. Doesn’t mean he will show up but I would hope that if he doesn’t, that question is asked of Brown and there is an explanation (i.e. prior commitments).

Would be shocked if Alexander does. But if he does.. I don’t let him leave without signing. If he’s that talented, you give him a gold package and you promise him immediate ice on a young team that with him in the fold should be competitive to great for the next 3 years.

I agree with that, also I wonder if there's any chance Swankler shows up? Unlikely but just a thought.

If Alexander is willing to sign, absolutely you give him a gold package and sign him immediately. He'd step right into the top 6.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Otters announcing a signing tomorrow before prospect camp this weekend. I'm guessing it will be Lockhart.

HarrynLloyd

Sep 23, 2013
Erie, PA
Otters announcing a signing tomorrow before prospect camp this weekend. I'm guessing it will be Lockhart.
Its official
Lockhart, a 6’6”, 261-pound forward, appeared in 41 games for the Kanata Lasers of Hockey Eastern Ontario where he produced 79 points (30G-49A) to tie for the league scoring title. The 16-year-old recorded 49 assists during the 2018-19 campaign to lead HEO and help earn Lockhart HEO Midget AAA Top Rookie honors for the season. A Kanata, Ontario native, Lockhart served as an alternate captain for Team Ontario at the 2019 Canada Winter Games, winning a silver medal while posting four goals and seven points in six games at the tournament.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Its official
Lockhart, a 6’6”, 261-pound forward, appeared in 41 games for the Kanata Lasers of Hockey Eastern Ontario where he produced 79 points (30G-49A) to tie for the league scoring title. The 16-year-old recorded 49 assists during the 2018-19 campaign to lead HEO and help earn Lockhart HEO Midget AAA Top Rookie honors for the season. A Kanata, Ontario native, Lockhart served as an alternate captain for Team Ontario at the 2019 Canada Winter Games, winning a silver medal while posting four goals and seven points in six games at the tournament.

Where did you get his size from? He’s about 5’9 160ish

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
The poster must have accidentally added a about a foot of height and 100 pounds ..

Nice signing !!

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
No Swankler, Alexander, or Saganiuk this weekend. Bummer.
Can’t be suprised about Swankler given his age and the fact that his USHL team just won the Clark Cup last night in chicago... he wasn’t available regardless

Saganiuk I wouldn’t panic about. Like I said, I would hope to see him but given that he already has a signed contract with USNDT, was it even possible?. Curious of Max Jones or Tkachuk showed up to London in 2014 under similar circumstances. I wanted him to show but didn’t expect it. I wonder if it’s not allowed or frowned on by the USA team? We all know how weird they are about their guys being anywhere near the CHL (Debrincat WJC 2017 comes to mind). I could be wrong but I really do wonder if he’s just not allowed to..

Alexander the only real disappointment but I’ve said for awhile now that I don’t expect him to sign. We really messed up that pick and the Carogioiello pick that was made 2 picks later. Both went college route..

Brown better land Saganiuk and a legit 2002 import or this current cycle of players will likely never be top tier title contenders as we lack the needed amount of high end players. Great depth, great drafting overall. So doesn’t mean we stink but just capped off as a 40 win, 2nd/3rd round exit type team. Overall, our limited high picks we have had since 2016 will start to catch up if the ones we do have are used on no show college kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad