Erie Otters 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
This season has shown a lot of promise and I think some wonderful emotional bonds were formed in the players love for this city. I hope it translates to more players wanting to come play for our town.

That being said, I am really keeping my fingers crossed for a good off season. We obviously need an elite center, someone who has that killer instinct which was probably the biggest glaring hole we had up front. We have a tremendous supporting crew, but with Gera possibly leaving no "true leader" up front IMO, if we can't land 1 or 2 top tier attackers, next season will be lost too. Drysdale should cement the back his sophomore year, but I think in order for us to have any shot at a run in the playoffs we will need to shore up that D as well. Duff, Drysdale, Martin, and Henry did pretty well, but after that the play was pretty suspect.

Murphy and Ceci played their tail off and time and time again against the elite clubs we left the backside open for tap ins, that doesn't come from poor play between the pipes, it is just bad defense.

I am looking forward to the off season and seeing how the support players grow. I really feel like we are on the cusp of a team that could make a decent run.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Appears as if Erie is going to draft Connor Lockhart at 3

It was really a debate about Lockhart/McTavish if Erie went with a forward with their top pick.

Both are elite offensive players and both have great scoring ability.

From what I’ve read and what I have seen, Lockhart is undersized but has elite level of skating. He is a very dynamic, fast skater which he uses along with top level puck skills to create plays for himself and teammates. He relies on a quick release to get goals and can score goals with the best of them

McTavish uses his huge frame to create plays. He’s a big guy and has much more strength and plays a physical game. Has a powerful shot and great hockey skills. He also managed 109 PIMs in 41 games in MM which was 3rd in the entire league. not really a fan of that because it could speak to undisciplined play or having an edge that he maybe can’t control. I don’t know if that’s the case but over 2 PIMs a game is a lot for your center. He also has good ability on defense but often lacks the effort or cheats up ice

I like McTavish for his goal scoring ability because I think we could use that. I also like the natural size.
But both Lockhart and McTavish are right handed centers and Erie needs that exact fit. So hopefully we can’t go wrong. I think both have a chance to be, though different players, superstars in this league. Lockhart is also much more of a prospect that Erie would go for. Top level skating/speed and great IQ. He has much more goal scoring ability than I think people give him credit and though McTavish scored more than him this year in MM, Lockhart managed 50 goals in 30 games in bantam league the year before which was most in league and 1 goal more than McTavish. So he can score too. I think the biggest difference is that McTavish relies on the size/physical game and Lockhart relies on the speed/skill which imo translates better. Lockhart is going to get bigger and grow. But even if he doesn’t grow much, we see small guys kill it in the OHL all the time. McTavish will soon play against a lot more guys his size and his frame who are not afraid to be physical

Lockhart seems more like the mold Erie goes after so it makes sense. I read 2 scouts compare him to Jean Luc Foudy with his skating and puck skills/playmaking. But both scouts said that the difference was that Lockhart has an elite shot as well, which is something Foudy really lacks

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Also saw some interview videos with Lockhart and the kid appears smart and humble. Talks like a leader. Erie loves that type of stuff when they draft, they love looking into character. I feel they do it more than most teams and Lockhart checks a lot of boxes in terms of the right fit/typical Erie draft pick

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Ottersguy: good information there re McTavish and Lockhart

A quick glance showed aprox height and w with Lockhart at 5-9, 160 and McTavish At 5-10 190. Was this the size difference you were referring to or do you have different info then I saw in a quick search??

For the record i understand and have seen the trend firsthand over the years ( even here in Erie ) with the smaller stature guys who are quicker with better skating characteristics ( Lodnia , Maks, Cerelli, DeBrincat ,Brown , etc,etc)

But at some point I don’t think we should have an entire team of say 5’9 guys either .. we’re losing Pod, possibly another decent size guy this next season w new recruits coming in - I would think a guy w size and a bit of an edge who can produce and has a little more physical size and game might do us some good down the road ..and could have an immediate impact ( considering both guys listed are literally projected 3 rd and 4th rd pics this year )..also if were talking playoffs in the future we don’t have many guys that are physical in my opinion ..what does everyone else think re this ??

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Ottersguy: good information there re McTavish and Lockhart

A quick glance showed aprox height and w with Lockhart at 5-9, 160 and McTavish At 5-10 190. Was this the size difference you were referring to or do you have different info then I saw in a quick search??

For the record i understand and have seen the trend firsthand over the years ( even here in Erie ) with the smaller stature guys who are quicker with better skating characteristics ( Lodnia , Maks, Cerelli, DeBrincat ,Brown , etc,etc)

But at some point I don’t think we should have an entire team of say 5’9 guys either .. we’re losing Pod, possibly another decent size guy this next season w new recruits coming in - I would think a guy w size and a bit of an edge who can produce and has a little more physical size and game might do us some good down the road ..and could have an immediate impact ( considering both guys listed are literally projected 3 rd and 4th rd pics this year )..also if were talking playoffs in the future we don’t have many guys that are physical in my opinion ..what does everyone else think re this ??

I just looked on eliteprospects and McTavish was listed at 6’1 196. Though they could have it a bit off but that’s what I was referring to

I don’t disagree about the size concern. Yetman and Cajka aren’t that small. But Fowler/Sproule/Golod are. That said, Golod is more about weight not height. And Hoffman is up and coming and offers that size

I would like the size but if the size is something McTavish relies on more and is a bit undisciplined with it, I can see why erie would be turned off by it. Adding size through the import or with Swankler is also a possibility

I want the size too, I agree. But if he develops into a top end player like Marner, Debrincat, etc. then I don’t think size will be an issue. I think he has some awesome can’t teach tools with great skating ability. That usually translates into, at the least, a solid OHL player. If he also has the right attitude and work ethic and continues to grow as a player, he could be special. His puck skills and skating really seem to pop when I watched more video on him.

Last edited:

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
As mentioned by others previously -it’s a good time for us ..With either of these 2 players ( they both have stellar stats and strengths) and the addition of say “one “ of a Swankler or Alexander , combined w Import picks , a goalie ,things should be on the up and up.. get rid of Golden and get a young prospect or picks at the seasons start..

But remember those 4 -50 plus win seasons .. The likes of McDermid , Donnay, Genovase, Cernak and others etc were needed for their physical play esp for those long runs.. and they could hit ..IMO we need a few players that fit that bill

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
As mentioned by others previously -it’s a good time for us ..With either of these 2 players ( they both have stellar stats and strengths) and the addition of say “one “ of a Swankler or Alexander , combined w Import picks , a goalie ,things should be on the up and up.. get rid of Golden and get a young prospect or picks at the seasons start..

But remember those 4 -50 plus win seasons .. The likes of McDermid , Donnay, Genovase, Cernak and others etc were needed for their physical play esp for those long runs.. and they could hit ..IMO we need a few players that fit that bill

The one year Erie won, their physical play was not their specialty. It actually never really was during the 4 year run

Yes I agree they could use a bit more size but I also think the first step is getting skill. Make no mistakes, erie won in 2017 because of their skill and ability to possess the puck and cycle it 75% of the game.

J Simmons

Feb 11, 2018
Heard that during the packing up process of the end of the season the players were weighed and did height again. Our tallest and arguably strongest/heaviest forward would be Hoffmann and even though it’s not a specialty with this team, or of the teams of the past, there’s a gritty side to this team in Henry, Duff, Fowler, Hoffmann, Kischnick sometimes... Not saying that it should be a focus but it should definitely be an aspect moving forward. They’ve got all the talent we need developing and moving forward. They simply need to translate that and make it Erie’s identity coming forward. Would love to see Hoffmann become one of the leagues more physically dominating players, even if that is a stretch of his potential by some means.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Good post ottersfan. I'd like to see McTavish to add that physical element to the forward group, as the only other guy who really provides that is Hoffmann. Erie definitely doesn't lack size on defense though. Seems like they can't go wrong either way so I'm not going to complain. I'm glad they're getting this pick instead of getting blown out by London like Windsor is right now.

Also, side note, Erie actually does not have Flint's 2nd in this draft unfortunately, it goes to Oshawa as part of the condition of the Cirelli trade. This does regain them their 2nds in 2023 and 2024 though, and they still have Niagara's 2nd in this draft.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
For any Erie fan that wanted to make the playoffs, see the Windsor series as evidence for why missing out on the 8th seed was not a huge deal. It resulted in Erie’s season ending just 11 days earlier but locked them into the 3rd overall pick and not the 6th

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
For any Erie fan that wanted to make the playoffs, see the Windsor series as evidence for why missing out on the 8th seed was not a huge deal. It resulted in Erie’s season ending just 11 days earlier but locked them into the 3rd overall pick and not the 6th

Agree...it was best the way it happened for us moving forward ...

BUT I do think we would have been more competitive w London than WSR was ..wasn’t even close other than the first game where the Knights shifted into neutral for the 3rd period ...

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Agree...it was best the way it happened for us moving forward ...

BUT I do think we would have been more competitive w London than WSR was ..wasn’t even close other than the first game where the Knights shifted into neutral for the 3rd period ...

I think Erie could have gotten to an overtime and maybe win a game. But still would have lost in 4/5 and thus it was never worth it. Especially where the comp pick for Cuylle comes into play at 5th overall. I feel satisfied in knowing that Erie will 100% get who they want. Wright is 1 overall but as an exceptional status player, Erie never expected to get him. They then have what basically becomes the 2nd overall pick of the 2003 born kids

Erie has their option of 4-5 top end kids that offer different skill sets. I don’t think they will go Clarke but nevertheless he is an option for them because they pick 3rd overall and not 6th like Windsor. Essentially, I am happy that whatever the team picks at 3 overall, it is likely to be 100% who they wanted and would have picked at 2 overall or at 4,5,6 overall if available. But this assured that they get their guy. Picking 6th overall could have meant trouble for that and could have had erie taking their 2nd or 3rd choice player.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Everything I have read seems that Erie will be taking Lockhart at the draft. No real surprise with that either. His playing style fits the mold for Erie and I tend to agree in taking the forward with better overall hockey IQ. I'm sure Clarke is going to be talented but Erie can not take another dman with this pick. Like Ottersguy has said this team does not have any star potential offensive players and this is their chance to get at least one.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
While rumors are like elbows - everyone has them ..

Rumors Lockhart wants Wsr ?? Anyone w info on this ?? Better go with McTavish :thumbu:

And what would happen should we ( or any other team) pick him 1 st round and for whatever hypothetical reason he doesn’t show up - do we completely lose that pick or recoup a pick in future drafts ??

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
While rumors are like elbows - everyone has them ..

Rumors Lockhart wants Wsr ?? Anyone w info on this ?? Better go with McTavish :thumbu:

And what would happen should we ( or any other team) pick him 1 st round and for whatever hypothetical reason he doesn’t show up - do we completely lose that pick or recoup a pick in future drafts ??

I'd prefer McTavish anyways but it's disappointing Erie may be having issues getting either one of them to come here.

If whomever they picked didn't report, Erie can declare them defective in a certain window in late August I think? I don't remember the exact time period. Then they would trade them, probably for around 3-4 2nds. They would also then get the 5th overall pick in the 2020 draft, as well as an extra comp. 2nd since it's a top 5 pick.

It actually wouldn't be a bad strategy since it would completely restock their draft picks. But the team could definitely use another injection of talent. We'll see what happens.

Reactions: 7D442

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I still think Erie takes Lockhart. Rumors are rumors and most are contradicting.

Either way, if Lockhart is not an option, than McTavish/Pinelli still are. If not then you obviously can’t go wrong with the talent of Clarke. And if somehow all 4 say no to Erie (zero chance of that) then you just take the best available (Clarke) and try to convince him and if no go you trade him. It’s pretty simple.

That said, Lockhart is still all I keep hearing. And I’ve heard it since early March. Brown made comments that they knew who they wanted back in early March and if the draft was a month ago, they had their guy. That imo means they would have talked to said player and told him “we like you, we want you, and we are going to draft you”
You think Erie waited until yesterday to finally contact the player about his interest in the team? Lol no chance

Sure a player can change course over time but I tend to think that nothing recent has developed that would make a player change his mind

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
I still think Erie takes Lockhart. Rumors are rumors and most are contradicting.

Either way, if Lockhart is not an option, than McTavish/Pinelli still are. If not then you obviously can’t go wrong with the talent of Clarke. And if somehow all 4 say no to Erie (zero chance of that) then you just take the best available (Clarke) and try to convince him and if no go you trade him. It’s pretty simple.

That said, Lockhart is still all I keep hearing. And I’ve heard it since early March. Brown made comments that they knew who they wanted back in early March and if the draft was a month ago, they had their guy. That imo means they would have talked to said player and told him “we like you, we want you, and we are going to draft you”
You think Erie waited until yesterday to finally contact the player about his interest in the team? Lol no chance

Sure a player can change course over time but I tend to think that nothing recent has developed that would make a player change his mind

I agree with you. No way Brown is that confident a few months back and then this rumor surfaces out of nowhere. Only way it’s true is if Lockhart isn’t their guy and never was to begin with.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I agree with you. No way Brown is that confident a few months back and then this rumor surfaces out of nowhere. Only way it’s true is if Lockhart isn’t their guy and never was to begin with.

Exactly my point. If that’s the case with Lockhart now, it always was.

That said, I find the rumor to be ludicrous and believe that Lockhart will be picked 3 overall and will excited about it. Not sure why anyone would be that hesitant right now about coming to Erie. If you are hesitant about Erie then you should be hesitant about another 10-15 teams in the league

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Looking forward to tmrw !!

Lots of FAKE NEWS these days lol!!

Just when I was worried there for a second - received some positive news re the players in question - my bad for even questioning it!!

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Looking forward to tmrw !!

Lots of FAKE NEWS these days lol!!

Just when I was worried there for a second - received some positive news re the players in question - my bad for even questioning it!!

hey question it all you want. Until it happens, it’s all just positive rumors anyways lol. We are still working with rumors here, so who knows

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Colby Saganiuk at 37

Wow. He’s small but he’s elite. First American taken in the draft. I saw a few people on Twitter saw that he was arguably the most talented American in the draft but given his size, he was under the radar more than he should have been

Elite skating and skills and without a college commitment. Hope the team has spoken to him at least a couple times and like where he’s at. Because if not, it’s a bad pick. But if we sign him, it’s a potential steal. Yes he’s not big and yes size is becoming an issue but you can’t teach pure and raw talent which he has. If Erie signs him, then not sure they could have gotten better value at 37 than this kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->