Erie Otters 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Agreed OG, IMO Erie wasted some of those incredible 50 win teams by not “going all in”. The OHL Championship / Memorial Cup Team was when most of the cupboards were emptied. Management finally seemed to wake up? As well IMO Erie seems to not place enough importance on the Goaltending position? Even with 50 win teams mediocre goaltenders cost you at times in the playoffs?

Drysdale is and will be a HUGE Star in the OHL. Name him Captain now and build around him. Talent like his at such a young age on the backend is rare! He is so much fun to watch ....... I’m sure in London we could find a Draft Pick or two if you want to restock the cupboards and send him back home across the border!!! :laugh: Good Luck I think Erie may surprise a few folks this season but as noted next year and the following are probably your years.

It was 100% the difference between Sherry Bassin and Dave Brown

Back in 2015, Sherry still owned and controlled the team. By 2016 it was Brown.

Brown did a great job in 2016 of NOT buying. Had he have done that (like Sherry would have), it would have cost us in 2017 with the better team. Brown also filled more needs in 2017 than Bassin ever did in 2014 and 2015.

Sherry meanwhile wasted the assets on 2013-14 team. Which then cost him in 2015.

Basically, had Brown had full control of the GM role in 2013-14 AND 2014-15, I think he properly would have held off in 2014 (saving some assets) and really pushed for another 1/2 depth pieces in 2015 and a backup/starter goalie (Jake Patterson was available that year). On the flip side, had Bassin had control in 2016 and 2017, he probably would have messed it up. Imo, had we have had Patterson, a depth defender, and another depth forward (which could have been Stephen Harper if Bassin never moved him)..we not only win the OHL, they steamroll the CHL for a Mem Cup in 2015. Certainly regrets that I blame largely on Bassin for poor asset management. That team also had no imports on the roster and failed to sway Dylan Larkin (though rumors are it was close..)

Point is...Bassin blew it. Brown saved us and at least got us the OHL title. Which again, I think would have been a Mem Cup had the deep OHL not hosted that year...

Reactions: EON

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Nice work above EON on the prospect list and links

Mark Scheig has stated that the team reports for camp in 9 days (August 25th). He also noted that Dave Brown wants to wait and see about potential trades to see where the team stands and what they have

I don't blame Dave on this stance. We can't really afford to move a player for a iffy price and then have that player turn around and have a breakout season. Let's see where everyone is at. The entire roster is essentially back and we don't know who has improved vs who has not

My Season Outlook -

Give it a read if you got time. Attached is a PDF because it is too lengthy to post.

I tried to look at each player and give an idea of what they can be.

Key word: they have options (lots of players that COULD develop)

I also compare them to the Kitchener Rangers of last year and how they can be a 26 win team (no improvement) but could also be a 35 team. Odds are they fall somewhere in the middle at about 30 wins. But I think they absolutely need to hit the 30 win mark and be at or at least very near the .500 mark. If not and/or if off to a slow start... Hartsburg should be fired. This a big season in terms of the future.

Attachments

• Season Outlook.pdf
    83.7 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: EON

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Hamilton just got a 2nd and a 4th round pick for LD DJ King (2000 born) to Saginaw. Duff and Henry are both easily better than him, I think Erie should look to trade one of those two if it would land them even a 2nd + 3rd. It would replenish the draft picks even further and ease the logjam of 2000 born players for next season: right now they have Murphy, Duff, Henry, Beamish, Golod, Gritz, Mack, MacDougall, and Yetman. One of Mack/Gritz should go, Murphy likely won't be here as an OA. Moving one of Duff/Henry frees up space for the blue line this season (to go along with trading/releasing Golden) and eases the OA logjam next season, they would be down to: Duff/Henry, Beamish, Gritz/Mack, Golod, MacDougall, and Yetman. That's a little more manageable.

Defense this season:

Martin (OA) - Drysdale
Duff/Henry - Beamish
Gillard-Kischnick
Olson/Morton/Maunder-Sanderson/Ritchie/Richer

Defense next season:

Duff/Henry (OA) - Drysdale
Gillard-Kischnick
Olson/Morton/Maunder-Sanderson/Ritchie/Richer
Whoever isn't traded between Duff/Henry plays top pair next to Drysdale and gets the last OA spot (along with Golod & Yetman imo, barring any surprises). Beamish is dealt. Any 2019 pick or 2020 U18 pick could compete for depth spots. I could also see them targeting an impact import dman to bolster the 2nd pair.

I would think you can add Kyrou to the group as well for next season. Although unlikely, I think he has an outside chance of making the team this year.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I would think you can add Kyrou to the group as well for next season. Although unlikely, I think he has an outside chance of making the team this year.

I would be very surprised if he makes the team this season, Erie doesn't usually carry 16 year old dmen from what I can remember(outside of Drsydale, the obvious exception).

I definitely think he and Murphy could make the 20/21 team though. Erie could have a nice little crop of talent coming in 20/21 between Saganiuk, Bresette, Murphy, and Kyrou if they develop well. I wouldn't totally rule out Khushnutdinov either.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I would be very surprised if he makes the team this season, Erie doesn't usually carry 16 year old dmen from what I can remember(outside of Drsydale, the obvious exception).

I definitely think he and Murphy could make the 20/21 team though. Erie could have a nice little crop of talent coming in 20/21 between Saganiuk, Bresette, Murphy, and Kyrou if they develop well. I wouldn't totally rule out Khushnutdinov either.

Yeah probably no chance we see Kyrou, especially with his size. He would have to have a major show in camp to make the team. As of now, they have 8 guys signed. Even if we assume (or hope) they cut ties with Golden and potentially trade someone else, that still leaves 6. And then that 7 spot would likely be filled with a 2002 player.

I agree with EON though about the prospect pool. Kyrou/Murphy look like promising defenders. We will see what the 2002 group shows at camp but there are about 4/5 names to watch from there as well.

Based on the comments made by Dave Brown, where we drafted Saganiuk, and him not being college committed.. Erie seems like they are front runners to sign him after USNDT. Add Lockhart and Bressette, who if not for a broken leg would have been a potential 1st round pick. Khustnutdinov will be NHL drafted in 2020 and depending who selects him, they could influence him to Erie

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
I can’t think of any that other than first round picks in the past. I don’t think he will make the team this year but he had an impressive rookie camp and I think he makes the team for next season.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Just a few days away from camp..

One thing I noticed when looking at the roster is the age of the defensive group. The defense could be much better this year with an older group of possibly 2 OAs and 3 2000s. However, I think it would be foolish for Erie to keep it this “old” and expose us to losing 3/4 guys next season..

Does this not sort of indicate that
1) Martin AND Golden are probably not both on the team (at least not for the entire season)?
2) Erie will eventually shop a 2000 (Duff, Henry, Beamish)?

The best case scenario is that one of the 2002 born defenders:
Ethan Ritchie
Connor Olson
Logan Maunder
Cam Morton
John Richer

One of these guys impresses at camp and is signed/makes the team. Then one of Kyrou/Murphy (hopefully both) show that they close and will be near locks for next year’s team

This will give the team flexibility to make a trade and move on from Golden to protect and build future assets

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
How competitive is this team without the 19+ year olds? The Soo was in a similar situation last season, with only 5 players 19+. We all thought they would get traded early, but with them on our roster we were winning. Keeping them ended up accelerating the development of our youngsters.

Minutes are not all created equally...

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
How competitive is this team without the 19+ year olds? The Soo was in a similar situation last season, with only 5 players 19+. We all thought they would get traded early, but with them on our roster we were winning. Keeping them ended up accelerating the development of our youngsters.

They aren’t winning rings next year..

This year is about taking the next step. Making the playoffs and being just overall more competitive. They then should be better the following 2/3 years.

So to your point, they should still be focused on the future and adding assets. This isn’t like we are trading/moving on from studs. These older guys are mid level players and Erie has too many of them. At some point they have to get rid of them or we can go into next year and be forced to replace 3/4 of them (too many 2000 born players for next years OA) without any compensation.

Obviously everything has to be evaluated based on who is who and who has improved. But no reason to have 2 OAs and 3 2000 born players for a team that at best would hope and pray for a 5/6 seed... We have plenty of options to get productive depth play elsewhere but if we are going to be a lower seeded team, then younger guys must play..

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Let me also add that SSM won 44 games last year

I don’t think the situations are close to comparable ..

We still need assets. We still need to build for the future. Now if we can be a 40 win team with those veterans? Than yes, let us keep them all.

But that’s not going to realistically happen. In order for it to happen, those veterans would have to really take over and be the faces of the team. But if they aren’t and are just mid level players? Then our circumstance dictates that we go with the younger guy who maybe has more upside..

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I still think you are all in rebuilding mode after having to trade basically everything (even the Team Bus?) to go for it your Memorial Cup year. No criticism pointed as that team had to do it or risk wasting all of those great regular season teams.

Improve, make the playoffs and show advancement in “The Plan” of recovery. I for one am not a huge Erie Fan but am excited to see this team from a far. Flint actually is another team I hope continues to improve they have a great up and coming coach it should be fun to watch them. Similar deal make the playoffs, gain some experience and continue to improve. Good Luck if you (and Flint) don’t make the playoffs it will be a significant step backwards in my eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->