Erie Otters 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Looks like Drysdale made Team Canada. He'll be gone the next 4 weeks now unless Dobson gets sent back and Drysdale is the odd man out

Reactions: Mata

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Lol what a joke. Can’t even beat a team with only 5 wins all year. Absolutely awful discipline and poor playing.

this is just miserable to watch.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Congrats to Drysdale, absolute stud of a player, good for him.

This team continues to be a dumpster fire though. If they don't fire Hartsburg over the break/after this road trip, I think I'm just about going to check out for the rest of the season.

Reactions: TheCoach and Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019

This team continues to be a dumpster fire though. If they don't fire Hartsburg over the break/after this road trip, I think I'm just about going to check out for the rest of the season.

If it weren't for my daughter we would stop going this year, just abysmal.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

I checked out weeks ago. The team simply can’t move forward and improve with Hartsburg. Not going to support a team that is either too cheap to fire a bad coach or too dumb to realize he’s a big problem

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

All that fan support that was built up over 4 years is now being ruined in large part because the coach just isn’t the right fit.

This was an issue that was the main focus of last year. I had my concerns with the coach too but also was understanding with the idea of giving him the start of this year to see if things click. The talent/depth is the best they have had with Hartsburg and chemistry should be there.
Now the team is trending downwards and showing no improvement from the previous 2 years. Also, the players clearly don’t want to play for the coach or show heart and fight for the team/fans

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Anyone think Cajka knew this and possibly the reason he unexpectedly left?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Anyone think Cajka knew this and possibly the reason he unexpectedly left?

My opinion: No. I fully believe it was the fact that he didn’t get drafted. That’s what it came down to for him. Had he have been drafted, he would have returned.

Reactions: Mata

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Might be my unpopular opinion, but Golod playing 2nd line has been beneficial to us.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Might be my unpopular opinion, but Golod playing 2nd line has been beneficial to us.

The teams offense looks much better with their "big 4" split into two pairs: Fowler with Yetman, Golod with Swankler.

This team and staff is so frustrating because I think they have the talent when healthy to compete in that 4-6 range. They've certainly had some bad injury luck but there has been a lot of inconsistent play, lack of effort, and lack of direction from the coaching staff.

SHL

Oct 4, 2019
Swankler is not big 4. He is over rated Imo. This coach has no clue how to motivate his troops and unbelievable he still has a job. 2 years and no playoffs, and this year will be a struggle to make it. All the bottom teams are improving, so unless Erie gets better they will not make playoffs for a 3rd straight year.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Swankler is not big 4. He is over rated Imo. This coach has no clue how to motivate his troops and unbelievable he still has a job. 2 years and no playoffs, and this year will be a struggle to make it. All the bottom teams are improving, so unless Erie gets better they will not make playoffs for a 3rd straight year.

I actually prefer Swankler over Fowler. Swankler has the offensive power AND can jaw with the opponents without sitting for 2 minutes every time. Maybe Folwer has a target on his back, but I would pick Swankler at this point over Fowler every time.

As for the rest, yeah, coach lost the team for sure.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I actually prefer Swankler over Fowler. Swankler has the offensive power AND can jaw with the opponents without sitting for 2 minutes every time. Maybe Folwer has a target on his back, but I would pick Swankler at this point over Fowler every time.

As for the rest, yeah, coach lost the team for sure.

I like Swankler too. I don’t necessarily agree with taking him over Fowler. Yes Fowler can be a bit undisciplined but he’s still young and we have seen far worse before (Fox, Betz just to name a few). Heck even Debrincat was undisciplined early in his career. Part of that is also on coaching to demand and expect more from the players

I do like Swankler though for the future. He could have a breakout year next season. Takes time to adjust to a new league, especially when the coaching staff changes the lines every game

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Just printed tomorrows tickets to the game or should I take it as a sign to stay home? We will see.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I imagine that Duff will command a lot of interest from competing teams. Big, tough, experienced, OA defender. Do you think he will be moved?
I'd like to say Erie needs to make a move or two. Duff would be one that would get us a pick or two (not top picks, but picks nonetheless). But this team also need him for his experience so that's where i'm not sure they'd trade him.

This second half needs to be better than the first and i'm hoping the scouts are trying to find us a missing piece.

Last edited:
Reactions: nelli27

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I imagine that Duff will command a lot of interest from competing teams. Big, tough, experienced, OA defender. Do you think he will be moved?

I don't think so since he's the captain. I think they'd move Henry to go into next season with Golod/Yetman/Duff as their OAs.

But I don't know for sure, Brown needs to make some moves though

Reactions: nelli27

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Well he’s not an OA currently..
but surely will be a good veteran OA next year for any team.

I would say less than 5% that he got traded. The only way he would be moved is if an offer was so compelling, Erie had to. So probably would require 2/3 higher picks and a mid/late round pick as well. Otherwise, Erie would be foolish to trade him imo.

He is a big body defender and mature leader for the team. Much like EON said, he’s very much in the plans next year with Yetman/Golod. Would give Erie a very strong OA trio. Henry much more likely to be moved.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
First game I've been to in person (and probably the only, the sad part about moving away from Erie). That was a pretty fun game. Great first period from the Otters, awful 2nd, then they found their legs and passing game again just in time in the 3rd to pull out the win. Niagara didn't play well at all, they were hemmed in a lot and outshot all game, just capitalized on some lazy play and mistakes from Erie in the 2nd imo. They've definitely got some skill up front but I was unimpressed with their defense.

Still very much not on the Hartsburg train but I like the lines they're using right now and they've been consistent with them for a few games finally. I especially like the top six, splitting up the "big four" and having a rookie on each line. Lockhart and Cohen definitely seem to be coming along.

This team clearly has the potential to be strong in the future but need to land another big fish up front (Khusnutdinov?) and improve the depth on D behind Drysdale (trade/import pick?), and possibly make a coaching change. We'll see what Brown does at the TDL and going forward in the off-season. I'll just be happy with a playoff berth this season at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mata and NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
First game I've been to in person (and probably the only, the sad part about moving away from Erie). That was a pretty fun game. Great first period from the Otters, awful 2nd, then they found their legs and passing game again just in time in the 3rd to pull out the win. Niagara didn't play well at all, they were hemmed in a lot and outshot all game, just capitalized on some lazy play and mistakes from in the Erie in the 2nd imo. They've definitely got some skill up front but I was unimpressed with their defense.

Still very much not on the Hartsburg train but I like the lines they're using right now and they've been consistent with them for a few games finally. I especially like the top six, splitting up the "big four" and having a rookie on each line. Lockhart and Cohen definitely seem to be coming along.

This team clearly has the potential to be strong in the future but need to land another big fish up front (Khusnutdinov?) and improve the depth on D behind Drysdale (trade/import pick?), and possibly make a coaching change. We'll see what Brown does at the TDL and going forward in the off-season. I'll just be happy with a playoff berth this season at this point.
Glad you were able to make a game EON

The frustrating part right now with this team is if/when they will take that next step. They continue to be inconsistent and still need more firepower to actually be a legit threat.
They also need imports on the roster. Having 0 imports on the roster for a team that hasn’t made the playoffs in 2 years is unacceptable. That means not only do we not have imports, we are missing some high talented ones too..

The Hartsburg thing to me will continue to be an issue that will limit our growth imo.

Adding Khusnutdinov and another import next year though would be significant. I think Erie’s offense could be very strong if someone like Khustnutdinov showed up and gave us that elite playmaking. But he won’t show up to a team that can’t make the playoffs for 3 years and continues to employ the same coach. So we either need to make a bit of 2nd half push or Hartsburg needs to be fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad