Erie Otters 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Great road win tonight, finally got it done in 60. Dominating first 40 minutes where they really should have been up by more than 2, they had a lot of chances and Oshawa was playing pretty sloppily. Survived the Gens big push in the 3rd and put the game away. Also props to the referees for not bowing to home crowd pressure and making the correct call on the GI challenge.

Hopefully they bring another strong effort Sunday, London is rolling as of late.

Hahahahahaha. Right...........

Anyways, I know I can't get into an argument with you because you'll give me strikes for "flaming", so I'll change the subject and say that Drysdale is so damn good. I think there's a legit chance he could be in the NHL next year depending on which team drafts him and if he goes top 5 like many are saying now, especially if he makes Canada and does well there. That would be disastrous for your Otters but great for the kid

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Hahahahahaha. Right...........

Anyways, I know I can't get into an argument with you because you'll give me strikes for "flaming", so I'll change the subject and say that Drysdale is so damn good. I think there's a legit chance he could be in the NHL next year depending on which team drafts him and if he goes top 5 like many are saying now, especially if he makes Canada and does well there. That would be disastrous for your Otters but great for the kid

As good as Drysdale is, he’s undersized and still needs to bulk up and add some muscle to his game. His defensive game would be exposed without more grit. Not impossible for him to make it right away, but you saw one game from him..
90% chance he is back. The only chance he makes it is if he has a huge summer/camp and whoever drafts him is desperate and not patient. Really it’s a 100% chance he is back so long as no stupid franchise drafts him

Reactions: OttersFan

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Boys against Men today...

That honestly was the flattest performance I have seen from them all year.

Reactions: ZinErie

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Kitchener announces:

The Kitchener Rangers have announced that Jay McKee has been relieved of his coaching duties effective immediately. General Manager Mike McKenzie will take on the role of interim head coach until further notice.

Erie sure would love to have him back.

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
This team just plain has no fire and no heart. The only time they play with it is when they are cruising to a win or down and need to rally back.

Blame it on coaching or whatever you wish, this team needs emotion, they have pretty much none.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Another day, another shootout loss. 0-6 in SO all season. It’s just getting old at this point. We can’t win them all, but you’d think after going 0-3 in SO someone would step up and make a change. At very least we could win 2 of the 6 SO games and make some difference.

I’m tired of only getting 1 point.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Another day, another shootout loss. 0-6 in SO all season. It’s just getting old at this point. We can’t win them all, but you’d think after going 0-3 in SO someone would step up and make a change. At very least we could win 2 of the 6 SO games and make some difference.

I’m tired of only getting 1 point.

At this point, it has probably gotten in their heads a bit. Especially for the shooters. But it starts with Hartsburg when he continues to shuffle the lineup card. Regardless of the struggles, using Henry and lower depth guys in the SO is not the answer..

But once again - Erie went 14-4 last year in extra time/SO. Yes, it has been unfortunate to lose all these SO games but last year they were absurdly winning them and the puck luck was on their side. It’s reversing now.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I said it from the start...

Not sure why we kept Singer and not sure why he is PP1.

The energy was up, we played a far superior team last night and it showed, but we have to put more than 1 in on a 39 shot night.

The soundbites from Hartsburg, I just can't even listen to his malarkey. He seems like he is clueless all the time.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Every time Hartsburg does the post game interview it just sounds like a broken record. It’s just getting old and players should be held accountable. He talked about players trying to showcase themselves while it’s important for the scouts, putting pucks in the back of the net is first priority without being cute about it.

We need to find the back of the net and it’s frustrating we don’t with 39 shots.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Every time Hartsburg does the post game interview it just sounds like a broken record. It’s just getting old and players should be held accountable. He talked about players trying to showcase themselves while it’s important for the scouts, putting pucks in the back of the net is first priority without being cute about it.

We need to find the back of the net and it’s frustrating we don’t with 39 shots.
The team is decent. Good depth and some good skill guys. Murphy has played good most of the year.

No doubt the team should have about 3-5 more wins in the win column. But when your coaching is very pedestrian, this is what happens. And no, it won’t change and Hartsburg won’t be fired. But the fans in Erie are tired of the same inconsistent crap the last 3 years - leading to dwindling and embarrassing attendance. My thoughts are that the attendance won’t respond until the team is actually winning and looking good while doing it. The problem is? Hartsburg isn’t the coach for that. So we are stuck in neutral right now

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Until recently, the "true attendance" likely was 1500 a game or less (I've been to all but 3 home games). The teddy bear toss had more, but they dropped prices to 10 bucks to fill seats.

I can't imagine it stays like this for long. Our window would appear to be next year and if we don't make a decent run I could then expect him to be on the block.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Until recently, the "true attendance" likely was 1500 a game or less (I've been to all but 3 home games). The teddy bear toss had more, but they dropped prices to 10 bucks to fill seats.

I can't imagine it stays like this for long. Our window would appear to be next year and if we don't make a decent run I could then expect him to be on the block.

again, the problem is the coaching. And it’s not going anywhere because that costs $$. Unfortunately only a few teams in the league actually have money. Erie doesn’t. So right now they are sort of stuck with Hartsburg. But obviously next year is crucial. If we could actually have 2 imports on the roster and guys continue their development.. we could be a very strong team. However, it’s going to come down to the coach. If Hartsburg is still around, it will be more of the same

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Patiently waiting injury updates regarding the players who have seen a lot of time off the ice this season...

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie has 2 regulation wins since November 3rd

Time to fire Hartsburg

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Yawn it’s getting old. I honestly don’t know the last time I’ve seen this team win a game in person at home or away.

Hartsburg... wake up!

nofriendsinhockey

Aug 31, 2018
The team lacks grit and passion. Lines are consistently being changed. Zero chemistry. A few should sit and think about their options.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The team lacks grit and passion. Lines are consistently being changed. Zero chemistry. A few should sit and think about their options.

All these issues relate back to Hartsburg

No consistency because they have changed the lines every single game since the season started
No passion from the players because the coach has used the same boring statements all year to fire up his team
No grit because the team doesn’t want to play for this guy

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I have been trying to figure out what this team needs and I can’t quite come to terms. It’s not that we are a bad team, we just don’t have an chemistry which is huge in order to make and progress.

I feel like those who are arrogant and want the fancy plays need benched immediately. Even if they’re the first line or the fourth line, maybe some personal reflection is necessary and to see the game from the outside looking in might be needed.

Trades. We haven’t had any major trades or moves in the last three years. Yes, it’s a rebuilding refilling the cupboards season where we don’t have much to do. If we wanted to go all in for another championship run, what do we need to do? Who do we move or who do we add or should we stay put?

Coaches. Who runs each part of the team (ex PP unit, PK unit, defense... etc). How is it divided up?

I’d say their PP is getting better looks but we look like we are running around with no clue what to do. We need someone who can set up plays where everyone has a zone so to speak. I was a fan of having (Years ago) Dermott at the point and Baptiste right at the door step where he made 95% of those goals. Different talent so it might not work for this team, but at-least everyone was aware that someone is on the door step that could tap it in. And yes, that was elite talent on the ice that year and the years before but the idea is to make it easy and have us be more successful on the PP. We aren’t going to have the best power play, but skating in our zone like figure skaters for two minutes isn’t going to score us any goals.

What is everyone’s thoughts?

nofriendsinhockey

Aug 31, 2018
Campbell is 6-1. Play him more
We need consistent offence, those who don’t produce, sit or trade
A D-man shouldn’t lead the team in points
Fire Harts, he plays kids based on a political / back room agenda

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I have been trying to figure out what this team needs and I can’t quite come to terms. It’s not that we are a bad team, we just don’t have an chemistry which is huge in order to make and progress.

I feel like those who are arrogant and want the fancy plays need benched immediately. Even if they’re the first line or the fourth line, maybe some personal reflection is necessary and to see the game from the outside looking in might be needed.

Trades. We haven’t had any major trades or moves in the last three years. Yes, it’s a rebuilding refilling the cupboards season where we don’t have much to do. If we wanted to go all in for another championship run, what do we need to do? Who do we move or who do we add or should we stay put?

Coaches. Who runs each part of the team (ex PP unit, PK unit, defense... etc). How is it divided up?

I’d say their PP is getting better looks but we look like we are running around with no clue what to do. We need someone who can set up plays where everyone has a zone so to speak. I was a fan of having (Years ago) Dermott at the point and Baptiste right at the door step where he made 95% of those goals. Different talent so it might not work for this team, but at-least everyone was aware that someone is on the door step that could tap it in. And yes, that was elite talent on the ice that year and the years before but the idea is to make it easy and have us be more successful on the PP. We aren’t going to have the best power play, but skating in our zone like figure skaters for two minutes isn’t going to score us any goals.

What is everyone’s thoughts?

Injuries hurt us for early season games that were close.

Singer is garbage and we never should have kept him.

We lack a true assassin for goals.

Fowler can't keep himself out of the box.

Our goalie play is down right now relative to the beginning of the season.

As others have noted, the lines are still changing nearly every game.

We have absolutely no heart/fire/desire.

Our head coach and the players are disconnected which I think ties into almost every point above. I think at this point the kids really have 0 idea what is expected of them because it changes quicker than the Lake Erie tides. Something works one game, let's "tweak" it for the next.

SHL

Oct 4, 2019
Good comments above. Enough is enough, the coach needs to go. 2 years and no playoffs and a 3rd year where they are in 8th, with the bottom teams getting better and better, so a very possible chance of no playoffs 3 straight years. This coach does not know what he is doing. He doesn't know how to motivate his players and know one wants to play for him. Wake up GM and President!

The GM needs to step up and do the right thing and fire him. I realize he is paid until the end of this season. I know the team is losing money and attendance is horrible so why not cut the losses and let this idiot go, and perhaps change direction of the team, which will mean better attendance and playoffs.

Reactions: NOA

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Anyone wondering how we will play against North Bay and if we will see the 294829347th variation of lines or did we all give up hope before the midway haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad