Speculation: Eric Staal's Future

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
With the Wild in a playoff spot in the West, it's surprising that Eric Staal's future hasn't been talked about at all by the national hockey media. Will Minnesota sell at the deadline and re-coup assets or will they keep him for the playoff push?

If they do decide to trade him, what return could they get?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Any other season, the Wild would be outside looking in by probably 5-6 points. They're lucky that this year that wildcard race in the West is going to be like 6 sub .500 teams battling it out for two spots.

Honestly, I figure if Minny could trade Staal for a first or a good prospect, they'd probably do it. In terms of sneaking into the playoffs and having Nashville or Calgary/SJ in the first round, I don't think they really see themselves as much more than fodder. This isn't a cup winning team the way it's built.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
This isn't a cup winning team the way it's built.
Minni will never have a cup. It's part of the culture there (native born, bred, raised, son born there, raised there... we left)

A winning culture comes from the culture the team resides in. Why do you think Boston has so many winning teams... again, and again... and again ... in every major sport?

Minnesota is just too polite (sadly).

Trade Staal, give him a chance for a cup

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
Minni will never have a cup. It's part of the culture there (native born, bred, raised, son born there, raised there... we left)

A winning culture comes from the culture the team resides in. Why do you think Boston has so many winning teams... again, and again... and again ... in every major sport?

I'd be fine with Minni getting a cup if it meant the Queens never get a SB... Go Pack Go! :D:naughty:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he is traded, it will likely only be at the last minute, as the Wild are still in the playoff race in the atrocious West. Hard to explain to fans how you are trading away away your best C(far and away your best since Koivu is out for the season)when you still are in a playoff position. I wish they would trade him, as it's pretty clear to me that they won't be going far in the post season, but GM's aren't wired that way, and they do have ticket sales to worry about.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Similar situation to the blues with Stastny last year. Can they afford to keep him?

Staal has really earned my respect with how well he has bounced back in the last couple of years. What a pro. I'm sure many playoff teams would love to have him

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Really intelligent take

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think that WPG is the obvious fit, and that the two teams might work something out, as long as they both are being reasonable. It would be in MN's best interest to send Staal where he wants to go and not worry about every last little bit of value, as it's possible that they will want (or need) to re-sign Staal in the off season as a UFA, as Koivu may well not be ready to start the season.

WPG would be scary with Staal added as a middle six C.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

This is some phrenology-level quackery.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He'd be a strong fit in Edmonton for next season.
Don't think Staal wants to go there, and EDM doesn't have any cap space, anyway. While he would be a good influence on the team there, does EDM really want to be spending for an aging C? Money would be better spent on a PMRHD, or a young'ish winger who can score.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
If he is traded, it will likely only be at the last minute, as the Wild are still in the playoff race in the atrocious West. Hard to explain to fans how you are trading away away your best C(far and away your best since Koivu is out for the season)when you still are in a playoff position. I wish they would trade him, as it's pretty clear to me that they won't be going far in the post season, but GM's aren't wired that way, and they do have ticket sales to worry about.
The blues did last year and the rangers the year before that. People will still go to games if we trade staal

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Some of us would welcome him back in Carolina, including myself. To me he’s the perfect short term 2-3 year 2C for our team. He’d be a great stop gap until Martin Necas is eventually ready to take over that 2C spot.
Sounds weird, sort of like me calling up my girlfriend from 1989 and asking her out.

Messy...too much history. And my wife might not dig it.

Last edited:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I think he would be a good fit for Canucks who can shore up their 6 wingers with a short term contract.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think they extend him and offer a little extra money if he wants to stay.

If he goes get traded I think the Wild get a tad bit extra for him because of how cheap his contract is. But I think the one team who should try getting him should be either Calgary or NYI.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006

As much as I'd love to think our brash smuggery is why the teams here win, you're giving us all far too much credit.

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS

Uhhhh...wait what?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

Very good point. A team’s ability comes solely from the city they play in. It’s not that Boston is an attractive place to live so they attract the best coaches, gm, players, etc.

Reactions: PJ817

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010

Native born and bred and you call it "Minni"...legit not how it's spelled or something people from Minnesota even normally say.

Anyway, Staal should be dealt. Losing Koivu for the year and Dumba for most of it with Dubnyk playing poorly overall this year, this team sorely needs a decent rebuild.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad