Speculation: Eric Staal's Future

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Very good point. A team’s ability comes solely from the city they play in. It’s not that Boston is an attractive place to live so they attract the best coaches, gm, players, etc.
Well, that's one way to interpret it.

I think the passive aggressive personality of Minnesota stagnates anyone wanting to move there. I think back to when Moss slid across a cop's car and the media blew it up like he'd done something akin to murder.

And he was booted to where? and why? Boston.

Why? Cuz the fans there don't give 2 S@#$s whether a player does something like that, they demand wins. Minnesota has gotten so used to being the doormat in every league because you know, someone's best friend just had a kid and that person needs to hire that kid's BFF ...

Cities like Boston, NY, LA, Chicago, Detroit - they don't care who your bff is, they care that you win (and that you're mostly a decent human being).

Where'd KG go? Boston; huh, got a trophy there too, right? Big ring?

Trade Staal and give him a chance to win. #Cheers (yeah, 48 years in Duluth, Minneapolis and I don't miss this b.s. at all...)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I think the passive aggressive personality of Minnesota stagnates anyone wanting to move there. I think back to when Moss slid across a cop's car and the media blew it up like he'd done something akin to murder.

Why? Cuz the fans there don't give 2 S@#$s whether a player does something like that, they demand wins. Minnesota has gotten so used to being the doormat in every league because you know, someone's best friend just had a kid and that person needs to hire that kid's BFF ...

Cities like Boston, NY, LA, Chicago, Detroit - they don't care who your bff is, they care that you win (and that you're mostly a decent human being).

Trade Staal and give him a chance to win. #Cheers (yeah, 48 years in Duluth, Minneapolis and I don't miss this b.s. at all...)

Oakland, actually.

Reactions: BlackBusa24

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I have to agree as this was my thought also. If they make the offer they made for Duchence to Minny would it be accepted?
!st, Stanley and Petan?
No way the Jets offer that for Staal.
I can see a 1st and Petan but no way is Stanley added to that.
If we were able to re-sign Staal to a 2 x 4.75m deal, I would add a 2nd rounder in 2020.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
!st, Stanley and Petan?
No way the Jets offer that for Staal.
I can see a 1st and Petan but no way is Stanley added to that.
If we were able to re-sign Staal to a 2 x 4.75m deal, I would add a 2nd rounder in 2020.
Yeah, that offer seems a bit much, though I don't hear much about Stanley these days. What is the pecking order as far as the Jets prospect Dmen ? Vesalainen, Niku, Samberg, and Stanley, in that order, or?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I think they extend him and offer a little extra money if he wants to stay.

If he goes get traded I think the Wild get a tad bit extra for him because of how cheap his contract is. But I think the one team who should try getting him should be either Calgary or NYI.
Not moving a 1st for a rental. Isles do not have a 3rd or 4th this yr. Kinda tough to have only a 2nd in the first 4 rounds of a strong draft.

Would have interest if he is on the ufa market July 1st

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Yeah, that offer seems a bit much, though I don't hear much about Stanley these days. What is the pecking order as far as the Jets prospect Dmen ? Vesalainen, Niku, Samberg, and Stanley, in that order, or?
Vesalainen is a forward, but otherwise that's correct.

Poolman as well. He's a good 7th d-man right now. Just often injured

Reactions: 10Ducky10

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
That would depend on who is doing the pecking order...Vaseline is a forward.
Most would put it Niku, Samberg and then Stanley but I would put Samberg first and then Niku and Stanley.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That would depend on who is doing the pecking order...Vaseline is a forward.
Most would put it Niku, Samberg and then Stanley but I would put Samberg first and then Niku and Stanley.

Brain fart on Vesalainen. I don't see WPG moving any of those D for a rental, then. Buff isn't getting younger, Trouba could be gone this summer, and they have some young talent to pay. Would be smarter to keep all your young ELC Dmen.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Brain fart on Vesalainen. I don't see WPG moving any of those D for a rental, then. Buff isn't getting younger, Trouba could be gone this summer, and they have some young talent to pay. Would be smarter to keep all your young ELC Dmen.
I can see Stanley being included. If Niku works out, and Samberg plays with the Jets in the 2020-2021 season, there isn't much room for him.

As far as Buff goes, He doesn't show signs of declining and if he doesn't decline too much i nte next two years, I can see Chevy signing him for another 2 years when this deal is done.

Trouba will surely be gone before he hits UFA.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Minni will never have a cup. It's part of the culture there (native born, bred, raised, son born there, raised there... we left)

A winning culture comes from the culture the team resides in. Why do you think Boston has so many winning teams... again, and again... and again ... in every major sport?

Minnesota is just too polite (sadly).

Trade Staal, give him a chance for a cup
Ha....

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Until MN plays their way out of the wild card spot, Staal will likely not be traded. I would trade him if there was a good offer, right now, as I don't think MN has a shot to go far in the playoffs now that Koivu is out(Dumba could be back for the playoffs), but teams think differently than fans. I get that if you have a young team who needs some playoff experience, but MN has been there 7 times in a row, and end up out of it after the 1st round more often than not. They are the Russian Doll of hockey teams, and even Russian doll knew to quit after 8 episodes.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Very good point. A team’s ability comes solely from the city they play in. It’s not that Boston is an attractive place to live so they attract the best coaches, gm, players, etc.
Boston built that team through the draft and through trades - very little through free agency. Coaches and Management is all nepotism. Pretty weak argument.

The ownership of that team know that the fans demand a winner otherwise you'll be forgotten in the city of champions. If you're an org there and you don't win, there's the Pats, Celtics, and Steeler's vying for the fans money.

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
If he is traded, it will likely only be at the last minute, as the Wild are still in the playoff race in the atrocious West. Hard to explain to fans how you are trading away away your best C(far and away your best since Koivu is out for the season)when you still are in a playoff position. I wish they would trade him, as it's pretty clear to me that they won't be going far in the post season, but GM's aren't wired that way, and they do have ticket sales to worry about.

This is like a Mulletman post without any of the research.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Different coach. Different GM. Most importantly, different competitive environment (re-tooling vs looking to win).

It could work.
It could but from reading what our fans have to say around the internet, many of them still seem to solely blame Eric for our futility the last decade rather than the awful GMs who polluted the rosters with pure trash for all those years by not being able to draft, trade for or sign any real impact players until he was already pretty much halfway out the door. I don't think Eric is oblivious to how the majority of the fanbase feels about him.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010

Moss wasn't moved because of that altercation with the law, he was moved because Red McCombs wanted to move the team to San Antonio and he was a cheap ass. To say it was because of passive aggressiveness or some other crap is so beyond stupid.

This is mindless. The Twins have two championships; had this pervasive cultural disease not taken root then? Green moved the North Stars to Dallas with the excuse that Minnesotans did exactly what you're accusing them of never doing. And I assume this Minnesotan tendency toward mediocrity doesn't apply to college hockey.

The idea that team performance is a function of cultural weakness is as ridiculous as it is insulting.

Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: 2Pair

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
This comment has been overlooked or disregarded but it's incredibly accurate. I spent the first 24 years of my life in Minnesota and moved out of state in 2015. Minnesotans are so content with mediocrity. "The Minnesotan Way".

The owners of teams here have taken advantage of that naivety to line their pockets without having to even come close to producing any championship caliber teams.

As for Eric Staal - let's just hope we can find a sucker to give us a few picks.

We’ve been a cap ceiling team every year under Leipold.

Not sure about Naegle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->