Player Discussion Eric Staal

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
We’re winning. He hasn’t been crazy good the last few, but I think his presence on he bench and in the room is key. Guys look up to him. He makes the team better by just being there.

I think that's the only valid reason to keep him in the line-up. If we lose last game and Evans is healthy, I wouldn't hesitate to swap them out.

I like the idea of moving KK with Perry and Armia, I think he can excel in a cycling game with those two. Evans' speed and energy would mesh better with Byron and Anderson than KK.

But as you said, we're winning and overall, the 4th line has done well. I just think that's in large part due to Perry and, to a lesser extent, Armia. Staal hasn't impressed me at all since joining the team.

Reactions: Banjo Cat and Locks

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
The Perry Stall and Armia line has been huge for us overall this playoffs, they are big and spend alot of time at cycling the puck in the offensive zone, they are reliable defensively and generate some scoring chances per games... Stall is a nice surprise for me in playoffs in that sense that I was expecting nothing from him with the way he played in the reg season, but the guy is giving his all and really wants to win another Stanley cup, cant doubt his work ethic and determination... His experience and physical strength are still pretty useful for us and for his line...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think that's the only valid reason to keep him in the line-up. If we lose last game and Evans is healthy, I wouldn't hesitate to swap them out.

I like the idea of moving KK with Perry and Armia, I think he can excel in a cycling game with those two. Evans' speed and energy would mesh better with Byron and Anderson than KK.

But as you said, we're winning and overall, the 4th line has done well. I just think that's in large part due to Perry and, to a lesser extent, Armia. Staal hasn't impressed me at all since joining the team.

I thunk Staal and Oerry compliment each other. Staal has sneaky moves a long the boards to keep plays alive. He also can make plays from a stationary position down low.

I'm fine with the idea of trying KK on that line and Evan's with Byron and Anderson. I like those ideas. But not sure I'd try it in the heat of battle, whe the 4th line as is has been our 2nd most productive line in the playoffs, AINEC. But each opponent has a different style of play.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would replace him with KK who can play on the boards with this group and Put Evans with Byron and Anderson to make that line insanely fast.

Staal isn't even an NHL level player at this point and he is only surviving by being entirely carried by his linemates and is only completing the most basic duties.

I don't see any scenario where Staal is ever a remotely competent NHLer again and he should retire immediately following these playoffs......hopefully with a Championship ring.

This was my opinion before the brain dead pass, but is now emboldened as the only thing that might have been a redeeming quality was making smart, safe decisions. Not only is he our worst forward by a large margin he has now made the worst play of any Hab this season and in game 3 of the playoffs. The pass was simply the excuse that they should use to bench him.

Not attacking your opinion in any way as I know what you are saying, I just believe MB is giving this bum unearned leash to back up the price that he payed to get him. I am usually more of a Bergevin supporter but this particular move has not gone well.

Staal is using his size well, for me I just if we lose tonight then it's a really tough call for the coaching staff as you are replacing all that experience and size against a very good Vegas team to break up what might be the best 4th line in the playoffs (I haven't watched a single game outside the Habs though)

I could 100% get behind sitting him if we lose tonight, or I can see why they wouldn't do it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Staal was a rookie and made that awful giveaway tonight... @Habs Halifax would want him benched cause he's a rookie and only rookies make mistakes.

Disingenuous spin to it. KK made a mistake in covering his guy in OT and I felt he played a good game last night. It's about the overall trend and not one error here and there. But you do your thing by purposely not comprehending it

As far as Staal goes. I would put Evans in if he is ready to go. Not because I hate Stall, but because I think Evans is the better 200' player at this stage. Staal is doing his best in a 4th line role with liminted skating and he's relying on his big frame and good line-mates.

Last edited:
Reactions: abo9

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Staal is using his size well, for me I just if we lose tonight then it's a really tough call for the coaching staff as you are replacing all that experience and size against a very good Vegas team to break up what might be the best 4th line in the playoffs (I haven't watched a single game outside the Habs though)

I could 100% get behind sitting him if we lose tonight, or I can see why they wouldn't do it.

If Evans is ready to play again, he should be put in over Staal cause his a better player at this stage. Rest for Staal would probably be a good thing and if Evans struggles cause he missed come games and he's not the same due to the concussion, put Stall in the next game.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Disingenuous spin to it. KK made a mistake in coving his guy in OT and I felt he played a good game last night. It's about the overall trend and not one error here and there. But you do your thing by purposely not comprehending it

As far as Staal goes. I would put Evans in if he is ready to go. Not because I hate Stall, but because I think Evans is the better 200' player at this stage. Staal is doing his best in a 4th line role with liminted skating and he's relying on his big frame and good line-mates.
Just a light hearted jab...don't need to get all emo.

Breathe

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Staal is our weakest link among forwards. At defence, Merrill and Gustafsson are.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
i've been unimpressed overall and would have picked him as the first one to sit should/when Evans is ready to go... but i thought last night he played his best game of the post-season...

we'll need him to match, or elevate, that Tuesday night... Hope he has more in the tank!

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
i've been unimpressed overall and would have picked him as the first one to sit should/when Evans is ready to go... but i thought last night he played his best game of the post-season...

we'll need him to match, or elevate, that Tuesday night... Hope he has more in the tank!

Really? I thought last night was his worst game, it seemed he was extremely gassed.

Locks

May 28, 2005

I agree. It is the Perry first and Armia second who drive that line. Putting a better player like Evans will make that line even better. Staal is much better in the playoffs than he was in the regular season, which was brutal, but if there is an upgrade available, it should be used.

Is it great because of Staal, or despite him? A healthy Evans is a pretty strong asset to leave on the sidelines.
Totally. We can't forget that when the season was on the line in games 6 and 7 in the Leafs series, Evans played the highest minutes and looked great doing it. And the 3 point playoffs clinching game against McDavid is hard to forget either.

Staal is our weakest link among forwards. At defence, Merrill and Gustafsson are.

Agree. But Gus is needed for the PP. Not sure what Staal and Merril are needed for.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Staal has been good when he's working along the boards, but two areas he has been brutal at are:

- Faceoffs 41% is awful, considering he was 51% in the regular season with the Habs
- His play in the neutral zone has been terrible. He has bobbled and lost so many pucks and he's also coughed up a lot of pucks instead of getting it deep.

He'd probably look better on the wing, but given Evans is out we have no other choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad