Eric Lindros

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Hello, me again asking about retired players.

Whats you guys opinion on Eric Lindros?

One of the most dominant Flyers player ever?

Did he not play in a line called "Legion of Doom" with Renberg and Leclair?

EricLindros-e1318913113189.jpg

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
He did play on the Legion of Doom line with LeClair and Renberg.

And yes he was one of the most dominant, not just Flyers, but players in his era. Obviously health had to do with his career being cut so short, but nobody can deny what the guy did during his peak healthy years. One of my favorite players to watch

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Lindros and the legion of doom, one of my all time favorite flyers lines of all time. Will go down in history as one of the best.
I was lucky enough to see them play in Calgary and Vancouver, several times over several seasons. Some of my favorite sporting trips, I had ever had.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Lindros is widely considered the 2nd greatest Flyers forward ever behind Bobby Clarke.

His Points Per Game as a Flyer, had he maintained that after he left, would be 5th best in NHL history.

His only knock in his time as a Flyer was his immaturity and some shoddy advice from her overbearing parents.

His rare combination of size, strength, speed and skill changed the game forever.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
When Eric lived in Sturbridge Woods we were doing some work on a new section right near his house. Back then we would crack some beers and throw some shoes after work. One of the guys spotted him and he can over to say Hi to us. Really nice guy but not a good horseshoe player:). He said if we stuck something in his mailbox he would sign it which some of the guys did(we did not abuse this). One day he even brought us a case of beer. I do not know the chick he was dating then but she was a sweet little blonde who worked on TV. Yes he was a dominate player who played on the LOD line with John and Mikael. Back then he was considered the next one after Wayne and Mario and for a period of time he was. Two things in my mind hurt his career. Poor coaching in Oshawa and St.Michaels where he was allowed to skate with his head down because no one would hit him(this would come back to haunt him) cause he was so big and mean. The second was his parents who were always involved in his career and this caused friction between Eric and some organizations. There still to this day are a large contingent of Canadians (and some Americans) who will never be fans of his. See Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds and Quebec Nordiques and to some extent the Flyers where Bobby Clarke and his parents butted heads. I am glad he was selected into the HOF. Hope this info helps a little bit.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
I still believe we should retire his number, he was arguably the greatest flyer of all time, even with his career cut short and him not staying on the team due to off ice issues, however with that said, I don't think there has ever been a player so dominate, he was just so fast, talented, and much stronger than damn near everyone he played against, and had he not been injured by arguably the dirtiest defenseman of all time who was notorious for those flying elbows, I believe he'd be a top 10 player of all time

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
To the best of my memory, the first time I saw him live, in St. Louis, the Flyers won 7-2 and he was thrown out for brutalizing every single opposing player he saw. It was unlike anything I had ever seen before. I had never seen anyone so physically imposing who could ice skate at all, much less skate that well. I never really deeply hated the Rags (because at one time they had my favorite 1980 US Olympian, Rob McClanahan) until those mid-90s series, and Lindros destroyed them whether we won or not.

Still, I never warmed to him. A huge part of this is what it cost us - my favorites Mike Ricci and Hextall especially - but another huge thing was the way he and his family dealt with his injuries. While I still believe his family wasn't without blame, I now understand what I didn't then about the seriousness of concussions. I probably won't ever have warm feelings toward the guy, but in hindsight I really understand and appreciate what he went through and especially appreciate all he has done to bring the terrible issues about concussions into the light so that we can deal with them and so the league is forced to face them and do something about them.

Oh, and **** Scott Stevens.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
It's interesting to see the difference in opinion from back then and now. Back then, Scott Stevens threw dirty, but legal hits and people would say "You need to learn to skate with your head up." Nowadays, Stevens would be continually suspended for his dirty hits which have since been deemed illegal. In Raleigh I saw him basically ruin the career of Shane Willis by his dirty hit. He really hurt Kariya and Ron Francis as well as Lindros. Back then he was praised for his hits, now he'd have to change or spend his life suspended.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I think one of the things that hindered Lindros was the fact that the Captain's C was thrust upon him. I don't think he ever wanted it and I think he would have been a better player had he not been the captain.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
To the best of my memory, the first time I saw him live, in St. Louis, the Flyers won 7-2 and he was thrown out for brutalizing every single opposing player he saw. It was unlike anything I had ever seen before. I had never seen anyone so physically imposing who could ice skate at all, much less skate that well. I never really deeply hated the Rags (because at one time they had my favorite 1980 US Olympian, Rob McClanahan) until those mid-90s series, and Lindros destroyed them whether we won or not.

Still, I never warmed to him. A huge part of this is what it cost us - my favorites Mike Ricci and Hextall especially - but another huge thing was the way he and his family dealt with his injuries. While I still believe his family wasn't without blame, I now understand what I didn't then about the seriousness of concussions. I probably won't ever have warm feelings toward the guy, but in hindsight I really understand and appreciate what he went through and especially appreciate all he has done to bring the terrible issues about concussions into the light so that we can deal with them and so the league is forced to face them and do something about them.

Oh, and **** Scott Stevens.

well obviously his style of play did hurt him staying healthy. You live by the sword you die by it. I don't blame Stevens for that hit. Lindros would of given the hit if the roles were reversed.
Lindros was never shy about laying a massive, sometimes questionable hit on a unsuspecting player. See Dackell.
Sure it would of been great to see what kind of career he would of had, had he not been injured so often especially from concussions. but like I said given the way he played the game I don't know if that would of been possible.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
When Eric lived in Sturbridge Woods we were doing some work on a new section right near his house. Back then we would crack some beers and throw some shoes after work. One of the guys spotted him and he can over to say Hi to us. Really nice guy but not a good horseshoe player:). He said if we stuck something in his mailbox he would sign it which some of the guys did(we did not abuse this). One day he even brought us a case of beer. I do not know the chick he was dating then but she was a sweet little blonde who worked on TV.

If it's the same time period I think you mean, her name was Jessica.

I grew up in the same development. I've said it before in various Lindros threads, but I can't emphasize enough how friendly he was to the kids in the neighborhood. Played everything from street hockey to basketball with us. I'm sure he was a jerk to many people, but I just hate seeing it reported so one-sided and enjoyed reading another positive social interaction since the hockey talent speaks for itself.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I met him a number of times as a kid (even the day after Stevens knocked him out) and he was always good to me too.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
If it's the same time period I think you mean, her name was Jessica.

I grew up in the same development. I've said it before in various Lindros threads, but I can't emphasize enough how friendly he was to the kids in the neighborhood. Played everything from street hockey to basketball with us. I'm sure he was a jerk to many people, but I just hate seeing it reported so one-sided and enjoyed reading another positive social interaction since the hockey talent speaks for itself.

I've actually met him twice and he was one of the nicest players I've ever met, it also annoys me the way the media made him out to look like an ass every chance they had

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
One thing that rarely gets mentioned - most likely because so many other facets of his game were great - was his stickhandling. The puck stuck to his blade like a lamprey.

SeaLamprey_T-Lawrence_GLFC_1.jpg

A lamprey

I never cared for the "Legion of Doom" moniker. Thought it was a case of trying too hard for a nickname. A bit contrived. He made LeClair a better player. Earlier in Lindros' career, there were many times when I thought "don't do it!" when he would be getting chipped by agitators late in the game. Sure, he would pummel the fiend, but it made for some anxious third periods.

I remember I was driving from work when, I think it was Macnow, announced Lindros would be coming to Philadelphia. The skies opened up and the giddiness of the possibilities was intoxicating. I was glad the Flyers did not trade Brind'Amour or Renberg, who had a phenomenal rookie season (38-44-82) the year before Lindros arrived. He had a great first year with Lindros but injuries and a hiccuping stick belie just how long this line was together and effective - from a scoring perspective - in many minds.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Genuinely neat to see other people saying positive things about a guy that doesn't always get that treatment.

.It had to be early mid 90's if that rings a bell. It was a big house for one young man. Red brick if I remember right

Yep. Your memory is good. He lived on the newer side of the Forrest Hills Dr loop. Right by John Vukovich.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I never cared for the "Legion of Doom" moniker. Thought it was a case of trying too hard for a nickname. A bit contrived. He made LeClair a better player. Earlier in Lindros' career, there were many times when I thought "don't do it!" when he would be getting chipped by agitators late in the game. Sure, he would pummel the fiend, but it made for some anxious third periods.

I remember I was driving from work when, I think it was Macnow, announced Lindros would be coming to Philadelphia. The skies opened up and the giddiness of the possibilities was intoxicating. I was glad the Flyers did not trade Brind'Amour or Renberg, who had a phenomenal rookie season (38-44-82) the year before Lindros arrived. He had a great first year with Lindros but injuries and a hiccuping stick belie just how long this line was together and effective - from a scoring perspective - in many minds.

Actually, the LOD tag wasn't contrived at all. It happened like all great nicknames - spontaneously and organically. Jimmy Montgomery, an AHL/NHL tweener with the Flyers, dubbed them that in practice one day after they were together for only a couple of games and it instantly took off.

Also, Renberg joined the Flyers the year after Lindros, not before.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
I think one of the things that hindered Lindros was the fact that the Captain's C was thrust upon him. I don't think he ever wanted it and I think he would have been a better player had he not been the captain.

He would have lasted longer. Anyone that knows his demeanor knows that he never wanted to be a leader. The C should have been on Brind'AMour and let big e learn the ropes. But make no mistake, Lindros was mean and nasty when he entered the league- go look at what he did at the world championships before he was a pro.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
He was far less appreciated when he played than he is now and that's because of the injuries and his parents. In that era, concussions were not thought of as serious injures. The fact that he took so much time off so frequently to deal with them left people upset that their superstar was not helping the team through entire seasons. Especially in a town that loves their blue collar players, Eric played like a blue collar player with the off ice persona of a flower. I mean that in no disrespect, he's a player I love and respect, but that was the perception at the time. He was a monster on the ice, but cried off the ice and took a lot of time off to nurse his wounds. Looking back at the seriousness of concussions as we know them now, we should not have looked at him that way.

Anyways, what im trying to say is that he was a pretty divisive player. Extremely talented, gifted, and downright dominant. But was surrounded by a lot of other factors that affected how he should have been seen.

Long overdue for the Hall of Fame and I think he will/deserves to have 88 in the rafters

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I was a huge Lindros fan, still am to this day. Went to his (& Leclairs) Flyers HOF induction, was super emotional the whole time. But even I am in the camp that wished Lindros was just the best player on the team. Brindamour would've served as a much better C in their respective roles.

Brindamour did the dirty work and could just be the whiley old vet (even though he wasn't much older than Lindros) and Lindros could just go out and be the best player in hockey.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Like everyone I was a big Lindros fan in the beginning but soured on him toward the end. Too much drama and too many injuries. One of the greatest talents ever, which is a shame because he is more remembered for the injuries and the drama. If he stayed healthy and didn't whine as much he'd probably be on a lot of people's lists of greatest players ever to play the game.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
The mid-90s teams were my favorite. They were what I grew up with. I was 8 when we made the cup finals in 97. Eric was a mythical beast to me. Infallible. Guys acted scared of him on the ice. You would see grown men avoid the corners where the puck was because they knew if they went in to get it they'd get crushed. I can't say he was my favorite, I don't really know why but I loved Recchi as a kid. Probably the "I'm small he's small logic" of a pre-10 year old. My dad came to pick me up from Kindergarten in 95 the day he was traded, and he told me. Apparently I wouldn't stop crying for days. But Legion of Doom, Crazy Eights, Brindy, Desjardins, all those guys I loved. I knew he would make it to the Hall one day. I'm glad they finally got over themselves and put him in. The stuff that he was lambasted for was ahead of it's time. He knew his body wasn't right so he didn't play and today you want players to do that knowing what we know now.

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
Actually, the LOD tag wasn't contrived at all. It happened like all great nicknames - spontaneously and organically. Jimmy Montgomery, an AHL/NHL tweener with the Flyers, dubbed them that in practice one day after they were together for only a couple of games and it instantly took off.

Also, Renberg joined the Flyers the year after Lindros, not before.

It felt contrived to me, regardless of where or how it originated.

As for your other point - right on. I'm old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad