Confirmed with Link: Eric Lindros Elected Into HHoF

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
If Ciccarelli and Nieuwendyk can get in - and for heaven's sake, Clark Gillies, then Recchi and Andreychuk deserve to go in. It may not be popular, but I would also list Mcdonald and Gilmour in the "If they can get in then..." argument. And Lanny was a favorite of mine in the 1970s.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If Ciccarelli and Nieuwendyk can get in - and for heaven's sake, Clark Gillies, then Recchi and Andreychuk deserve to go in. It may not be popular, but I would also list Mcdonald and Gilmour in the "If they can get in then..." argument. And Lanny was a favorite of mine in the 1970s.

I'm not arguing that they shouldn't. People usually complain about the guys who didn't have the longevity & get in. Lindros, Forsberg, & Bure didn't have long carees but for the majority of the career they did have they were truly elite players. I'm just stating my personal opinion is that I am the opposite. I value those guys over guys like Recchi & Andreychuk (they're just examples too, you can find more in that group) is what I am saying.

The first group transcended the game more IMO. Lindros is the greatest physical specimen to ever play the game, Forsberg was really the first top euro to play that gritty NA style of game, & Bure was not only one of the greatest scorers in the game but quite possibly the fastest skater to ever lace them up.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
We shouldn't forget the accomplishments of Pat Quinn or overlook his induction today. Quinn was an integral part of the team's transition of a different era, well-respected perhaps universally by his players and worked endlessly to help right the wrong that was the exclusion of Fred Shero into the HHOF.

Congrats to both former Flyers.

BearFlag

Aug 12, 2013
Orange County, CA
Amazing! Lindros is the player who really made me start paying attention to hockey. I remember the '87 finals and my dad making a big deal about it, but I didn't get into it too much as the Phillies were my thing at the time, but once Lindros hit the scene I was completely hooked.

Couldn't even count the number of street hockey games in Delco where a bunch of 12-14 year olds were fighting over who got to pretend they were Lindros, Leclair, etc... those were the days! Everyone following the Flyers in the 90's knew first hand how devastatingly great Lindros was, it's a shame he was a bit too early for the internet and center ice packages, he'd probably have more favor with the younger HF crowd if they had been more exposed to what Big E could do, even the highlight packages on Youtube don't do justice to how this guy controlled a game shift after shift, it was a lot of fun to witness!

I feel the same way.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Hey, congrats to the Big E! As a Pens fan, Lindros is probably my 2nd favorite Flyer next to Hextall. I met him when I was a kid & in spite of the reputation he had, he was very accessible to the fans and was a very nice person. I actually ended up liking the Flyers throughout the 1990s and rooted for you guys in 1997. Really didn't start hating the Flyers until that goal by Keith Primeau in the 5th overtime against us in 2000 (but that's for a different topic).

Anyways, props to Lindros, he deserved it, and the stuff he does for sick children is truly admirable.

Sidenote, how does Mark Recchi not get in? 500+ goals, 1,500+ points, that should be an automatic HOF induction if you ask me (of course, no one ever asks me).

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
WIP talking Lindros entering hall of fame, good stuff and some interesting tidbits coming out from Morganti and Jones.

Morganti: feels bad on his the thoughts at the time about the concussion issue and making less of what it really was, as everyone probably did. Talked about how they were the first people in sports to really bring to focus about the concussion issues. He fell just short of saying the Lindros family was the pioneer in concussion studies and awareness.

Morganti: he didn't get along with Carl and he ABSOLUTELY didn't get along with Bonnie. :laugh: In the age of the fax machine before twitter, Internet, and email dominating life, Morganti would come home DAILY to pages and pages of concussion info from Carl, along with letters ripping Clarke for management and roster construction.

Jones saying he should absolutely be in, and was absolutely feared on the ice(obvious). Saying that he dominated the bench and that he would give the coach the look when he was ready to go back out often skipping other lines in the rotation.

Good stuff so far. Of course the jackass Cataldi is saying he shouldn't be in, because that's his job.

Tune in if you can, interesting stuff.

Last edited:

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Morganti: He didn't like Lindros because he felt like Lindros didn't love the game. Comparing him to Iverson who loved his sport, he felt Lindros viewed it more as a job than a passion. And he holds his parents responsible for raising him that way.

Last edited:

Orange and Black

Dec 13, 2006
Philadelphia
It's disgusting what they are doing to him on that show. I tuned in for 5 minutes and was quickly reminded why I don't listen to that station.

Congrats to 88!

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Lindros was probably the best player that's come through Philly in the last 30 years and that stupid ass show talks about him like he was a dime a dozen player.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
It's disgusting what they are doing to him on that show. I tuned in for 5 minutes and was quickly reminded why I don't listen to that station.

Congrats to 88!

I didn't get that feeling.:dunno: of course it's Cataldi being his usual ******* self, if you can ignore his nonsenseJones and Morganti are sharing some good stories in my opinion.

Jones talk of the night with Eric's collapsed lung. After the game Lindros complains his ribs were hurting, and didn't go out for post game beers which he usually did, opting to stay in the hotel room. When Jones got back he was still complaining of pain and Jones gave him Advil hoping that would help him. At some point he said around 6 AM he woke up and seen Lindros white as a ghost wondering what was going on, and Joel's jones told him straight up " yeah because you're dying ". Needless to say Lindros was shocked and said what do you mean, Jones told him that he was bleeding internally and got things going to get him medical attention. Jones said he knew what was happening because his daughter had a similar issue as a child and Lindros looks the same way she did when she had her internal respiratory issue.

Morganti added that Worley was already at the hospital ER with an injured Recchi so it may have been pretty difficult, if not impossible to even get in touch with him.

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The Flyers training staff was a joke back then. Dudes got hurt constantly, but they had to play through **** because of the "bully" mantra.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Lindros's parents currently threatening to sit out HOF ceremony if Eric Lindros's rights are not traded to the Baseball Hall of Fame. More endorsement opportunity and no french-speaking fans.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
One thing that is really gross in retrospect is how much abuse Eric's parents had to take from fans and press, especially in Canada.

You're talking about an 18-year-old kid that everyone in the game is looking to exploit/market for their own purposes.

Look at the health issues alone and how poorly the Flyers handled so many situations (remember the collapsed lung and plane flight that could have killed him?)

His parents had his best interests in mind and no one else did.

Anyway, great great great player. Severely underrated by history. I realize he may not have been the greatest guy off the ice for various reasons but he certainly played the game hard and protected his teammates on the ice even though he was the best player.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I have no problem with any of those guys getting in. The problem I have is with Bernie ****ing Federko sliding right in without a problem. Recchi isn't in, but Federko is? That is a Category 5 hurricane of horse ****.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Well that branch is dead. There are still couple hundred players affected by it and part of the tree and if any are ever traded will add more players. For example Jordan Weal was a draft pick in 2010 that was traded for Brian Boyle, who was part of the Adam Deadmarsh deal for Rob Blake, and Deadmarsh was a pick given to Quebec for Hextall, acquired from the Lindros deal.

The Legacy of that branch is the 3rd round pick the Flyers acquired, Carsen Twarynski, with Weal for Lecavalier and Luke Schenn, as Lecavalier retired and Luke Schenn will likely not resign.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Well that branch is dead. There are still couple hundred players affected by it and part of the tree and if any are ever traded will add more players. For example Jordan Weal was a draft pick in 2010 that was traded for Brian Boyle, who was part of the Adam Deadmarsh deal for Rob Blake, and Deadmarsh was a pick given to Quebec for Hextall, acquired from the Lindros deal.

The Legacy of that branch is the 3rd round pick the Flyers acquired, Carsen Twarynski, with Weal for Lecavalier and Luke Schenn, as Lecavalier retired and Luke Schenn will likely not resign.

Oh man, it would be kind of cool to see someone do a full Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon thing with the Lindros deal.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Watch some youtube videos of Lindros and enjoy yourself. lol.

Probably the best one on the Internet. Lindros killing people with Metallica playing in the background.

Lindros driving Rob Dimaio's head into the ice was probably the craziest things I've ever seen. I would love to see the reaction to a play like that now a days. :laugh:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
I'm happy Eric Lindros got in (well deserved), but I think it's messed up that Mark Recchi didn't get in. I think he had the best credentials out of anyone that was eligible.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I suspect Makarov's wait had gotten to such an absurd level that voters finally decided to do something.

I'd be shocked if Recchi isn't easily in next summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad