Proposal: Eric Karlsson to the Isles as part of rebound

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah those FIVE 1st rounders Ottawa walks away with+ roughly $20m in salary saved are brutal for Ottawa :sarcasm:
What good is cap space if you cant sign a top 5 player in his prime or a top line center?... Teams spend decades looking for these pieces.

In Ottawa we'd much rather be able to retain the best player in Franchise history and a player they gave up the farm for. Were just in absolute ownership hell.

Just seems to me people around here would rather pretend Karlsson isnt what he is instead of trading a player that might be decent but never on his level. Which is absurd.

Last edited:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I don't know why everyone is so sure that Karlsson wouldn't re-sign with the Islanders.

Just because Tavares didn't doesn't mean nobody will. They have great young pieces.

I get that it's a concern he wouldn't, so obviously they should speak to him about a contract extension first.

You're Erik Karlsson. You have the chance to sign one of the biggest, most expensive free agent deals in the history of the National Hockey League. You also have the chance to essentially choose where you'll play, as you'll have interest from every single team in the league. Play your cards right, and you can both get paid and play for the cup every year for the rest of your career.

Why the Isles? They have no true home arena for the next couple of years. They're in a high tax state. They weren't a playoff team and just lost their franchise player for nothing, which is pretty much unprecedented and decidedly a cause for concern. Their roster is not positioned to win anything for at least the next 3 years or so and is full of overpaid fodder. They haven't been past the 2nd round of the playoff since you, a 28 year old man, were a toddler, and the organization has almost become synonymous with managerial incompetence during that time. And now, apparently, they've traded away all of their best prospects to acquire you, including next year's first round pick.

Why the hell would you sign an extension?

Reactions: PWJunior

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Just seems to me people around here would rather pretend Karlsson isnt what he is instead of trading a player that might be decent but never on his level. Which is absurd.

Pretty much no one is doing this. It's just more complicated than you want it to be.

You're not simply acquiring future-HOF defenseman Erik Karlsson.

First, the trading with an extension in hand thing is unlikely to work out, unless it's the team that Karlsson has his heart set on, in which case, he and the team in question now have leverage over the Sens to lower the price, as Karlsson can negotiate an extension with that one team only, and now the trade market has been cut down to exactly one team. Remember, it benefits Karlsson that whichever team that acquires him doesn't pay too much. Dorion is now in an even more impossible situation.

So, more than likely, you are trading for Karlsson without the extension, meaning you are only getting him for 1 year, and then you're trading for the opportunity to compete with every other team in the league to sign him to a massive cap-busting contract (which you'll do, because it's Erik f***ing Karlsson, but still) and oh yeah, there are concerns that his ankle injury is going to permanently affect his speed as he enters his 30s(!), robbing him of one of his best weapons. And you're going to pay a premium for this privilege. That's a dicey proposition for every team in the league. For the Isles, who just went through hell with Tavares, that's nightmarish.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Pretty much no one is doing this. It's just more complicated than you want it to be.

You're not simply acquiring future-HOF defenseman Erik Karlsson.

First, the trading with an extension in hand thing is unlikely to work out, unless it's the team that Karlsson has his heart set on, in which case, he and the team in question now have leverage over the Sens to lower the price, as Karlsson can negotiate an extension with that one team only, and now the trade market has been cut down to exactly one team. Remember, it benefits Karlsson that whichever team that acquires him doesn't pay too much. Dorion is now in an even more impossible situation.

So, more than likely, you are trading for Karlsson without the extension, meaning you are only getting him for 1 year, and then you're trading for the opportunity to compete with every other team in the league to sign him to a massive cap-busting contract (which you'll do, because it's Erik ****ing Karlsson, but still) and oh yeah, there are concerns that his ankle injury is going to permanently affect his speed as he enters his 30s(!), robbing him of one of his best weapons. And you're going to pay a premium for this privilege. That's a dicey proposition for every team in the league. For the Isles, who just went through hell with Tavares, that's nightmarish.
Why not quote my entire post?

His Ankle is also healed he was fine his last 20 games and scored over a ppg his last 30. He also has incredible hockey sense and has already effectively played on one leg. When he does start to slow down at the end of the contract his game likely evolves through the progression of his career like other greats. He has the tools.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Why not quote my entire post?

Because the rest of it was irrelevant. Karlsson ain't signing an extension with the Isles, so it doesn't matter if it's hard to acquire a player like Karlsson. And obviously I'm sure Ottawa fans would far prefer to keep Karlsson & Duchene, but that's neither here nor there.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Here's the thing that I don't understand, that bugs me about all of these proposals: (i) unless a deal is to Karlsson's top destinations, what is Karlsson's motivation to negotiate a contract in an attempt to raise his value to the Senators, and (ii) if Karlsson is able to pick his destination there aren't really multiple bidders to raise his value.

It's just not going to happen. I think Karlsson is going to bring back a 1st + prospect on a rental, and it won't be from NYI.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Here's the thing that I don't understand, that bugs me about all of these proposals: (i) unless a deal is to Karlsson's top destinations, what is Karlsson's motivation to negotiate a contract in an attempt to raise his value to the Senators, and (ii) if Karlsson is able to pick his destination there aren't really multiple bidders to raise his value.

It's just not going to happen. I think Karlsson is going to bring back a 1st + prospect on a rental, and it won't be from NYI.

The incentive is getting close to $100M guaranteed right now. I don't know about you, but if I had the opportunity to sign that kind of contract now, or wait a year to maybe sign the same contract, I'd be doing anything in my power to sign it now.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
You're Erik Karlsson. You have the chance to sign one of the biggest, most expensive free agent deals in the history of the National Hockey League. You also have the chance to essentially choose where you'll play, as you'll have interest from every single team in the league. Play your cards right, and you can both get paid and play for the cup every year for the rest of your career.

Why the Isles? They have no true home arena for the next couple of years. They're in a high tax state. They weren't a playoff team and just lost their franchise player for nothing, which is pretty much unprecedented and decidedly a cause for concern. Their roster is not positioned to win anything for at least the next 3 years or so and is full of overpaid fodder. They haven't been past the 2nd round of the playoff since you, a 28 year old man, were a toddler, and the organization has almost become synonymous with managerial incompetence during that time. And now, apparently, they've traded away all of their best prospects to acquire you, including next year's first round pick.

Why the hell would you sign an extension?

Well personally I'd consider that they have good young pieces (including some kid who apparently won the Calder, or so I've heard), a tendency to draft very well, the Stanley Cup winning coach, and a legend at the GM position.

Also, you know, money n' shit.

I'm not saying they are a prime destination in the league right now, but I wouldn't immediately rule them out - especially if they offer him a number a lot of teams couldn't match.

I just think it's a little hasty to assume no free agents would sign there.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The incentive is getting close to $100M guaranteed right now. I don't know about you, but if I had the opportunity to sign that kind of contract now, or wait a year to maybe sign the same contract, I'd be doing anything in my power to sign it now.

The idea that there is going to be a bundle of teams ready to offer $100 million + a boatload of prospects at the same time has happened, but *very* rarely. The way you deal with big cap hits is balancing them with ELC's and in-control RFA's. Otherwise you end up with a great player on a dead-end team. I'm not saying that it can't happen, but there aren't going to be enough teams interested in doing it to drive up the cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad