Proposal: Eric Karlsson to the Isles as part of rebound

GibsonLesPaul

Apr 23, 2012
in a perfect scenario, the now Tavares-less NY Islanders should be in hot pursuit of Karlsson. They afterall have the most attractive prospect pool out there. With how low they are in the cap they can afford multiple players.

So ideally here is a trade that helps both clubs get what they want at the same time Isles rebound in the offseason.

NYI - E. Karlsson, M. Duchene, C. Andersen, B. Ryan
Ott - O. Wahlstrom, N. Dobson, J. HoSang, M. DalColle, J. Skarek, S. Aho, C. Clutterbuck, A. Ladd, 1st round picks 2019 and 2021 and 2nd round 2020

Ottawa rebuilds even though lost their own pick next year but got the Isles 2019 first round to go with the Isles 2 first rounders this year. On top they dumped Bobby Ryan and Anderson in 1 fell swoop.

For the Isles they rebound from the loss of Tavares with a new captain in Karlsson, a top line center in Duchene and a veteran goalie in Anderson. Trotz is now a happy man as this squad will indeed compete for the playoffs. They kept their current roster intact with addition of three players that fix their key holes immediately. On top a new face of the franchise too.

This trade is too perfect for both teams that sadly will make it very unlikely to come true.

What do u guys think?

PS. I assume the players going to the Isles agreed to sign long term with the team. I mean ink on paper.

Last edited:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
This smells of islanders trying to save face and compete this year (with the leafs??) And makes no sense for them long term. And yet somehow falls short on value...idk what to say

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I think there's no way in hell that Erik Karlsson (re)signs with the Islanders, making this entire thing pointless.

(Also, that proposal's ****ing brutal for the Isles.)

Dude you're getting a 27 year old generational talent, a 27 year old number 1 center, a #1 goalie

and you think that it's brutal for the Isles?

Only on HF.

Rather win a prospects cup than a stanley cup.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
That's bad for the isles

Dude you're getting a 27 year old generational talent, a 27 year old number 1 center, a #1 goalie

Only on HF.

I mean, they lose Karlsson to UFA, probably lose Duchene to UFA as well unless they dramatically overpay, lose Anderson to retirement the year after that, and are stuck with Bobby Ryan's corpse. For that privilege, they pay out at least 4 young high-end assets that are cost-controlled for around the next decade or so, plus several other solid assets, and a cap dump or two.

What's not to love?

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
So basically they give away their farm to get Karlsson instead of Tavares.

mja

Jan 7, 2005

Only on HF.

Also, I'm not getting anything. I'm not the Isles and not an Isles fan. I'm a Flyers fan, so doing this deal and watching them destroy their team for the next decade for a year of Karlsson & Duchene would be pretty damned ideal for me, but it's just an absolutely brutal proposal that ignores contract status and reality in general.

Reactions: PWJunior

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Also, I'm not getting anything. I'm not the Isles and not an Isles fan. I'm a Flyers fan, so doing this deal and watching them destroy their team for the next decade for a year of Karlsson & Duchene would be pretty damned ideal for me, but it's just an absolutely brutal proposal that ignores contract status and reality in general.

If NYI become contenders which they will if this trade happens. Why would Karlsson and Duchene not want to stick around? They would be young millionaires in NYC playing on a contender.

If they get a fair contract and the opportunity to win cups players are very likely to re-sign.

Last edited:

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
What do u guys think?

I get the sentiment, and sympathize, but I also think that Erik Karlsson isn't likely to re-up with the Islanders. I don't really think the value debate is worth having if you can't get beyond that point.

I think that there are players who would consider it, but a player coming out of the Ottawa environment is going to crave a team that is stable and right on the cusp of contention, and that franchise isn't it.

To make it interesting, I think the OP would need to present a cogent case that Lou Lamoriello would make to convince Karlsson to stay. It's a challenge. I don't think you can do it convincingly. No premium player that is nearing free agency, who is presented with a sign-and-trade scenario by his current club, is going to agree to the Tavares-less Islanders as the destination.

I don't see why the Islanders would necessarily want to divest themselves of all their youth, prospects and high picks either. The NYI are suddenly going to be a team that is building it up again, and those players will be key to that recovery.

Last edited:

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
I think that there are players who would consider it, but a player coming out of the Ottawa environment is going to crave a team that is stable and right on the cusp of contention, and that franchise isn't it

Wait, what?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Might as well just switch franchises at this point. Way too many players involved in this one.

Edit: I'll say this. as a Sens fan, we went though the same thing when Alfredsson walked. That panic to trade for Bobby Ryan ended up blowing up in our faces. Lost some nice prospects, and then overpaid for a dud. Don't make the same mistake on Long Island. You've got a great stable of kids. Just ride out the next season or two, get that new arena built, and you'll see a turnaround happen quickly. Don't panic and make a trade you'll regret.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
If NYI become contenders which they will if this trade happens. Why would Karlsson and Duchene not want to stick around? They would be young millionaires in NYC playing on a contender.

This trade wouldn't make the Isles contenders. They just finished 11th in the conference and were closer in points to Ottawa than they were to the 8th seed Devils. Duchene's not any kind of real replacement for Tavares. Karlsson doesn't put them over the top. They still have holes, question marks, and overpaid bottom 6 forwards all over their line-up. f***, they just signed Val Filppula for a top 9 role. As a Flyers fan, I can tell you that that's just any not good.

Also, have you seen the general state of the Isles franchise? They don't even have a true home arena. It's not going to be at the top of any free agent's list of prospective teams.

This trade makes no freaking sense for them.

Keep the young assets, be bad next year and maybe luck out on Hughes, and then have a decade of high end relatively inexpensive controlled assets. That makes a shit ton more sense.

Reactions: PWJunior

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
If he would re-sign I don't think the value's bad (can't even tell though because so many moving parts). But this would never happen for just so many reasons.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
No chance in hell do the Isles even consider this. It's perfect for Ottawa though.

We just got played by Tavares who lied to us all year. Why would we put ourselves in the same position for another opportunity at being used. We will take our lumps from our former captain, but we sure as he'll don't want Karlsson or Duchene. That's Ottawa's problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad