Proposal: Eric Karlsson to the Isles as part of rebound

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Wait, people asking for Barzal are being serious? No thanks to that, or the original proposal.

Isles are better off making smaller moves while building up their roster to coincide with their move to Belmont.

Reactions: PWJunior

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
i wouldn’t do karlsson for barzal 1 for 1 right now

I don't know man, star rookie center with franchise player potential who just turned 21 and is a controlled asset for the next 6 years or 28 year old UFA-to-be still not fully recovered from major surgery who's going to be the most sought-after free agent since the last guy the Isles lost to free agency for absolutely nothing.

Tough call.

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
So basically a bunch of meh players from the Isles (+picks) for Ottawa's best players. Yet, the Isles still lose this deal because it's likely none of those players re-sign. EK, Duchene both UFA's in 1 year, and Anderson UFA in 2 years. They'd get to keep Bobby Ryan for awhile, though..

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Ottawa can target whoever they want. But I want no part of Karlsson Duchene or Ryan. We just Got played by our former Captain, we aren't looking to do it again.

Find another sucker we already gave at the office. One Benedict Arnold is enough (or as I like to call him and Aryne Fuller. The Twin hoars of Toronto.)

Last edited:

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Might as well just switch franchises at this point. Way too many players involved in this one.

Edit: I'll say this. as a Sens fan, we went though the same thing when Alfredsson walked. That panic to trade for Bobby Ryan ended up blowing up in our faces. Lost some nice prospects, and then overpaid for a dud. Don't make the same mistake on Long Island. You've got a great stable of kids. Just ride out the next season or two, get that new arena built, and you'll see a turnaround happen quickly. Don't panic and make a trade you'll regret.
For what it's worth:

Jakob Silfverberg - 209 points in 419 games played.
Stefan Noesen - 37 points in 118 games played.
Nick Ritchie (1st round pick 2014) - 59 points in 186 games played.

I think you did alright, all things considered. The contract sucks, but you didn't lose out on that much, imo. Sure, I know they were high on Silfverberg, but he's a perennial 40 point scorer. They grow on trees in this league.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
in a perfect scenario,

NYI - E. Karlsson, M. Duchene, C. Andersen, B. Ryan
Ott - O. Wahlstrom, N. Dobson, J. HoSang, M. DalColle, J. Skarek, S. Aho, C. Clutterbuck, A. Ladd, 1st round picks 2019 and 2021 and 2nd round 2020

Ottawa rebuilds even though lost their own pick next year but got the Isles 2019 first round to go with the Isles 2 first rounders this year. On top they dumped Bobby Ryan and Anderson in 1 fell swoop.

For the Isles they rebound from the loss of Tavares with a new captain in Karlsson, a top line center in Duchene and a veteran goalie in Anderson. Trotz is now a happy man as this squad will indeed compete for the playoffs. They kept their current roster intact with addition of three players that fix their key holes immediately. On top a new face of the franchise

PS. I assume the players going to the Isles agreed to sign long term with the team. I mean ink on paper.

Even if the impending ufas EK+Duchene agreed to extension,this is a video game trade that ignores the salary cap: $11m for EK, $7.5m for Ryan, $4.7m for Anderson and likely $7m for Duchene.
Ladd's cap hit is $5.5m,but actual salary averages out to $3.6m

Not interested in trading mulitple 1st+ bluechippers Dobson and Wahlstrom. Also not ready to give up on JHS.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Dude you're getting a 27 year old generational talent, a 27 year old number 1 center, a #1 goalie

and you think that it's brutal for the Isles?

Only on HF.

Rather win a prospects cup than a stanley cup.
Only on HF its god damn ridiculous.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Lou's not that senile yet.
What a lunatic he would be to trade for a first ballot hall of famer and the top d man of a generation and a first line center both in their primes for not a single proven asset. Hf has gone mental.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Even if the impending ufas EK+Duchene agreed to extension,this is a video game trade that ignores the salary cap: $11m for EK, $7.5m for Ryan, $4.7m for Anderson and likely $7m for Duchene.
Ladd's cap hit is $5.5m,but actual salary averages out to $3.6m

Not interested in trading mulitple 1st+ bluechippers Dobson and Wahlstrom. Also not ready to give up on JHS.

OP should stick to making guitars.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
What a lunatic he would be to trade for a first ballot hall of famer and the top d man of a generation and a first line center both in their primes for not a single proven asset. Hf has gone mental.
Yeah those FIVE 1st rounders Ottawa walks away with+ roughly $20m in salary saved are brutal for Ottawa :sarcasm:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'm fine with rebuilding instead .

hopefully trending upwards once new arena gets goin
Agreed. Great draft,followed by a brutal ufa period does not mean gutting the franchise of their #1 prospecr ( Walhstrom) ,their #2 prospect (Dobson),their #4 prospect (JHS) and multiple 1st

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
In the hypothetical situation that Karl comes with an extension with the Isles, I’m looking at Dobson + 2019 first as the main pieces.

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Even with EK, the Isles aren’t all that close. Shipping out their best picks/prospects so that they can be semi-competitive right now would be a huge mistake.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

Yes, he'd absolutely be a lunatic to trade a bevy of recent and future first rounds picks (not to mention a disadvantageous swap of camp dumps, as well as other solid assets) for a first ballot hall of famer and top d man of his generation if he can't keep him, which he won't be able to, because why the f*** would EK sign longterm on the Isle?

They literally just went through this nightmare scenario on their captain, a player that they drafted 1st overall and made the centerpiece of their team for the last 9 years, and you are outraged that people are balking at paying out the nose for the privilege to do it all over again for a player, no matter how great, who has absolutely no prior organizational ties / loyalties? That's mental.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I cannor imagine Barzal, coming of an 85 pt rookie season and on his ELC, being available.
People here literally cannot grasp the idea of a player just not being available at any price. There are zero good reasons for the Islanders to move Barzal. The chances of the team moving are greater than the chances of Barzal moving. If they did move him, I could seriously say fans of that team have every justification to burn their jerseys and either stop following hockey or find a new team. Save me the even Gretzky got traded crap. Apples and Oranges.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I don't know why everyone is so sure that Karlsson wouldn't re-sign with the Islanders.

Just because Tavares didn't doesn't mean nobody will. They have great young pieces.

I get that it's a concern he wouldn't, so obviously they should speak to him about a contract extension first.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yes, he'd absolutely be a lunatic to trade a bevy of recent and future first rounds picks (not to mention a disadvantageous swap of camp dumps, as well as other solid assets) for a first ballot hall of famer and top d man of his generation if he can't keep him, which he won't be able to, because why the **** would EK sign longterm on the Isle?

They literally just went through this nightmare scenario on their captain, a player that they drafted 1st overall and made the centerpiece of their team for the last 9 years, and you are outraged that people are balking at paying out the nose for the privilege to do it all over again for a player, no matter how great, who has absolutely no prior organizational ties / loyalties? That's mental.
The deal is under the assumption Karlsson signs an extension.

Which really isnt crazy at all considering NYC is his and his wifes first choice of city. Maybe not franchise but its where they want to live i truly believe.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad