Confirmed with Link: Eric Gryba for pick 107(Christian Wolanin) and Travis Ewanyk

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
"SenzZen":

Ewanyk is a contract the Oilers wanted to get rid of with 1 yr remaining on it, same as Ottawa did when they got rid of Ludwig K along with the Spezza trade...................

Doubt he even makes Binghamton as Kramer & Dunn are ahead of him most likely he will end up in Evansville next season........

Ewanyk was Lazar's old linemate and roommate in junior... 120 pims... maybe he's our future Neil ? Lazar tweeted a welcome to him, so maybe they're trying to help Lazar get more comfortable.... I dunno

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Glad he's gone, our blueline gets better with him on another team. Terrified that Cowen is going to get more icetime. One of him or Borowiecki needs to go for this team's D-Corps to be near-perfect.

It's ok murray really stressed in his post draft interview Cowen's role is defined now on this team and he's going to be be a shutdown use your body type player now.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
It's ok murray really stressed in his post draft interview Cowen's role is defined now on this team and he's going to be be a shutdown use your body type player now.

it sounds like that the defence will look like

methot-karlsson
cowen-ceci
wier-boro
philly and maybe wideman

i really hope we skip out on wideman and sign someone legit

and if we do sign wideman, then hopefully we trade 2 defenceman and sign an upgrade

Ttracer*

That's like saying we effed up because we didn't match the offer for carkner a couple years ago. Yes, they both did something awesome physically in the playoffs, but those players are scrubs and easily replaceable.

Toughness and hitting is super underrated and not easily replaceable. Who's going to fight and scare people on the boards now? Boro? He's great but losing Gryba is big

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Toughness and hitting is super underrated and not easily replaceable. Who's going to fight and scare people on the boards now? Boro? He's great but losing Gryba is big

Gryba was a meh fighter. Google Gryba versus Reeves

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

gryba is a bad fighter. an ok hitter. a bottom pair defenceman at best. i like boro better in every way.
boro could even play with ceci at 3-4 and not look out of place.

cowen is also a better fighter than gryba and just as good of a hitter. better skater when healthy too.

not that anyone needs to fight much. glad gryba is gone.

Ttracer*

Gryba was a meh fighter. Google Gryba versus Reeves
Reaves is one of the toughest fighters in NHL history. Gryba made it out conscious, and skated away like it aint no thang.. We now have noone who will even step to Reaves, these prospects better work out

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Reaves is one of the toughest fighters in NHL history. Gryba made it out conscious, and skated away like it aint no thang.. We now have noone who will even step to Reaves, these prospects better work out

Boro would fight anyone. Even if it was a poor idea to do so. I mean Boro is a wolverine. He doesn't give a ......

Just saying.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Pretty good odds that fighting won't exist in the NHL 5 years from now. Like it or not, the game is changing.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
I would not use the word "genius" for someone who is cleaning up their own mess!

I wouldnt call it a mess, this is what the good organizations do, they flip assets for talent instead of letting them walk for nothing.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Pretty good odds that fighting won't exist in the NHL 5 years from now. Like it or not, the game is changing.
Do you have any idea how long people have been saying that? The League doesn't even want it gone. It's a fast game, it ain't going anywhere.

I don't get why Murray got rid of Gryba!!! :rant:

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Do you have any idea how long people have been saying that? The League doesn't even want it gone. It's a fast game, it ain't going anywhere.

I don't get why Murray got rid of Gryba!!! :rant:
Because he wasn't highly valued here, but not so bad or highly paid that no one would take him. You can't trade a guy no one wants. Gryba wasn't the worst dman in the league, but he didn't do anything -- hit, fight, defend -- that Boro doesn't do better.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Why?????? Team leader in hits, and he almost killed that loser Lars Eller! Have fans are still ******** on that one muahahaha

Murray you effed up

If Boro plays a regular 3rd pairing role (ie 70+ games) I'm sure he'll pick up the slack on the bolded.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A little surprised, in all honesty, as it leaves us with a LD playing RD, or needing for a prospect to make the team.

That said, fair return, and opens up a roster spot. Hopefully Wideman signs,

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
A little surprised, in all honesty, as it leaves us with a LD playing RD, or needing for a prospect to make the team.

That said, fair return, and opens up a roster spot. Hopefully Wideman signs,

Yup. But the magical Wideman is a RD, so if he makes the NHL jump and slides in next to Boro we'd be relatively set.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Why?????? Team leader in hits, and he almost killed that loser Lars Eller! Have fans are still ******** on that one muahahaha

Murray you effed up

Gryba did not lead the team in hits. Boro had over 60 more hits, in far fewer games.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
I would much rather play a competent LD at RD than continue using a line-up with Eric Gryba in its midst. No contest.

People are talking about how we need toughness, grit and somebody who can drop the gloves and I'm wondering if we even watched the same player this season. Gryba had size and never used it effectively this past season. He was soft as butter because he was always out of position and too damn slow to get back into position to even use his body. Boro can do everything that Gryba can do but better. He was redundant and I'm so freakin' happy that he's gone. Praise Murray.

I'm also expecting Wideman to make the team out of camp.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I suppose you have never seen Ferguson, Probert and others.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I would much rather play a competent LD at RD than continue using a line-up with Eric Gryba in its midst. No contest.

People are talking about how we need toughness, grit and somebody who can drop the gloves and I'm wondering if we even watched the same player this season. Gryba had size and never used it effectively this past season. He was soft as butter because he was always out of position and too damn slow to get back into position to even use his body. Boro can do everything that Gryba can do but better. He was redundant and I'm so freakin' happy that he's gone. Praise Murray.

I'm also expecting Wideman to make the team out of camp.

I agree with your assessment of Gryba.

Good teams tend to have more offensive talent and very good two way players. Having a fighter with limited hockey skill is not really a major asset. However, having some larger physical players who play smart and physical can wear down smaller teams. I think the senators defence had too many admen who were slow, including Phillips, Gryba, Ccowen and Wiercioch. Deleting two of those and adding admen with better skating ability (first three step quickness) will help reduce shots against, goals against, and improve the breakout.

Wideman may replace Gryba; however I have not seen him play to have a solid opinion on that. I hope he does well. I do not mind giving Wiercioch and Cowen more ice time and opportunity to play as I think they can get better. I also like Borowiecki as he has decent speed for a Dman and plays a solid D game with excellent physical play.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'm still a big Cowen fan and like Benny said, he showed top 4 ability before getting injured again. I prefer him to Wier believe it or not. Only cause I don't think Wier has much of a future here and cause id rather gamble on Cowen cause he's skillset much more valuable/needed.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
I find myself in a strange situation with this trade given i'm a fan of both cowen and gryba and think wier is overrated.

Happy they're making space for cowen to get more minutes, sad to see gryba go. He ate up some of the hardest minutes for the team. There's a reason ceci looked so good last season - they put him in a position to succeed by giving most of the d-zone starts to gryba. I think edmonton is really going to appreciate gryba and while I doubt we regret trading him, he's going to go on to be a solid third pairing guy for a long time.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Chicago Blackhawks were outhit in 150-something regular season games in a row. They are also one of the smallest teams out there. Joke of a team really :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad