Recalled/Assigned: Eriah Hayes 01/03/14

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Come on Vaasa. I know you know better than to use a stat like that. If JT is out for 41 one of those games compared to some schlep on Pit the comparison is ridiculous. Not saying the Sharks are the worst off, but clearly this is one of the worst years we've had when it comes to injuries.

The Ducks have been without Selanne, Koivu, Beauchamin, Silvferberg, and Sbisa for at least 10 games (or at least 25% of the season). In a few cases, a lot more than 10 games. That's essentially their entire 2nd line (Selanne, Koivu, Silvferberg) and two of their top-4 d-men.

For Penguins it's been Malkin (11 games), Letang (19 games), Neal (20 games), Martin (20 games), and Scuderi (29 games).

By comparison, the Sharks have had Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Pavelski, Vlasic, and Braun in every game this year. Hertl played in 35 of the 41 (so far). Even Boyle didn't miss 10 games (34 of 41 played). The only players with significant injuries really were Burns, Havlat, and Boyle to a lesser degree. And Hertl will likely be out for a healthy stretch. But the Sharks injuries have really not been that bad in comparison to some other teams. So IMO, it's really not an excuse.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
The Ducks have been without Selanne, Koivu, Beauchamin, Silvferberg, and Sbisa for at least 10 games (or at least 25% of the season). In a few cases, a lot more than 10 games. That's essentially their entire 2nd line (Selanne, Koivu, Silvferberg) and two of their top-4 d-men.

For Penguins it's been Malkin (11 games), Letang (19 games), Neal (20 games), Martin (20 games), and Scuderi (29 games).

By comparison, the Sharks have had Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Pavelski, Vlasic, and Braun in every game this year. Hertl played in 35 of the 41 (so far). Even Boyle didn't miss 10 games (34 of 41 played). The only players with significant injuries really were Burns, Havlat, and Boyle to a lesser degree. And Hertl will likely be out for a healthy stretch. But the Sharks injuries have really not been that bad in comparison to some other teams. So IMO, it's really not an excuse.

And look where we are in the standings with a supposedly crap prospect pool. And it's how many are out now that matters going forward. And you left out Torres and Burish.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
A better measure of the effect of injury CHIP (cap hit of injured players). Sharks were leading that for quite a bit of the season.

The Ducks injuries are minimal, come on. They've had Getzlaf, Perry, Cogliano, Winnik, and Fowler. Sbisa is horrendous, Beauchemin is overrated and not a top-4 D, Selanne has been poop all year.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
And look where we are in the standings with a supposedly crap prospect pool. And it's how many are out now that matters going forward. And you left out Torres and Burish.

I agree with you. Looking at the Ducks, for example, they've had strong prospect depth for a while and if they didn't have guys like Lindholm and Bonino and Perrault stepping up, it would definitely be pretty messy for them. Same could be said for the Penguins on defense. They have a insane number of NHL ready defense prospects. Also the Penguins are probably the only team in the league that can get away with being a one line team as long as they have Crosby or Malkin healthy.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Also, I just added it up coming to 134 games missed making us 11, but who knows how far off they are with others.

Hertl 6
Burns 13
Wingels 2
Boyle 7
Havlat 19
Hannan 5 (Guess)
Torres 41
Burish 41

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Also, I just added it up coming to 134 games missed making us 11, but who knows how far off they are with others.

Hertl 6
Burns 13
Wingels 2
Boyle 7
Havlat 19
Hannan 5 (Guess)
Torres 41
Burish 41

I may be wrong but if that site goes off of players that are put on IR then that would make a difference as the Sharks don't put players on IR unless they have to.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I may be wrong but if that site goes off of players that are put on IR then that would make a difference as the Sharks don't put players on IR unless they have to.

Yeah, I thought about that after. The site does say "reported". Still, those are the real games lost or at least best I could come up with lol.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
A better measure of the effect of injury CHIP (cap hit of injured players). Sharks were leading that for quite a bit of the season.

The Ducks injuries are minimal, come on. They've had Getzlaf, Perry, Cogliano, Winnik, and Fowler. Sbisa is horrendous, Beauchemin is overrated and not a top-4 D, Selanne has been poop all year.

Overall I agree, but Hertl at 925k kind of skews that number for us.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011

The Sharks injuries have been pretty tough, although they have the depth to weather the storm.

However, if you look at the standings and the season goal differential, you should conclude the Sharks don't need an excuse. What do you think they need an excuse for? Not running away with the Presidents trophy? In comparison to the Ducks, the Sharks are basically tied in the season series, if you don't count the shootout win, and the Sharks are down by 7 points with two games in hand. The Sharks still have a good shot at winning the pacific.

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Hey let's give him a chance before we start bashing him people. He's just starting his NHL career ..the least you could do is show some support.

He was great in College.

:laugh: I thought you were talking about Vaasa at first.

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Well he definitely gives Marleau some competition for thickest eyebrows on the team but I think Patty still wins this one haha. Other than that I don't know anything about him to be honest so I'll give him a chance.

eriah-hayes.png

patrick-marleau.png

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Hayes was alright tonight. He's like all the other Worcester callups. Fast and hard-working without much/any offense.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
for a completely green call-up and going against the top team in the league, hayes had a great game!

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
for a completely green call-up and going against the top team in the league, hayes had a great game!

Agree. Maybe my TV is off but he looked like a monster out there, boy is pretty big and skated well. Would like to see him again.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Viednesky's biggest issue is that he just can't stay healthy.

Perfect!

You know what they say about jaguars. You need two, one to drive and the other for repairs in the shop. Viednesky can be that second jag for Havlat. Do we have to give him $5mil/yr, or can we just split Havlat's salary?

Sorry, could not resist.

RitzyLunatic

Aug 23, 2013
Porto, Portugal
San Jose Sharks @SanJoseSharks 51s
#SJSharks reassign forward @EJHayes25 to the @WorcesterSharks.

David Pollak @PollakOnSharks 6m
And if you're thinking that means an injured #SJShark coming off IR, you're probably right. Nothing yet, though.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
San Jose Sharks @SanJoseSharks 51s
#SJSharks reassign forward @EJHayes25 to the @WorcesterSharks.

David Pollak @PollakOnSharks 6m
And if you're thinking that means an injured #SJShark coming off IR, you're probably right. Nothing yet, though.

Guess who back? Back again. Guess who's back? Guess who back? Guess who's back?

Cough Burish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad