GWT: EPL Week 32

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The logic is that they are the best team. As they are the best team, they certainly can beat everyone they will be the favorite in every game they are in

Except there's no logic in that at all. Just because they can do it doesn't mean they will or that they are even likely to. They will have to play much more difficult games and be perfect in all of them. The likelihood of that is not good.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I mean between pl/europe they have the same number of goals, Lacazette has 2 more assists but Firmino has created a significant number more chances, their tackles and interceptions are about a wash and Firmino loses the ball less. In terms of pressing and cover it isn't close. Not sure that's 'pissing all over' his stats. I'd still take Firmino though Lacazette is having a good season.

Let's stick to the PL. Laca has played less minutes and has more goals, assists, tackles per game and inteceptions per game.

Like I said he pisses all over Firmino this season.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The logic is that they are the best team. As they are the best team, they certainly can beat everyone they will be the favorite in every game they are in
Pretty much how I feel. City are the best team in the PL so while there is still hope they certainly are in the better position.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Also, to that end, if City were actually the best team they would have a lead right now. They would also have a larger lead than one point after their game in hand. There's no proof that any of these two teams are better than the other considering how the season is going to end.

For the record I do think both teams will drop points. Perhaps multiple times.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I posted this the other day, but LFC is on track to have the 4th most points in a PL season all time. They can finish 2nd place having only one loss. Every time we get an elite LFC team (this has only happened twice in the last ten years) they are up against a juggernaut.

If Liverpool finish 2nd there are other games I look at before the City head to head. It's been a crazy season, I wish I could enjoy it more.
Well, @Edo mentioned in the past how amazing this Man City team can be with Pep in charge. Sure Liverpool has had some injuries like the one to Ox, but remember that City hasn't been playing with de Bruyne for 95% of the season either and that to me is a bigger loss.

Both teams will drop points and have some draws in there, Kane do some damage to City. However, Liverpool might have a game where they're defeated or draw against a bad opponent which has been your downfall the past five or so seasons.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Well, @Edo mentioned in the past how amazing this Man City team can be with Pep in charge. Sure Liverpool has had some injuries like the one to Ox, but remember that City hasn't been playing with de Bruyne for 95% of the season either and that to me is a bigger loss.

Both teams will drop points and have some draws in there, Kane do some damage to City. However, Liverpool might have a game where they're defeated or draw against a bad opponent which has been your downfall the past five or so seasons.

de Bruyne's played 14 games btw. That's obviously better than zero when we're talking about our best midfielder going forward, who obviously isn't as good as de Bruyne but it's still a big loss.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Also, to that end, if City were actually the best team they would have a lead right now. They would also have a larger lead than one point after their game in hand. There's no proof that any of these two teams are better than the other considering how the season is going to end.
I think the proof that City is better in the goal differential. But again, whether it is likely or not, I wouldn't be surprised if City and Liverpool both ran the table

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Let's stick to the PL. Laca has played less minutes and has more goals, assists, tackles per game and inteceptions per game.

Like I said he pisses all over Firmino this season.
Sure if you want to look at a single competition to measure a player.

So again none of those marginal differences 'piss all over' Firmino, especially when you consider their roles and what is expected from them both. It's not like Lacazette is putting up 30 goals (or even 20) where he is supposed to be the primary goal scorer on his team.

Firmino still has a bigger impact on games as a whole for me and I would still definitely prefer him. If he moved back to striker it probably wouldn't be close (see last season).

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

City lost De Bruyne and gave those minutes to Bernardo who has been TOTY. Liverpool lost Chamberlain and has not had anyone near that quality to put in. But that's City.

Why is Tottenham going to hurt City? they are in relegation form.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think the proof that City is better in the goal differential. But again, whether it is likely or not, I wouldn't be surprised if City and Liverpool both ran the table

GD doesn't really mean that either. It means they had some fortunate moments in their games. They had two decent routs against teams with players who got sent off, and Sarri and Hughes both had their team quit on them. One of them got sacked for the pleasure. There's no real control the opposing team has in that scenario other than to score as much as possible, those are free wins. Liverpool may get some of that against Huddersfield and Wolves in the closing weeks, if Wolves beats Watford the conditions will be ripe for it and hopefully they do. We've had some routs as well, but not against teams who hated their manager. That's just bad luck.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
de Bruyne's played 14 games btw. That's obviously better than zero when we're talking about our best midfielder going forward, who obviously isn't as good as de Bruyne but it's still a big loss.

City lost De Bruyne and gave those minutes to Bernardo who has been TOTY. Liverpool lost Chamberlain and has not had anyone near that quality to put in. But that's City.

Why is Tottenham going to hurt City? they are in relegation form.
Spurs are in relegation form, but Kane is still someone to really worry about for any team. he can score two quick ones and then Tottenham can park the bus after that.

Ox is a huge loss, but de Bruyne is just more important because he has a higher talent level. Not sure what happened, but Klopp wasted resources on Fabinho, who is still a fantastic player, but needed more of a creator.That's why I said in my post to Evilo that Liverpool's CM players have let them down more than Firmino has. Again, no one can create a play as good as Aaron Ramsey can for us and Ramsey isn't exactly an amazing player either.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Fabinho is great. Keita has been hurt. They’ve had great assist numbers from their fullbacks so creating is hardly a problem. Of course, I wish Keita played better when not hurt too,

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Fabinho is great. Keita has been hurt. They’ve had great assist numbers from their fullbacks so creating is hardly a problem. Of course, I wish Keita played better when not hurt too,
Made a mistake, I said wasted resources on Fabinho, but I meant to say Keita. He's been a disappointment for me going forward, he was so creative in BuLi that I don't know what happened to him in Liverpool. I wonder if it was Klopp's tactics which told him to play more sound and less risky?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Made a mistake, I said wasted resources on Fabinho, but I meant to say Keita. He's been a disappointment for me going forward, he was so creative in BuLi that I don't know what happened to him in Liverpool. I wonder if it was Klopp's tactics which told him to play more sound and less risky?

He’s just had minor injuries and recovery periods all season. As soon as he comes back, plays a little and has a good game he gets hurt again.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
City would obviously be better if KdB were in the side regularly and healthy (and how many of those 14 apps were sub appearances on one leg), but Bernardo Silva has a solid claim to have been POTY, so it's not as huge as it could've been.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
That doesn't mean they're favored to not drop points. Let's say that they are 75% favorites to win the next 7 EPL games (they aren't, but let's say). Their chances of winning those 7 games at the moment is .75^7, or 13.34%

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I mean between pl/europe they have the same number of goals, Lacazette has 2 more assists but Firmino has created a significant number more chances, their tackles and interceptions are about a wash and Firmino loses the ball less. In terms of pressing and cover it isn't close. Not sure that's 'pissing all over' his stats. I'd still take Firmino though Lacazette is having a good season.
That's pretty bad and you know it.
Laca in the EPL : 13+7 in 2068 minutes. Point every 103 minutes.
Bobby : 12+5 in 2350. Point every 138 minutes.
And Liverpool have had more games and more goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad