EPL - Matchweek 9 (we're back baby!)

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm not a Liverpool fan though I do like them. But fans like yourself really make it easy to wish the worst on these teams. Typical of a fan who latch unto marquee teams.
Yeah tbh some of the stuff said lately has caused me to not participate. The season's going badly because the owners didn't want to put money into the team. That's the end of it and very largely the main reason why to the point it overrides everything else. It's madness to fall short of winning two trophies and not invest in the team but that's what happened. I will repeat. They weren't good enough to win two trophies and decided to do nothing about it. Everyone should stop looking for other things to blame.

Like does everyone understand we have to play twice a week for the rest of the season basically and don't have enough players? Klopp should have been given 100m to buy players, period.

Last edited:

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is farcical.

Not that it was a great game from either side but I'd hardly call a team awful when the MOTM was the opposing goaltender and LOL that they should have lost against Villareal. Not to mention the sheer irony to crap on how they won when there's never been a bigger Find a way to win champion than Real Madrid 2022 and nobody will or should shit on them for it. These are grown men competing against the best of the world. And you're sitting here crying because Liverpool didn't obliterate the competition.

I'm not a Liverpool fan though I do like them. But fans like yourself really make it easy to wish the worst on these teams. Typical of a fan who latch unto marquee teams.
I guess I should just learn to be happier about being in 9th. That's my bad.

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah tbh some of the stuff said lately has caused me to not participate. The season's going badly because the owners didn't want to put money into the team. That's the end of it and very largely the main reason why to the point it overrides everything else. It's madness to fall short of winning two trophies and not invest in the team but that's what happened. I will repeat. They weren't good enough to win two trophies and decided to do nothing about it. Everyone should stop looking for other things to blame.

Like does everyone understand we have to play twice a week for the rest of the season basically and don't have enough players? Klopp should have been given 100m to buy players, period.
They spent a club record fee this past summer. And Klopp doesn't use him.

Arsenal can’t finish Liverpool’s title hopes. They’re already finished. They should be in top four survival mode.

On the general Liverpool talk, they just had a 4 to 5-year window competing at the highest level with the same group of players. That also means opponents have had five years to understand their weaknesses. It’s not sustainable.

Attacking Trent is not a new idea, but this season it’s going extremely badly for Liverpool. None of the right sided CBs have been good enough to bail him out and Van Dijk doesn’t look invincible anymore. I wonder if at some point they bring in a more traditional RB and move Trent to midfield like people have suggested for years but been laughed at. I imagine Trent would be open to it since playing RB for Liverpool looks like it’s costing him his England career.

They need to make some significant change to the way they play.
No, this is farcical. :eyeroll:

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They spent a club record fee this past summer. And Klopp doesn't use him.
He went on international break and played 150 minutes. We have a game in the middle of the week he's needed for. This team needed new players and there was no money to buy any. They made back what they spent. All of a sudden on the last day of the window they loan in some guy, which is a dead giveaway that a team wasn't allowed to spend money.

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He went on international break and played 150 minutes. We have a game in the middle of the week he's needed for. This team needed new players and there was no money to buy any. They made back what they spent. All of a sudden on the last day of the window they loan in some guy, which is a dead giveaway that a team wasn't allowed to spend money.
He was coming off the bench before that.

Klopp has always had this thing where you have to watch for a year and a day before you become a regular and I don't think he should be doing that when we're short quality players and have a lot of games.

I will say that they have almost too many good attackers at this point and no depth elsewhere which isn't the manager's fault.

I'm not saying it's the manager's fault. I just pretty much agree with @Burner Account that there's a lot of staleness here. It's the same old Liverpool for five years just five years older. They need something fresh. I think a big signing would be great.

I'm just saying Darwin is a big signing and a very different look from what we've had. I would like to therefore see him have a role besides coming in the 70-somethingth minute. And like I said, that was the case before Uruguay duty.

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also can they just like make Milner a coach or some other fake job? He deserves it.

I love the guy but he's 36 and looks 76. This level has passed him by quick.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

if this is a Dutch Pep audition he is failing it miserably. Also look how that NEC team did.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
GALLAGHER!!!

What a f***ing goal.

Important 3 pts for Chelsea, especially considering how the match went (e.g T.Silva could have been sent off without much complaint).

Crucial for Potter to make the Top4 this season, and then really rebuild the squad next season. So Chelsea will be basically rebuilding for two seasons in a row. Obviously the midfield needs a revamp after this season. Hopefully the guys going out (Jorginho, Kante if fit etc.) will still give their all for rest of the season after WC and January transfer window.

By summertime, Potter should be able to figure out what he has at his disposal already in the current team and what type of players he needs to add by season's end to have the team play according to his preferred style.

I'm still pretty confident in Top4 finish, just needs a few lucky incidents here and there like today, and not too many players coming off from the WC injured/exhausted. Even if the latter happended, Chelsea should be able to attract a couple of good enough stop cap players for the run-in, knowing they aren't long term solutions.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The worrisome thing to me about Liverpool is that they haven't really played a tough schedule yet. Man United is the only top 6 club they've played and they lost. They did beat a solid Newcastle who should be a top half club. They also have a game in hand due to a postponement so can jump up the table with a win in that game in hand. Buy they only drew newly promoted Fulham and a not so great Palace, Brighton is a normal win but a draw with how both teams are playing is a good result. Arsenal, City and West Ham coming up will tell you if top 4 is a gonna be a lot tougher or not.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The worrisome thing to me about Liverpool is that they haven't really played a tough schedule yet. Man United is the only top 6 club they've played and they lost. They did beat a solid Newcastle who should be a top half club. They also have a game in hand due to a postponement so can jump up the table with a win in that game in hand. Buy they only drew newly promoted Fulham and a not so great Palace, Brighton is a normal win but a draw with how both teams are playing is a good result. Arsenal, City and West Ham coming up will tell you if top 4 is a gonna be a lot tougher or not.
Did Magic Johnson write this post? Holy shit

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
@JeffreyLFC has recently and suggesting that Klopp should get tossed would effectively be the beginning of a tear down.
I disagree. I would not back LFC to let Klopp go. He is not the problem.

My suggestion was to get 8 new players in and let the same number out if not more. With potentially including TAA (or at the very least find a proper challenger for his position).

My suggestion was to let go: Milner, Ox, Keita, Jones, TAA(potentially or get a proper backup), Firmino, Henderson(if any taker), Adrian and potentially Salah.

And replace them with young players starting their peak (between age of 20-25). The team has no energy and are out runned every single game now.

Keep the core of VVD, Fabinho, Alisson and yes, Klopp.

Target the likes of Mac Allister, Enzo Fernandez, Koné, Laimer, João Gomes, Matheus Nunes, Ramsey, Caicedo, Alcatraz. Forget Bellingham (who was always an overpriced pipe dream) for midfield. LFC need fast paced, high energy, aggressive player.

Last edited:

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
4 points back with 31 games to play is “survival mode”

Quality HF stuff
Why not @ me?

It seems like you looked past my rationale and just saw an easy “dunk” based on the table.

Sure, mathematically Liverpool could challenge for the title. But they’re not playing like title challengers and you don’t need to watch every minute to see that.

I don’t expect you to have watched all of their games just like I haven’t watched all of United’s, but after watching them thus far it seems like top four is the best possible outcome. Do you disagree?

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It's honestly incredible to me that NA born fans (who are all fans of other teams in other leagues in other sports where European football dominance is essentially non-existent) can still act like European fans of big clubs who have never known anything else. Says a lot about humans in general, to be honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad