GWT: EPL - Matchweek 8 (Technically)

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Some of these games will happen. Some won't. Let's hope Charles lives forever or else dies in the summer.

Anyway, Liverpool gets more recovery time, new managers get more time with their squad, we possibly get a London derby, and we get a match up of teams often found from 5-10 in the table but who are currently relegation fodder.
HomeAwayTime and Date (CDT)Venue
Aston VillaSouthamptonFri., Sept. 16, 2:00 PMVilla Park
Nottingham ForestFulhamFri., Sept. 16, 2:00 PMCity Ground
WolverhamptonManchester CitySat., Sept. 17, 6:30 AMThe Molineux
Brighton & Hove AlbionCrystal PalacePPDThe Amex
Newcastle UnitedBournemouthSat., Sept. 17, 9:00 AMSt. James's Park
Tottenham HotspurLeicester CitySat., Sept. 17, 11:30 AMWhite Hart Lane
BrentfordArsenalSun., Sept. 18, 6:00 AMGtech Community Stadium
Manchester UnitedLeeds UnitedPPDOld Trafford
EvertonWest Ham UnitedSun., Sept. 18. 8:15 AMGoodison Park
ChelseaLiverpoolPPDStamford Bridge

Reactions: maclean

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I saw the Brighton one was canceled, isn't Brighton like 2 hours away from London? What's the reason behind that one?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Potter basically gets to implement his full system in training, should be interesting for Chelsea’s next game.

gnr2525

Aug 25, 2022
I find it strange that on Wednesday night, the police are able to handle 2 matches in London and 2 matches near London but cannot handle 1 match @ Arsenal on Thursday.

Wednesday
@ Chelsea
@ Millwall
@ Luton
@ Reading

Saturday
@ Tottenham
@ Millwall
@ QPR
@ Luton
Plus some lower leagues as well.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Do they use off duty police over there? A lot of sporting events here use off duty officers that they pay extra to work the events. There's still on duty officers around but you don't have to utilize your entire force on these events. Unless all off duty are forced to be working the next week till after the funeral is over?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
after playing Ajax tomorrow, Liverpool do not have another game until October 1st.

LFC will finish September minus -9 points compared to their fixtures last year. A ton of work for them to do, and not a lot of easy answers.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I find it strange that on Wednesday night, the police are able to handle 2 matches in London and 2 matches near London but cannot handle 1 match @ Arsenal on Thursday.

You just don't understand England maaan

If you ask me, people should be allowed to get a little rowdy when a 70-year monarch dies

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I saw the Brighton one was canceled, isn't Brighton like 2 hours away from London? What's the reason behind that one?

Brighton & Palace are unlikely rivals, with a long history of trouble, so it's probably a Category A game requiring extra policing. This was the excuse give for cancelling United v Leeds when most London games are going ahead

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

Brighton & Palace are unlikely rivals, with a long history of trouble, so it's probably a Category A game requiring extra policing. This was the excuse give for cancelling United v Leeds when most London games are going ahead
The derby was canceled a week or so before the Queen passed away. It's due to the strike on the rail lines, the clubs were worried fans would not be able to make it to one of the biggest games on the calendar.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The derby was canceled a week or so before the Queen passed away. It's due to the strike on the rail lines, the clubs were worried fans would not be able to make it to one of the biggest games on the calendar.
So postponing it indefinitely is better?
Don't they usually postpone matches with the new date already known or am I misremembering?

after playing Ajax tomorrow, Liverpool do not have another game until October 1st.

LFC will finish September minus -9 points compared to their fixtures last year. A ton of work for them to do, and not a lot of easy answers.
They are going to need the rest after the schlacking they get from ajax.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Don't they usually postpone matches with the new date already known or am I misremembering?

They are going to need the rest after the schlacking they get from ajax.
They are going to need more than rest. Maybe they want to do the usual Sevilla route to UCL and qualify via Europa League this year. If they don’t beat Ajax today it will be very telling.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Probably worth it if there is a worry your fans won't make the game.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Probably worth it if there is a worry your fans won't make the game.
Schedules usually open up towards the end of the season... if they don't make runs in their inter-league, that is.
They have a few 'kinda soon' open spots in their schedule 6-13 oct or 5-12 nov.... ***I think...

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

The rail strike has been cancelled now, the unions were worried about the bad publicity - sorry, wanted to show their respects.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
Gerrard is ridiculously stubborn with making midfield mistakes. McGinn/Ramsay doesn’t work yet he keeps going back to it.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Only caught the second half, but Southampton were as bad as you’ll see a PL team. The second they got the ball they were trying to find the easiest way to give it back. Villa weren’t much better frankly.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Was hoping Nottingham Forest would get a point out of it but Fulham deserved the full three.
Looks like Fulham have a real chance of staying up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad