GWT: EPL - Matchweek 6

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Palmer looks a class above some of the other Chelsea attackers but Caicedo has looked really mediocre, not even top 10 CM in the league level imo and both Macallist and Szbzbz have looked more influential. Poch should get at least 10 games but I still maintain they would've been better off just hiring Emma Hayes than these other frauds.

Also Spurs looked really good considering how much Arsenal usually dominate the ball. Their game went to shite when Son/Maddison came off, Richarlison is not good enough at build/hold-up play to be a part of that style but they can be proud and actually believe in a Champions League spot at this point barring injuries cos their depth isn't good.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Not sure why several folks think Spurs deserved more than a draw today. Both of their goals came from Arsenal's defensive mishaps (Arsenal's goals were too) and they didn't create a whole lot of chances. I don't think either team deserved more than the draw.

Arsenal just looked uncomfortable at times today, and especially once Rice went off at halftime.

Arsenal couldn’t get a win over a team that has one WC player…
You're talking about Son, right? He had a good game today. That Cuti guy, not so much.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Great track.

Darwin goal was filth. This will be his season.

Had a client in the other day and he’s from Liverpool. I think his family even have some brick or something they donated years ago at Anfield. Anyway, I told him to have patience with Nunez. Interesting side note, when I asked about Salah he said he’d have bitten the Saudis’ arm off. Another interesting side note, he said we had a player he liked. When I asked who he said… Joao Felix.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Had a client in the other day and he’s from Liverpool. I think his family even have some brick or something they donated years ago at Anfield. Anyway, I told him to have patience with Nunez. Interesting side note, when I asked about Salah he said he’d have bitten the Saudis’ arm off. Another interesting side note, he said we had a player he liked. When I asked who he said… Joao Felix.
Nobody ever said we were smart

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Not sure why several folks think Spurs deserved more than a draw today. Both of their goals came from Arsenal's defensive mishaps (Arsenal's goals were too) and they didn't create a whole lot of chances. I don't think either team deserved more than the draw.
I mean if Nketiah got the red he deserved it would have been a completely different game.

Raya also had to make a worldie of a save.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Not sure why several folks think Spurs deserved more than a draw today. Both of their goals came from Arsenal's defensive mishaps (Arsenal's goals were too)

Both of Spurs goals were through open play while 1 Arsenal goal was an own goal and the other was from a handball. I know goals count the same, but I always tend to think that open play goals are more “earned” than a bad bounce or referee decision.

Reactions: Evilo

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I mean if Nketiah got the red he deserved it would have been a completely different game.

Raya also had to make a worldie of a save.
Nketiah probably deserved a red card.

And yes, Spurs other great chance got saved. But Arsenal also could have scored from both of Jesus's chances earlier in the game, but one got saved and one was slightly off target. I don't have the xG figures from each of those chances, but the one that Raya saved wasn't a far better chance than those two.

Both teams played well at times, but overall it was a sloppy game. I don't think either deserved 3 points.

Both of Spurs goals were through open play while 1 Arsenal goal was an own goal and the other was from a handball. I know goals count the same, but I always tend to think that open play goals are more “earned” than a bad bounce or referee decision.
I already responded in the other thread, but calling them open play vs own goal/handball is just cherrypicking the context of the game. Saka's goal was from open play too even though it was a deflection. It was just as much open play as Jorginho gifting Spurs the second goal.

None of the goals came from particularly great play by the scoring team, but rather came from defensive errors.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
And yes, Spurs other great chance got saved. But Arsenal also could have scored from both of Jesus's chances earlier in the game, but one got saved and one was slightly off target. I don't have the xG figures from each of those chances, but the one that Raya saved wasn't a far better chance than those two.
@Paulie Gualtieri - I was curious and found some xG stats per each chance after posting.

13' Jesus - 0.05 xG. Pretty low xG, but Jesus took it well and it required a decent save.
31' Jesus - 0.39 xG. This is the one where he dispossessed Madison and shot over the net.
37' Johnson - 0.43 xG. Good chance, but Johnson's finish was poor allowing for the great save.

And aside from the above (and the goals), the next best chance by xG was the Nketiah one the came off the poor back pass, which was saved (0.31 xG).

Last edited:

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Arteta is such a chump for doing stuff like this:

Absolutely not his first incident outside of the technical area either. Just look at this embarrassing altercation with Hojbjerg:

Spurs have a coach standing in the exact same spot between his technical area and the touchline in that older clip.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Was worried about this match with the first CL MW. Injuries and exhaustion showed in the mistakes we made. Oh well, onto the next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad