GWT: EPL - Matchweek 5

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I thought you were anti-aggregator for news?
All the more reason to point it out for being BS if that’s the case

A conversation says nothing about Marina determining he "wasn't ready". Does Liverpool not have scouts, data analysts, coaches, etc. and lets their business department make player evaluations or something? You don't seem to grasp how this works.
I mean Liverpool’s Director calls those shots. Wasn’t Marina Chelsea’s director?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I mean Liverpool’s Director calls those shots. Wasn’t Marina Chelsea’s director?
Yes, and the club has been very clear over the years that she ran the off-field business operations. That included making transfer deals, but she wasn't picking the players as she isn't a football person she's a business person. A big criticism of Chelsea by the fans over the years is that they don't have a Director of Football, so there's no steady strategy on players, tactics, etc. and they just buy/sell based on the current manager and scout opinions.

That is all much more complicated than extrapolating some bullshit from a 1 sentence headline though.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
All the more reason to point it out for being BS if that’s the case

And yet here you are making a somewhat ignorant claim based of something you don’t believe in getting information from.

Reactions: Blender

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yes, and the club has been very clear over the years that she ran the off-field business operations. That included making transfer deals, but she wasn't picking the players as she isn't a football person she's a business person. A big criticism of Chelsea by the fans over the years is that they don't have a Director of Football, so there's no steady strategy on players, tactics, etc. and they just buy/sell based on the current manager and scout opinions.

That is all much more complicated than extrapolating some bullshit from a 1 sentence headline though.

Seemed like she had final say on certain players to me. Feels like Director should have final say. Obviously not as plugged in as you but from what I’ve seen, that’s pretty consistent.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Fulham looking strong. Still no Wilson, Solomon, or Kluivert, we might be comfortably out of a relegation dogfight.

Amazing what Mitro can do with even half decent service.

Scott Parker getting sacked makes me happy. What a arrogant wanker.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Tuchel needs to really get creative here.

We’ll lose again on the weekend if he trots out Jorginho - Gallagher as the pivot. He can’t start Kovacic. Next up after is Carney and Billy Gilmour. Jesus.

Reactions: Blender

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
what in the f*** is tuchel's obsession with that god awful 5-3-2 formation? dude has galaxy brained himself into playing ppl out of position to stick with the worst formation in football.

A 3-5-2 is a great formation if you have the right personnel & club spirit; something like:

Jordan - Becker
Gießelmann - Haraguchi - Haberer/Thorbsy - Ryersen
Khedira
Leite - Knoche - Doekhi
Rönnow​

would be pretty damn beastly :D

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
So there was no conversation last year on August 20? As your boy is posting about? Was that made up?
There can be a conversation without marina making the decision.
M: Hi Thomas. We inquired about Tchouameni. It will cost 40M to buy him. Do you think he’s ready for that amount of money?
T: no. At this point he’s not a good enough footballer.

This isn’t rocket science.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Absolutely over the moon with that result. Well deserved three points for the Saints tonight.

Love what we are building here. Special young talent.

Hoping for a marquee signing over the next two days.

COYS!

How is ABK settling in? The ManU fans had good things to say about him on the weekend and the kid has all the talent in the world, but I have yet to watch him in England myself.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
How is ABK settling in? The ManU fans had good things to say about him on the weekend and the kid has all the talent in the world, but I have yet to watch him in England myself.
He was good in that game... looked like a fun defender to watch.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He was good in that game... looked like a fun defender to watch.

I've really enjoyed watching him the past two years for Bochum. Easily the biggest talent they've had since Goretzka.

He struggled to track attackers in a crowd during the early stages of last season, but once things started to slow down for him at the 1st division level, he got back into the starting lineup for them & played a key part in avoiding relegation.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
So which one of you is giving me my ABK update this week?

I only watched the highlights, so no more than you might have seen yourself, but he looked very good, at least one clear goal that he was solely responsible for shutting down with his positioning and a clean tackle, is what stood out in my mind

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There can be a conversation without marina making the decision.
M: Hi Thomas. We inquired about Tchouameni. It will cost 40M to buy him. Do you think he’s ready for that amount of money?
T: no. At this point he’s not a good enough footballer.

This isn’t rocket science.
the manager isn’t overruling the director on that. Absolutely not Einstein. If anything the roles would have been reversed.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
A 3-5-2 is a great formation if you have the right personnel & club spirit; something like:

Jordan - Becker
Gießelmann - Haraguchi - Haberer/Thorbsy - Ryersen
Khedira
Leite - Knoche - Doekhi
Rönnow​

would be pretty damn beastly :D
352 is awful.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So which one of you is giving me my ABK update this week?
I only watched the second half but he was really good. Dude is the real deal. He made a few well timed tackles and headers. He also got a dirty elbow into the back of his head from Cucurella which I’m still surprised how he wasn’t sent off for it. Stayed down for a while after too. Finished the game though so should be fine. Only negative that I saw (granted I was mostly only half paying attention because I was working at the same time) but Sterling had pulled out to the left a bit (Southampton’s right) and KWP stepped to meet him. Sterling got past him and ABK should have been there but was marking the same guy as Salisu. Reason why I point out this play specifically is because I saw it happen a few times with less obvious results. His positioning and spacing is a little strange at times. That should get worked out as he gets more experience and he has the athleticism to make up for it from what I’ve seen but just something that I’ve noticed from the limited action I’ve seen.

Reactions: cgf and Peen

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Working from home for the rest of the day, a man has to have his priorities straight.
WFH today as well

Recently went back to IPTV because f*** Fubo and DAZN (actually. f*** how footy rights are spread over different serices and keep moving without notice)

Just wondering if I'm gonna watch the games on Sky Sports, BT Sports, Canal+, Bein Sports, etc

What a nice problem to have :)

Reactions: maclean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad