GWT: EPL - Matchweek 4

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Only one team is perfect, the treble winners. Meanwhile, four teams are winless, with Everton yet to score. Maybe that changes this week, when they travel to Sheffield to face the blades. In other highlights, we see our first look at Kenilworth Road, we get an interesting matchup between two teams coming off disappointing weekends, with Newcastle traveling to the south coast to take on Brighton. But the star of the week, in terms of names at least, is Arsenal hosting United.

HomeAwayTime and Date (CT)Venue
Luton TownWest Ham UnitedFri., Sep. 1, 2:00 PMKenilworth Road
Sheffield UnitedEvertonSat., Sep. 2, 6:30 AMBramall Lane
Manchester CityFulhamSat., Sep. 2, 9:00 AMThe Etihad
ChelseaNottingham ForestSat., Sep. 2, 9:00 AMStamford Bridge
BurnleyTottenham HotspurSat., Sep. 2, 9:00 AMTurf Moor
BrentfordBournemouthSat., Sep. 2, 9:00 AMGtech Community Stadium
Brighton & Hove AlbionNewcastle UnitedSat., Sep. 2, 11:30 AMThe AmEx
Crystal PalaceWolverhampton WanderersSun., Sep. 3, 8:00 AMSelhurst Park
LiverpoolAston VillaSun., Sep. 3, 8:00 AMAnfield
ArsenalManchester UnitedSun., Sep. 3, 10:30 AMThe Emirates

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
So what does this board make of Sancho at this stage?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

I think he needs a legit #9 to work with to be most effective. United haven't had that since he arrived. He was at his best working with Haaland, they played off each other really well. So I think both parties are to blame for his performance so far. United for buying someone who you don't have the proper pieces around to help him excel and Sancho for not adapting his game to work without a 9. Maybe the new striker and him can form a partnership but Sancho isn't even first choice so won't get as many chances to prove it.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Reading a bit about Kenilworth Road before the match on Friday, I didn’t realize it won’t even be the smallest PL ground. Bournemouth’s stadium only holds 11k currently.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

He had some personal time off last season so it wasn’t really a “normal” year under a new manager. I thought he looked really good in preseason. At least from a fitness, quickness, etc standpoint.

I don’t think this roster sets up very well for him. He’s not at his best isolated on the wing taking fullbacks on. I’d love to see him get a run floating but with Bruno you can’t really let both that. Idk.

I’d love to see Rashford-Højlund-Sancho as soon as he’s fit.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
VVD being suspended for this game makes me think that the Pool/Villa game could end 3-3 and be a very back and forth one.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
With how Villa are playing so far this season, I would expect them to have a good shot at 3 points.
Being at Anfield will help, but Villa is a bad bad matchup for them. Diaby going to make mincemeat out of them

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Their manager also knows how to get results. I think they're a real shot to end up in the top 4. Injuries could be an issue going forward, but they have a lot of talent.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Why do they keep putting newly promoted teams on the Friday game? This is gonna be the fourth week in a row I think.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Their manager also knows how to get results. I think they're a real shot to end up in the top 4. Injuries could be an issue going forward, but they have a lot of talent.
In a lot of ways I think in the long run AV losing 4-0 in MW1 will be very good for them and very bad for Newcastle

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think he needs a legit #9 to work with to be most effective. United haven't had that since he arrived. He was at his best working with Haaland, they played off each other really well. So I think both parties are to blame for his performance so far. United for buying someone who you don't have the proper pieces around to help him excel and Sancho for not adapting his game to work without a 9. Maybe the new striker and him can form a partnership but Sancho isn't even first choice so won't get as many chances to prove it.
He was at his best without Haaland.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Screw ‘Pool but it does make me kinda happy to see Nunez play well and take a game by storm

The guy’s wicked good but gets so much shit because he’s not Haaland
I have watched him for a full season now and he is the weirdest player to asses. He has world class qualities but he is also not conventional. Fast, strong, top movement, can score amazing goals from long range, to trick shots, to header (Drogba'esque). Not a clinical finisher, he like using power to all his shots and rarely go with the chip shot or the placed curled shots. With the ball at his feet he is average though, not a fluid dribbler and altough he can create chances his passes are usually behind the player or make in a rush and not precise. He is called captain Chaos by LFC supporters because he is unpredictable, in a good or terrible way depending of the day.

I do think he is the complete opposite of the false nine option. He should not be involved in the build up and he should be used as the guy in the box or running behind the defenders, few players can keep up with his speed.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
His best year was the first year Haaland got there. He was very good the year before that too but he still had a decent 9 in Alcacer to work with.
Sancho had 12+18 without Haaland in 18-19.
Then he had 17+17 in 19-20 with 4 months of Haaland.
Then he had 8+12 with Haaland for a full season in 20-21.

I think it's very easy to see Haaland was not the reason Sancho performed. Nor the other way around for that matter.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Ref crew that blew the Onana call MW1 is back this week at Anfield. Keep ‘em coming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad