GWT: EPL - Matchweek 36 (Ft. MW 25)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Brighton - Union in the CL is going to be so much fun :yo:
Doesn't Bloom own both? How are they both able to play in Europe if that's the case? I read that if Radcliffe buys Manchester then Nice wouldn't be able to play in Europe.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The beginning of February? You mean with half the season left and with over three months left? With two matches left to play against City? If you expected Arsenal to win the league from that point on, or any point on really, then that’s on you. Yes, they could and probably should have done better in some fixtures, but they lost to City twice during that stretch, which should be expected, and so there’s six of your eight points. Then you’ve got the key injuries during that run. And no, Arsenal wouldn’t have needed 99 points to win. In the end they probably would have only needed 95 points to win.
“Only 95 points”

:)

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Love that @Savant is in here taking a victory lap on Arsenal fans while his entire shtick 3 months ago was that City sucked this year and record goal scorer Haaland made them a worse team.

• Haha
Reactions: S E P H

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Love that @Savant is in here taking a victory lap on Arsenal fans while his entire shtick 3 months ago was that City sucked this year and record goal scorer Haaland made them a worse team.
They aren’t as good as previous seasons. There’s nothing wrong with that statement. If they aren’t better than previous seasons, then they are…..(fill in the blank). This is probably Peps 3rd or 4th best City team. At best.

How rent free do I need to be in your head to keep at’ing me about this. Arsenal had a good team, not a great team. Arsenal have been worse in the second half than LFC have. That’s not a compliment. You have you best season in decades and you won diddly-poo. The only victory lap I am taking is the absurd take that this Arsenal team was anywhere near any of LFC’s second place teams and that’s certainly been proven. That your pace numbers and stick it on your refrigerator. I’m not listening to the “well, actually” garbage. I said months ago that it’s a different animal going 38 games with City. Yall brushed it off and here we are today, with your captain waiving the white flag. I’m good

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
They aren’t as good as previous seasons. There’s nothing wrong with that statement. If they aren’t better than previous seasons, then they are…..(fill in the blank). This is probably Peps 3rd or 4th best City team. At best.

How rent free do I need to be in your head to keep at’ing me about this. Arsenal had a good team, not a great team. Arsenal have been worse in the second half than LFC have. That’s not a compliment. You have you best season in decades and you won diddly-poo. The only victory lap I am taking is the absurd take that this Arsenal team was anywhere near any of LFC’s second place teams and that’s certainly been proven. That your pace numbers and stick it on your refrigerator. I’m not listening to the “well, actually” garbage. I said months ago that it’s a different animal going 38 games with City. Yall brushed it off and here we are today, with your captain waiving the white flag. I’m good
1) Arsenal fans weren't saying that winning the title was in the bag for us months ago. We said that both Arsenal and City were strong teams and used stats to back it up.

2) Absent a Saliba injury, this team is competitive with Liverpool's 2nd place teams. To say they were not "anywhere near" them is laughable.

The rest of your post is just classic Savant.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
1) Arsenal fans weren't saying that winning the title was in the bag for us months ago. We said that both Arsenal and City were strong teams and used stats to back it up.

2) Absent a Saliba injury, this team is competitive with Liverpool's 2nd place teams. To say they were not "anywhere near" them is laughable.

The rest of your post is just classic Savant.
They aren’t near. You talked about pace and points mattering. No one is going to give a shit Saliba got hurt. Every team has injuries. Arsenal couldn’t deal. I didn’t say Arsenal was weak. They just proved they weren’t a great team. If you don’t get 90 points you don’t get to compare yourself to those LFC teams. Sorry.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The only thing better than Liverpool finishing 5th, is their fans trying to talk shit whilst they finish 5th.

Okay let's make things clear here. Not a single person here said this Liverpool was a great team. Nobody here is telling you how good Liverpool is, there's nothing really being set up here as a reason to talk about Liverpool. Nobody's defending Liverpool's honor telling you how good this team is. For months we have been hearing about how great Arsenal's team is and they won poop. It is f***ing hilarious let me tell you. Everyone thinks it's funny and I'm speaking for way more people than just myself.

After months of hearing about how this sorry team is better than the Liverpool team that actually won stuff, you bet your ass people are going to talk. I read it for a while and you can't blame people for laughing now. The Liverpool team that won the league had the best start to any season in the history of the game. This Arsenal team doesn't measure up, but people only bring that up because the comparison was made by Arsenal fans.

It's a miracle nobody said anything after Arsenal lost to Sporting after all the bullshit we were hearing. It was sitting there like a grenade that nobody wanted to throw. Great teams don't drop out of Europe to Sporting. You could see this collapse coming when that happened. Arsenal had a good run, probably a miracle run, but not a great team. Nobody wants City to win the league again but it's hilarious that Arsenal lost. That's what some people deserved. If anything people have been pretty copacetic over it and not piling on as much as they could be. Perhaps people have better things to do.

Finishing fifth is fine with me btw. After the team won everything I can live with the team being fifth one year. It's a lot harder to live with never winning. Everyone can post those Gerrard slips all they want but a lot of these teams haven't won since Gerrard slipped and they've been pathetic ever since so it's a lot worse for them.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The only thing better than Liverpool finishing 5th, is their fans trying to talk shit whilst they finish 5th.

The last time Arsenal won the title you literally couldn't watch all their matches live. That's a lot funnier than most stuff. On the bright side at least you could watch them lose the title this time

Reactions: Chimaera

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
The beginning of February? You mean with half the season left and with over three months left? With two matches left to play against City? If you expected Arsenal to win the league from that point on, or any point on really, then that’s on you. Yes, they could and probably should have done better in some fixtures, but they lost to City twice during that stretch, which should be expected, and so there’s six of your eight points. Then you’ve got the key injuries during that run. And no, Arsenal wouldn’t have needed 99 points to win. In the end they probably would have only needed 95 points to win.

I'd just like to point out that the first game against City, when they were still mortal and we were rolling, was postponed because of the stupid "mourning period" (can't risk people having fun). Don't get me wrong, even though I believe we could've beat them then, we probably still would've fumbled it with our injuries and lack of depth, but I'm still salty about it and who knows, maybe that psychological boost of having put one of those games away would've put that extra fire in us down the stretch.

The last time Arsenal won the title you literally couldn't watch all their matches live. That's a lot funnier than most stuff. On the bright side at least you could watch them lose the title this time

Al secord is not an arsenal fan though

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Liverpool fans are also comparing their clubs greatest 4-5 year stretch to a single season of Arsenal's young team. Acting like Arsenal's U25 core aren't going to be around the next few years. The lengths that they're going thru to gate keep their 2nd place team being the greatest 2nd place team is "so insecure" as Savant would say.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool fans are also comparing their clubs greatest 4-5 year stretch to a single season of Arsenal's young team. Acting like Arsenal's U25 core aren't going to be around the next few years. The lengths that they're going thru to gate keep their 2nd place team being the greatest 2nd place team is "so insecure" as Savant would say.
You at’ed me and started this conversation out of the blue. I’m just responding. If it’s gatekeeping to factually say that you need to get over 90 points, yeah I guess so? I’m not the one who made those comparisons, I just talked about how silly they were. Proof is in the pudding

Nothing is guaranteed. Don’t be so sure you get another chance like this. Next year is going to be a lot tougher and we have no idea idea how Arsenal handles a UCL campaign. But I’m not talking about this today.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Nothing is guaranteed. Don’t be so sure you get another chance like this. Next year is going to be a lot tougher and we have no idea idea how Arsenal handles a UCL campaign. But I’m not talking about this today.
Agreed. And I really like Arsenal and want them to succeed. They will need a good summer and good investments because as we've seen City's depth is immense, and for Arsenal it will only get tougher with UCL campaign

Reactions: maclean

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
You can tell by how big of a victory lap they’re taking that they were genuinely worried. Came down to us having several key injuries and them having basically none that season. Must be nice.

Reactions: KJS14

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
You at’ed me and started this conversation out of the blue. I’m just responding. If it’s gatekeeping to factually say that you need to get over 90 points, yeah I guess so? I’m not the one who made those comparisons, I just talked about how silly they were. Proof is in the pudding

You were already talking about Arsenal and this 90 point threshold before I even entered the conversation lol.

Anyways, if I was you I wouldn't want to have to keep this conversation going either. Yeah, you can keep saying Arsenal bottled it (they did) to think you've won an argument, but going from "City sucks, weak league, not a real title if they win, Arsenal fans so insecure" to "well now another team knows how it feels when City goes on a perfect run to end the season, they weren't good" was all-time Savant flip flopping.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Agreed. And I really like Arsenal and want them to succeed. They will need a good summer and good investments because as we've seen City's depth is immense, and for Arsenal it will only get tougher with UCL campaign

Certainly, though Savant's point was more that - City's undying perseverance aside - we can expect improvement from a great number of teams with aspirations, from the traditional ones that had bad seasons to the ones currently on the rise

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
You can tell by how big of a victory lap they’re taking that they were genuinely worried. Came down to us having several key injuries and them having basically none that season. Must be nice.
Exactly. Those Liverpool teams had every player in their prime and healthy for multiple seasons. It got to the point that we all kept saying "Liverpool can't really do this again and not buy depth, right?"

A young and injured Arsenal team fell apart in the last 8 weeks of the season to lose to City with the league's all-time record goal scorer (but he's not good btw), and Liverpool fans are in here gloating like they won the league again themselves.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Exactly. Those Liverpool teams had every player in their prime and healthy for multiple seasons. It got to the point that we all kept saying "Liverpool can't really do this again and not buy depth, right?"

A young and injured Arsenal team fell apart in the last 8 weeks of the season to lose to City with the league's all-time record goal scorer (but he's not good btw), and Liverpool fans are in here gloating like they won the league again themselves.
Probably only going to score like 20 goals and I think Darwin Nunez is better.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I can't watch AFTV, so many people think we didn't bottle it because City are a better team. I mean there is nothing wrong with saying that Man City are a better team and won because their squad depth was better. Also, it was no coincidence for me that the season was lost when Saliba went down to injury. However, a Saliba-less Arsenal should still be beating West Ham when you have the lead, beating Southampton (home and away with one of them when Saliba was healthy), and not getting destroyed at home by Brighton. Those are the very minimum that should be asked of your squad even in the presence of a major injury. That still might have not been enough to win the title but gave yourself a better chance than the whimper I've seen for the past month and a half from this team.

I also think Arsenal screwed the pooch by not spending more in winter to comfort any potential injury since FA, Europa, and EPL games were going into crunch mode. This is more of a failure of the season since we were knocked out of all the tournaments we were in @maclean . Before the season I thought Arsenal could've made the top 4 and at least the final 4 in Europa. It is a success due to making CL football, but still a failure with everything else (25:75 ratio).
“Punching above weight” I was told repeatedly how this team was better or equal to the LFC teams that went over 90 points many times this season because of how Arsenal was pacing. So much for that
I will happily oblige if you want to turn this into a "dick-measuring" contest. Arsenal is about to reach around that threshold and I would mention that I thought Liverpool had a better team on paper at this point (definitely better squad depth). With more proper buys, Arsenal could potentially become greater than LFC.

Last edited:
Reactions: maclean

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Every team goes through it, LFC was in a 20-30 year drought before winning the EPL and CL and Napoli just went through a 30-year drought themselves. Again, this is a failure of a season, but it happens and a large part is Wenger not retiring sooner.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Popping in here for 20 minutes to say something isn't a big victory lap but you took a victory lap months ago. Also you show that you don't really know anything about anything. Matip was hurt all year, Alisson for months, Gomez missed the whole season, Fabinho was out for months, so was Henderson. That's why it was crazy the team was winning so much.

The stuff you say at this point I'm not sure if you're clueless or if you just argue in bad faith about literally everything because you're a troll. Just a month or so ago Arsenal fans were getting really mad whenever someone pointed out they hadn't suffered many key injuries compared to teams that were struggling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad