GWT: EPL - Matchweek 34 (ft. MW 29)

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This LFC team is so fragile mentally and so frustrating to watch.
You know I don’t think it’s that. It’s all very sloppy, but something I’ve really noticed is that the phase one buildup/playing out of the back has completely deteriorated. Everyone treating the ball like a grenade now.

Some thoughts on this - Klopp always prefers aerially dominant CBs; but it’s hard to find aerially dominant CBs that are good on the ball. We just aren’t moving the ball well and when we try we rush it and make unforced errors. The unforced errors are what are killing us. I wonder if the next manager sacrifices some aerially dominance to get another ball playing CB, maybe a lefty, in there; especially if they want to go back 3

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I'd love to see replays of the penalty shouts, but a quick google doesn't turn up anything yet.
Ashley Young’s handball was similar enough to AWB’s that consistent reffing/VAR either has both as a penalty or neither

The Reyna one - he went down easy that one isn’t a big deal

Young pulling down Hudson-Odoi - wasn’t called live because the ref said ‘he got ball’ which he did not and VAR called it a ‘tussle’ which is quite a generous interpretation

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Ashley Young’s handball was similar enough to AWB’s that consistent reffing/VAR either has both as a penalty or neither

The Reyna one - he went down easy that one isn’t a big deal

Young pulling down Hudson-Odoi - wasn’t called live because the ref said ‘he got ball’ which he did not and VAR called it a ‘tussle’ which is quite a generous interpretation
The last ones are the ones that infuriate me the most. If the referee felt it wasn't a foul because he got the ball, then he's made a clear and obvious factual error and should be sent to the monitor. If he then feels it isn't a penalty, fine that's his choice, but when he gets something objectively wrong, they should give him a chance to correct it.

Instead they've taken the VAR job as meaning the only way you can send him to the monitor is if the final call (pen vs no pen) is a clear and obvious error. Basically if there is any possible way to justify the call the ref made, even if it's not the reason he made the decision live, VAR is gonna stick with his "call" which is beyond stupid.

Reactions: GeoRox89

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yo okay Ryan Gravenberch! Where did that come from? 2-1.

Harvey Elliott great interception and then got Gravenberch the ball

Reactions: gary69

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
All the tools. Not sure he puts it together but could be some player
He’s had a couple of sliding doors moments this season too. He needs a full preseason but not sure the manager change helps him out. Will have to see; don’t think he can play anything but 433. That was a big finish for him though. He’s still a project, but who knows if the new regime will rate him or not

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Yo okay Ryan Gravenberch! Where did that come from? 2-1.

Harvey Elliott great interception and then got Gravenberch the ball
Not surprising if you have followed him for a while. Very good dribbler and shooter of the ball only very right footed and VERY inconsistent.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not surprising if you have followed him for a while. Very good dribbler and shooter of the ball only very right footed and VERY inconsistent.
He needs minutes. Not sure he is going to get them here. New manager means it can go either way

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
The last ones are the ones that infuriate me the most. If the referee felt it wasn't a foul because he got the ball, then he's made a clear and obvious factual error and should be sent to the monitor. If he then feels it isn't a penalty, fine that's his choice, but when he gets something objectively wrong, they should give him a chance to correct it.

Instead they've taken the VAR job as meaning the only way you can send him to the monitor is if the final call (pen vs no pen) is a clear and obvious error. Basically if there is any possible way to justify the call the ref made, even if it's not the reason he made the decision live, VAR is gonna stick with his "call" which is beyond stupid.

In a way, part of that is that refs feel obliged to change their call if they're sent to the monitor. And I realise it's a vicious circle, but have we ever seen a ref go to the monitor and be like, yeah, no, I'm sticking with my call.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It’s good for Arsenal that they got to play the league on easy mode this season

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

Should be noted, given Forest's leaning into "Luton fan Stuart Atwell," that The Athletic has reported that:
Mark Clattenburg, the former Premier League official who was appointed in an advisory role by the club in February, had a conversation with PGMOL chief Howard Webb on Friday during which the subject of Attwell’s appointment was raised. However, The Athletic has been told by PGMOL that there was no direct request for him to be taken off the game and Clattenburg did not express concerns with the official’s involvement in the match.
So, uh, someone should probably let their Twitter admin know.

Supposedly Palmer may be out tomorrow due to illness
Likely so. Didn't train. Gusto likely also out, so staring down the barrel of RB Axel Disasi.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Should be noted, given Forest's leaning into "Luton fan Stuart Atwell," that The Athletic has reported that:

At this point their only move is to double down, I’m just interested to see what (if anything) comes out of it.

Likely so. Didn't train. Gusto likely also out, so staring down the barrel of RB Axel Disasi.
I hope that Arsenal’s luck of playing teams at perfect times all season is etched into the history their season

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England

No need to the club statement never said they asked for him to be removed, they said they made the PGMOL aware they had selected a Luton fan for VAR, which they're not disputing just trying to muddy the waters a bit and take the heat off themselves.

But Clattenburg has also confirmed the contact and raising concerns with PGMOL directly in his column:

Reactions: GeoRox89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad