GWT: EPL - Matchweek 3

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Chelsea have a very easy start to the season. They probably start a run today and we are all none the wiser
I so very reluctantly picked Chelsea in the pickem for this week :laugh:
Chelsea.....
or
Luton....

Hmmmmmmm....

By no means confident in my pick. Chelsea. :eek::eek::eek:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Chelsea hasn't done that well against promoted teams in recent years, although they did trash Norwich.

From Chelsea website:

"Between 2001 and 2020, 57 promoted teams played at Stamford Bridge and only one – Bournemouth in 2015/16 – left with all three points.

Since then, Chelsea have been humbled on two further occasions – the 4-1 beating by Brentford on 2 April 2021, and the 5-2 against West Bromwich a year and a day later, both on Thomas Tuchel’s watch."

I fear Ross Barkley will score the winner tonight.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The back 3 just feels like when Conte tried to make the 4-2-4 work before finally swtiching to the 3-4-3 and dominating. I'm not expecting this team to immediately turn it around like that with the 4-2-3-1, but there are some similarities.

Reactions: Blender

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
You're stuck with him for at least two years I think. All this transfer activity happened with the expectation of a ban (IMO) so they won't be buying anyone to replace him next summer.
I buy that theory’s possibility.

Chelsea's spent a billion in three windows and their bench is still paper thin
Broja, Mudryk, Nkunku, Chukwuemeka, Fofana, Chalobah, James, Badiashile no backup GK, and still short one more attacking signing.

Lavia not match fit.

It’s going to keep being weak for a while up front off the bench until they get another signing through and Broja returns.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I understand why. That doesn't make it less crazy. Maybe they should have spent on a physio.
I do wonder how much of the injury issues are due to bad luck and/or injury prone players or if we just have some shit injury prevention at the club.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
zxghke0erakb1.jpg

Disaster getting another start after last week is a travesty. I like the Enzo, Gallagher, Caicedo trio. Chillwell playing wing again.

Pretty sure this is a 4-3-3.

This motherf***er! Is playing a back five again!

Gonna lose today, I’m sure.

At a friends birthday, not watching, probably for the best.
I think it's a 4-3-3 with Chilwell at wing again.

Gusto - Disasi - Silva - Colwill
Caicedo
Gallagher - Enzo
Sterling - Jackson - Chilwell
That is how we lined up against Liverpool and West Ham.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
zxghke0erakb1.jpg

Disaster getting another start after last week is a travesty. I like the Enzo, Gallagher, Caicedo trio. Chillwell playing wing again.

Pretty sure this is a 4-3-3.
Yeah, it's one of those hybrid 3-5-2/4-3-3. Chilwell is essentially a LW and Colwill is essentially a LB. And for today, probably doesn't matter that much, since we should dominate possession, so it's really the attacking shape that matters. Just going to come down to finishing, hopefully Jackson has a breakout game.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yeah, it's one of those hybrid 3-5-2/4-3-3. Chilwell is essentially a LW and Colwill is essentially a LB. And for today, probably doesn't matter that much, since we should dominate possession, so it's really the attacking shape that matters. Just going to come down to finishing, hopefully Jackson has a breakout game.
My big question today is if we're using the fullbacks inverted like we did in preseason, or are they providing width with the wingers playing inverted like in the first 2 games this season.

Reactions: gary69

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

Colwill played very high up last week (after the sending off), almost like a (deep lying) midfield playmaker.

Depends how hard Luton press, but Kabore is fast and pretty good on their right flank, so that's a threat for Chillwell and Colwill if they push too high up.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I understand why. That doesn't make it less crazy. Maybe they should have spent on a physio.
Apparently they have since Boehly’s come in.

Probably needs to be gone through more.

It’s all very strange. It’s been very consistently a problem for years now

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Caicedo has been awful to start again.

Way too soon hot take time; Gallagher played better at DM through 150 minutes than Caicedo has so far.

Reactions: Peen

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Chelsea need to score now after all this possession in the opposition half.

Sterling should have shot there, instead of drifting wide near the goal line, he was never going to find a better shoting angle from there. The attack died on his feet.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Chelsea need to score now after all this possession on the opposition half.

Sterling should have shot there, instead of drifting wide near the goal line, he was never going to find a better shoting angle from there. The attack died on his feet.
So most Sterling plays.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This is going to be one of those, well duh, type comments, but if Jackson can start turning chances into goals, he's going to have a bright future. He feels like the most dangerous ST we've had since Costa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad