GWT: EPL - Matchweek 3

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
VAR clearly did not do their job properly if they deemed that the Mac Allister was not an obvious error and not reviewable. The referee should have been sent to the monitor.

Also who cares about the delay. A red card offense and an error is more impactful to a game than a delay. Again, you guys are funny, all referee decisions are good and we all have to accept their incompetence. I will remember that next time you question a bad decision. Nobody should ever question on field decision and VAR then, they are the absolute truths, that's what I am getting from all of you.
Saying the VAR official made a mistake/didn't do his job properly is fine. But that's fundamentally different then saying it wasn't reviewed.

No one is saying you can't criticize the officials. We all do it all the time. There's a difference between saying the officials made a mistake and going on a crusade to have all yellows or potential yellow events reviewed.
The yellow card review should be done when it's an obvious error, like no contact at all, etc, not for every yellow card actions.
So you think that it would be ideal for the refs to have been sent to the monitor to review the TAA foul and send him off? Good times.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Saying the VAR official made a mistake/didn't do his job properly is fine. But that's fundamentally different then saying it wasn't reviewed.

No one is saying you can't criticize the officials. We all do it all the time. There's a difference between saying the officials made a mistake and going on a crusade to have all yellows or potential yellow events reviewed.

So you think that it would be ideal for the refs to have been sent to the monitor to review the TAA foul and send him off? Good times.
To be honest I thought the foul was weak but if they did it and apply it for all teams sure. That's what VAR is supposed to do.

My issue is not that VAR has not reviewed is that they did not ask the referee to go to the monitor. The contact never warranted a red card and it was a mistake by VAR. That's what is fundamentally wrong with VAR, the referee will never ask their friend to the monitor because it will expose them.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
To be honest I thought the foul was weak but if they did it and apply it for all teams sure. That's what VAR is supposed to do.

It's literally not what VAR is supposed to do and absolutely no leagues have implemented it as such

My issue is not that VAR has not reviewed is that they did not ask the referee to go to the monitor. The contact never warranted a red card and it was a mistake by VAR. That's what is fundamentally wrong with VAR, the referee will never ask their friend to the monitor because it will expose them.
You literally said multiple times that it wasn't reviewed. You should learn what words mean.

Also you specifically stated "I am not asking for the referee to make all perfect decisions" and yet have repeatedly complained about a mistake that the VAR referee made and implied there is some sort of issue with the protocol because the VAR official made a mistake.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It's literally not what VAR is supposed to do and absolutely no leagues have implemented it .

Also you specifically stated "I am not asking for the referee to make all perfect decisions" and yet have repeatedly complained about a mistake that the VAR referee made and implied there is some sort of issue with the protocol because the VAR official made a mistake.
All majors decisons should be reviewable like a red card. They have no issue reviewing for 10 minutes about offside and trying to judge if the player was millimeter offside but they cannot have VAR in the booth review if a player commited a yellow card foul?

I do not want every single fouls to be reviewed but obvious error and questionable onea should be reviewable like Tomiyasu and Mac Allister decision that were wrong. That has a huge impact of the game. It does not happen that often as people claim in a normal game you usually have 2 fouls max that are usually questionable for further sanctions.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
You still don't seem to understand what goes into a VAR decision or how VAR actually looks at anything.

Because the area of potential VAR interventions is limited to straight red card offenses, goals, and pens, it's far easier for VAR to dismiss the vast majority of what happens in the game. It's easy to see that 99% of challenges are not straight reds from a quick glance. And it's almost universal that when an orange challenge happens play naturally stops anyway. The team that got fouled usually doesn't try to quickly restart play after their teammate nearly gets stretchered. So VAR naturally has time to review angles and determine if a clear and obvious error as occurred such as a missed red. The same for potential fouls in the box or near the edge of the box and obviously the same for goals.

It takes time for VAR to review the angles and determine if a clear and obvious error occurred. Most often thus occurs either during live play (i.e., the ref waved away a foul in the box and the ball stayed in play) or at times when the game is naturally stopped so the interruption is smaller, but it still happens.

If you expand that review to include yellows and potential yellows you now add a *massive* number of events that need to be checked in further detail which dramatically increases the chances that VAR would disrupt the game. Every single time players come together/there's a foul, VAR now doesn't need to just look for a second to see if it was a straight red, but has to look to see if it was a potential yellow card. Every time the referee plays advantage, VAR now needs to spend time reviewing angles to determine if it would be a clear and obvious error to either award or skip awarding a yellow. If a player is starting a bit of a break and is brought down, but his team wants to restart play quickly, wait they now can't do that because VAR has to finish it's check first to determine if the professional foul was worthy of a yellow even though the ref was happy not to award one.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
MD4 ain’t even started yet and you’re on it
Whats wrong with that statement?

Refs have been bad in every game. We get the privilege of welcoming back a guy who had to be temporarily removed for making a high profile error. LFC gets another bad ref. Keep the bad refs coming.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Well who else is gonna ref the games? They’re all shit so of course we’re going to get a shit one.
I just don’t know why the PL won’t import refs from better leagues and/or hire independent VAR People. Do they really think is answer is to keep shoving shit refs down everyone’s throats? Get better refs. They exist.

Theres also a difference between shit refs and shit refs that are so shit they have to get taken off the job

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I have given up on complaining about the referee standard. Bring on another red card, anyway the squad has had many reps playing 10 v 11 it might become their new strategy.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Whats wrong with that statement?

Refs have been bad in every game. We get the privilege of welcoming back a guy who had to be temporarily removed for making a high profile error. LFC gets another bad ref. Keep the bad refs coming.

Oh no. What if they don’t call the penalty literally every other crew in the league ignores!

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Oh no. What if they don’t call the penalty literally every other crew in the league ignores!
I don’t think you are using the word literally correct. They literally were removed from games after the incident because they blew the call. That’s how you use the word literally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad