luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Screenshot_20240304_013234_Instagram.jpg

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I have no problem saying that United's squad is what might be letting them down.

But who gets blame for signing those players? Sure... some are leftovers from god knows which team at this point. If not for some of those players and the youth teamers coming in, they really would be a giant pile of crap.

ETH gets blame for the squad being poor because he also bought shit.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Complaints about ETH (most of them) aren’t based around some delusion that if only we had a good manager we’d be competing with City/Liverpool/Arsenal right now.

I mean, do any of United’s starters start for City? How many of them even make the bench? There’s a very clear gulf in talent between the two squads.

However, it’s also true that ETH isn’t remotely getting the most out of his players and some of the biggest flops have been guys that are clearly ETH buys (Antony being the easiest example)

Reactions: maclean

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
He's certainly not getting the most out of some of the players. That's likely been the case for a bit with others as well. Their trouble is can you keep him but force him to take players from a sporting director?

Can they attract a top manager with Barca, Bayern, Liverpool and maybe others also looking for managers?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
He's certainly not getting the most out of some of the players. That's likely been the case for a bit with others as well. Their trouble is can you keep him but force him to take players from a sporting director?

Can they attract a top manager with Barca, Bayern, Liverpool and maybe others also looking for managers?
I think the hope in general is that the new structure at the top of the football department can attract talent in general, players and possibly managers. I think many see it as realism that people up top want to see what ETH is capable of under that structure and with the right (=healthy) players.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think the hope in general is that the new structure at the top of the football department can attract talent in general, players and possibly managers. I think many see it as realism that people up top want to see what ETH is capable of under that structure and with the right (=healthy) players.
I think the question I would have is what the players feel. Are they really redeemable with this manager? You can't really afford to sink another giant pile of cash into this, so they have to work something out with players they have. That's unfortunate, because I have questions on their professionalism, attitude and ability (for some).

They might be able to attract the top players / managers, but they also can't do that by overpaying like they have in the past. That gets you nowhere.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Who is the best player on their roster at any time certainly is in flux.

There are weeks when Haaland is out and out unplayable. When healthy, KdB is probably the best midfielder in the world at times. Rodri is the best DM right now. Ruben Dias has been one of the best central defenders.

I mean... with the money they've spent, if they didn't have an all star lineup, there would be concerns.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I agree that Foden is getting underrated a bit here but I don't think he's the best player on City over. He can be on any given day though and with some regularity, including for England. I think it's worth judging talent by their position on the field (i.e. a defender or DM may be worth more/better than an attacker but I don't care to compare them) so I'll say that outside of Bellingham, there's no one I'd outright take above Foden right now. He's incredible and fairly versatile to boot.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

"On Foden, Guardiola said: “He is the best player in the Premier League."

I'll listen to the guy that knows the club best
Crazy how that quote cuts out pep including “right now” as a caveat. But regardless, a manager hyping his player to the media doesn’t mean that much to me.

I agree that Foden is getting underrated a bit here but I don't think he's the best player on City over. He can be on any given day though and with some regularity, including for England. I think it's worth judging talent by their position on the field (i.e. a defender or DM may be worth more/better than an attacker but I don't care to compare them) so I'll say that outside of Bellingham, there's no one I'd outright take above Foden right now. He's incredible and fairly versatile to boot.
Foden is a year older than Saka and has the same number of PL goals with significantly fewer assists and didn’t play LB for a decent chunk of his career.

I like Foden, a lot, but Saka is a half step ahead of him in my opinion.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
There is no world in which Foden is the best City player.

Haaland, KdB, Rodri, Diaz are all easily clear imo. I would then put Bernardo Silva ahead of Foden, I personally think Silva is one of the most underrated players in the Prem at the moment.

Foden is 23 and is still only getting better. Who knows, in 2 years he may be the clear star of City, but for now it's not close for me.

Reactions: S E P H and maclean

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Saka of last season, sure. His numbers are severely inflated by the last 6-7 matches. Prior to that he wasn't playing very well. I'm not saying he isn't more important (arguably he could be) but it's been a two / three weeks of form and most of the season of not all that great.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Saka of last season, sure. His numbers are severely inflated by the last 6-7 matches. Prior to that he wasn't playing very well. I'm not saying he isn't more important (arguably he could be) but it's been a two / three weeks of form and most of the season of not all that great.
Nah he's been playing amazingly all season it just hasn't been showing up as much on the scoresheet until these last few weeks.

Which is actually something I wanted to bring up regarding Foden - it's hard to assess guys at City by boxscore stats because of how their system is set up. Bernardo Silva has never had more than 7 assists in a season, for instance.

It isn't particularly meaningful to me that Saka has more goal contributions. They're both spectacular players - to compare in terms of G+A does them both a disservice.

Reactions: KJS14

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
This just isn't true.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Sheesh went to welcome my son home and came running back in when I heard us score again and somehow we'd scored another in between as well

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $865.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $209.00