GWT: EPL - Matchweek 26 (ft. MW 7)

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I’d like to see some evidence of this. There’s plenty to criticize Bruno for yesterday but I’m 99% that didn’t happen.

Even if this is true (which I doubt it is, the fact that this was published speaks enough for itself. I may be biased, but even to me at the time it looked like he was asking out; but if they want to spin the PR machine otherwise…sure…?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Even if this is true (which I doubt it is, the fact that this was published speaks enough for itself. I may be biased, but even to me at the time it looked like he was asking out; but if they want to spin the PR machine otherwise…sure…?
Yeah clearly the PR machine milking the result for all they can. Like I said there’s a lot of tangible stuff to criticize Bruno for Sunday. But with the state journalism is in guess I’m not surprised.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

The referee is looking at the ball and thus the players in the other half would have been, at absolute best, at the very edge of his periphery or totally out of his vision.. Thus realistically he would have had to received communication from his side judge who is significantly far away from the play given he'd be in line with the furthest back outfield Bournemouth player and thus in a really bad angle to say definitively if a player is across the line. It's also not something the 4th official can help with as he doesn't get involved in those types of calls even though he would have had a great angle.

As for VAR, VAR explicitly cannot rule on starts/restarts of play. Once the referee let it go live, there's nothing in the rules for VAR to do. It literally wouldn't matter if Brentford posted a player at the top of the Arsenal box, if the referee lets the kickoff go live, VAR cannot do anything about it after the fact.

As the article mentioned, players are in the wrong half from a kick off *all* the time, Most times a team doesn't fold like a cheap tent and allow a goal 10 seconds into the game though so no one cares.

For example, I was just watching the Bretford v Fulham game.

On the second half kickoff two Brentford players were even further into the opposition half than the Bournemouth players, no one cared.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussi and luiginb

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
The referee is looking at the ball and thus the players in the other half would have been, at absolute best, at the very edge of his periphery or totally out of his vision.. Thus realistically he would have had to received communication from his side judge who is significantly far away from the play given he'd be in line with the furthest back outfield Bournemouth player and thus in a really bad angle to say definitively if a player is across the line. It's also not something the 4th official can help with as he doesn't get involved in those types of calls even though he would have had a great angle.

As for VAR, VAR explicitly cannot rule on starts/restarts of play. Once the referee let it go live, there's nothing in the rules for VAR to do. It literally wouldn't matter if Brentford posted a player at the top of the Arsenal box, if the referee lets the kickoff go live, VAR cannot do anything about it after the fact.

As the article mentioned, players are in the wrong half from a kick off *all* the time, Most times a team doesn't fold like a cheap tent and allow a goal 10 seconds into the game though so no one cares.

On the second half kickoff two Brentford players were even further into the opposition half than the Bournemouth players, no one cared.

From what point does the VAR check incidents leading to a penalty or goal?​

The VAR will only check the attacking possession phase that led to the penalty or goal.

The starting point will be limited to the immediate phase. The VAR may not go back to when the attacking team gained possession.

The VAR will consider the ability of the opposing defence to reset, and the momentum of the attack.

As mentioned previously, there are four situations when VAR can be used in the game. The first is for goals and offences leading up to the goal,

Offence in this case is the players not starting in their own half. The whole play is considered the attacking possession phase.

You're argument is basically "it's the rules but refs don't call it." Yet you complain about stuff like time wasting and how "it's the rules and the refs should call it".

Anyways an ex ref, someone that has actually done it professionally, has stated it was wrong so I'd take that person's word over yours.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

From what point does the VAR check incidents leading to a penalty or goal?​

The VAR will only check the attacking possession phase that led to the penalty or goal.

The starting point will be limited to the immediate phase. The VAR may not go back to when the attacking team gained possession.

The VAR will consider the ability of the opposing defence to reset, and the momentum of the attack.

As mentioned previously, there are four situations when VAR can be used in the game. The first is for goals and offences leading up to the goal,

Offence in this case is the players not starting in their own half. The whole play is considered the attacking possession phase.

You're argument is basically "it's the rules but refs don't call it." Yet you complain about stuff like time wasting and how "it's the rules and the refs should call it".

Anyways an ex ref, someone that has actually done it professionally, has stated it was wrong so I'd take that person's word over yours.

Whether the ref "should" have caught it live or not is subjective. I won't say if this former official would have called it or not, but I can definitively say that it's not even the worst "player on the wrong side of half" call to be missed this weekend and that's just from what I happened to be watching tonight. I'd imagine you can find players on the wrong side of half on a large number of kickoffs. Generally officials will let it go unless it accrues some sort of advantage (which this didn't).

It's also something the ref needs to call immediately. He can't notice it, let play go for 5 seconds and then call it back because they have a dangerous chance.

The difference between this and time wasting is that time wasting fundamentally does accrue an advantage for the team doing it. They have to play less game to get to their desired result, it also makes a joke of the sport. Yes, not retaking all these restarts is objectively against the rules, but just like the rule that the keeper can only hold the ball for 6 seconds or else an indirect free kick is called, it's clear that officials don't actually care unless it's extremely blatant and leads to some sort of tangible advantage.

As for if VAR could intervene, he might be a former official (back when there was no VAR FWIW), but he's objectively wrong.

• The Laws of the Game do not allow restart decisions (corner kicks, throw-ins etc.) to be changed once play has restarted, so they cannot be reviewed

What about a restart, like a corner or goal kick?
It's against VAR protocol for any standard restart to be reviewed (the exception is a penalty kick). Decisions on such incidents can only be made by the on-pitch referee. So, on a goal kick the VAR cannot rule on encroachment by an attacking player, nor can it rule on the ball being within the quadrant on a corner.

Possible disallowed goal: Encroaching on a kick-off by Semenyo

What happened:
Billing scored the second-fastest goal in Premier League history after just 9.11 seconds, but Antoine Semenyo was already in the Arsenal half before Dominic Solanke had taken the kick-off.

VAR decision: No VAR intervention possible.

VAR review: The VAR cannot rule on any starts or restarts -- throw-ins, free kicks, etc -- so would be unable to intervene on a player being in the opposition's half at kick-off. This is something the on-field team has to spot and order an immediate retake of the kick-off.

Reactions: Jussi

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I've disliked this guy for years and doubt "player coaching" actually achieves anything, but i love the energy and he has instantly become a fan favourite in my books.

Reactions: maclean

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

It's offsides plain and simple and last time I chequed, VAR should be reviewing offsides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad