GWT: EPL - Matchweek 25 (ft. MW 18)

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Nobody, he's not good enough to start for City
I'd say he's at the same level as the guys who rotate in and out of the City AM/W slots (i.e., not Foden, Alvarez, KdB, or B. Silva).

I take him over Jeremy Doku and he and Grealish are a wash to me right now (with the clarification that I like Grealish and his track record a lot, and he has hit levels that Palmer hasn't come near). He's easily of a quality higher than Matheus Nunes. If he had stayed at City, he likely would start about half the time.

But, he is also being put in a position where he can be the talisman, and that can make a player thrive in ways you wouldn't see in system roles! So it's hard to say directly. But in a vacuum, I'd say he pushes Doku out of a City XI.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Nah man. Doku is much better, if you choose Palmer over Doku you haven't seen enough for the latter. I'd say I'd take Grealish over Palmer too, but by a bit. He's miles better than Matheus Nunes, that we agree on, but they don't really play the same position, Nunes is more of a Gallagher (much worse though)

Reactions: maclean and gary69

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Nah man. Doku is much better, if you choose Palmer over Doku you haven't seen enough for the latter. I'd say I'd take Grealish over Palmer too, but by a bit. He's miles better than Matheus Nunes, that we agree on, but they don't really play the same position, Nunes is more of a Gallagher (much worse though)
Eh, I've seen quite a bit of Doku, it's not from a lack of viewing. He gets overhyped because he feasts on slow fullbacks and has tricky feet. He's a good player but I'm not a huge fan.

Reactions: Evilo

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Palmer needs to get quicker. Or develop a right foot

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Eh, I've seen quite a bit of Doku, it's not from a lack of viewing. He gets overhyped because he feasts on slow fullbacks and has tricky feet. He's a good player but I'm not a huge fan.
Apparently suddenly became world class the moment he signed in the EPL.
Yet you hear there are no good players outside PSG in L1.
Doku is explosive and can unbalance a defense. But his career has consisted with injuries and lack of end product so far.
He is young enough to develop into a weapon. But as of now he's not amazing.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Apparently suddenly became world class the moment he signed in the EPL.
Yet you hear there are no good players outside PSG in L1.
Doku is explosive and can unbalance a defense. But his career has consisted with injuries and lack of end product so far.
He is young enough to develop into a weapon. But as of now he's not amazing.

To be fair, the question was more just would you take Palmer over him

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I know, but Doku has been applauded this season outside this discussion.
Doku was never an unknown. He was the most expensive purchase of his club as a teenager and he was often injured. Hard to properly evaluate his progression and if he would eventually reach his full potential.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Doku was never an unknown. He was the most expensive purchase of his club as a teenager and he was often injured. Hard to properly evaluate his progression and if he would eventually reach his full potential.
Who said he was unknown?
He played almost 100 games for Rennes. We could evaluate him and I did talk about his potential multiple times. Not my fault you couldn't see it?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Who said he was unknown?
He played almost 100 games for Rennes. We could evaluate him and I did talk about his potential multiple times. Not my fault you couldn't see it?
Never said, it was your fault or blamed anobody.

I do know some EPL centric people (mostly in the media) would claim that Man City discovered him. While it is partially true, the biggest surprise thus far it's that he has been fully fit this year not his talent.

He was a bigger name than Cole Palmer in the football world for instance.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I cannot watch the game. What happened to Jota and Jones?

Jones was dispossessed with body contact and when he went down, it looked like his ankle bent awkwardly. He was able to walk off.

Jota/MacAllister/Norgaard went up for a ball and Norgaard came in hard and when he and Jota landed, he came down on Jota's knee which bent back, not to the side. He tried to walk off but had to be stretchered off.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Burnley players grabbing/holding us in the box on every corner, but we get called for the foul...

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Burnley players grabbing/holding us in the box on every corner, but we get called for the foul...
Well watch Ben White at corners. Easy to spot, bloke always looks like he sleeps on the beach.

Arsenal have something that City don't, they don't have their highs but they've been consistently good, at least the games I've watched them. And I still think that if Arteta manages to win the Premier League with Havertz as a starter he deserves a statue.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Well watch Ben White at corners. Easy to spot, bloke always looks like he sleeps on the beach.
Yeah, Ben White tries to get into the GK's space on corners, and he's gotten called for fouls the past 2 years for interfering. But today, the Burnley player has been trying to play offensive line against him, then fell forward to no fault of Ben White, but we got called for the foul.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
So glad Awoniyi is back. Might be in a better position now if he never went down or defending set pieces successfully was in this teams capability

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad