GWT: EPL - Matchweek 22

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
There’s just so many parts to Chelsea, I don’t know how a competent manager fits it all together. I think Poch is alright but they’re building the plane while flying it but also trying to air drop in another 25 pieces. Half of them also need to be welded into something new. It’s just wild
You know, the squad was huge going into the season but because of injuries, we’ve always had like 5-10 guys out so we never have has a big player miss the squad. There’s always 2-3 prospects on the bench who never play because Poch doesn’t trust them.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Just like Spurs/Liverpool earlier this season, if the ref got it right early, Chelsea could have won. If it comes down to these points at the end, Liverpool should be thankful.
it’s really silly if you either cannot, or choose not to see the difference

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
it’s really silly if you either cannot, or choose not to see the difference

If Chelsea is up 1-0 after 15 minutes, the entire game changes, nothing can be assumed as far as the following 75 minutes go. You can't just say, "Well, it would have just been 4-2".

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If Chelsea is up 1-0 after 15 minutes, the entire game changes, nothing can be assumed as far as the following 75 minutes go. You can't just say, "Well, it would have just been 4-2".
I mean do you we want to talk about how the reason that everyone assumed LFC would have lost is because they were down to ten men? Or do we want to talk about about the equivalent situation being if VAR thought it was a penalty, assumed the penalty was given and so they confirmed it as a penalty call; only afterwards seeing what actually happened. Also if we want to talk about the Evilo rule, there is plenty of evidence LFC would have come back anyway.

Yes, goals change games. But even none of the Chelsea fans are saying the ref cost them that game, and the statistical resoundingly back that up as well. I am certainly not going to dwell on this today, but just needed to point out how ridiculous of a comparison this is.

Also because Everyone had to read that nonsense I will leave a palate cleanser and I want to give a shout out to the Chelsea (and LFC) fans on here. They know who they are. The Chelsea/LFC interaction during the game yesterday was probably the most civil one that there has been on here for years. Thought everyone was very pleasant and that was nice to see.

Reactions: luiginb

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I watched Match of the Day last night for the first time in a while. Chelsea are a bit of a rabble.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The number of managers who might walk away from this Liverpool club right now is pretty short.

It really looks like not only are they set to make another run in the next few seasons, but the academy is cranking out some useful parts.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The number of managers who might walk away from this Liverpool club right now is pretty short.

It really looks like not only are they set to make another run in the next few seasons, but the academy is cranking out some useful parts.
Klopp is also insane in terms of his intensity and you can only keep that going for so long.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

You know, more importantly than tactically, they need to bring in someone who is going to keep that there is a real path from academy to first team. Would hate to lose that part of the club.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
You know, more importantly than tactically, they need to bring in someone who is going to keep that there is a real path from academy to first team. Would hate to lose that part of the club.
The money they've spent and talent they've developed will pay off whether it's players or players moved on. I'm not really worried. But getting guys who can do what Ljinders / Matos do in that integration are important.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The money they've spent and talent they've developed will pay off whether it's players or players moved on. I'm not really worried. But getting guys who can do what Ljinders / Matos do in that integration are important.
For sure, I mean they aren’t going to get another Klopp. That’s near impossible . What they need to bring in some one with a unified infrastructure that they can trust. Need to sell a holistic vision. It’s not just a manager they are replacing here

Klopp is also insane in terms of his intensity and you can only keep that going for so long.
100%. He knows he's burned out. But a good list of managers would keep running it till the wheels fell off.
Supposedly he wanted to go last season but his wife talked him out of it. He’s earned the right to call it when he wants but would have loved just one more year so we could have gotten another UCL run with 2.0

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I mean do you we want to talk about how the reason that everyone assumed LFC would have lost is because they were down to ten men? Or do we want to talk about about the equivalent situation being if VAR thought it was a penalty, assumed the penalty was given and so they confirmed it as a penalty call; only afterwards seeing what actually happened. Also if we want to talk about the Evilo rule, there is plenty of evidence LFC would have come back anyway.

Yes, goals change games. But even none of the Chelsea fans are saying the ref cost them that game, and the statistical resoundingly back that up as well. I am certainly not going to dwell on this today, but just needed to point out how ridiculous of a comparison this is.

Also because Everyone had to read that nonsense I will leave a palate cleanser and I want to give a shout out to the Chelsea (and LFC) fans on here. They know who they are. The Chelsea/LFC interaction during the game yesterday was probably the most civil one that there has been on here for years. Thought everyone was very pleasant and that was nice to see.
You can't have it both ways though.
You can't assume because Pool was denied a good goal against Spurs they would have won, while saying Chelsea scoring the opening goal against Pool would mean nothing.
You know my opinion on both situations. But you're singing a different tune depending on who gets the short stick here.
Pool got screwed of a good goal against Spurs. They could have won that game, but bets were against them IMO. And surely counting 3 points makes zero sense to me.
Here, Chelsea got screwed of a 80% of the opening goal (chance of scoring a pen). They might have won, but bets were against them too. And counting 3 points for Chelsea makes zero sense to me as well.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You can't have it both ways though.
You can't assume because Pool was denied a good goal against Spurs they would have won, while saying Chelsea scoring the opening goal against Pool would mean nothing.
You know my opinion on both situations. But you're singing a different tune depending on who gets the short stick here.
Pool got screwed of a good goal against Spurs. They could have won that game, but bets were against them IMO. And surely counting 3 points makes zero sense to me.
Here, Chelsea got screwed of a 80% of the opening goal (chance of scoring a pen). They might have won, but bets were against them too. And counting 3 points for Chelsea makes zero sense to me as well.
Sure I can, it’s completely different. There is a different between not getting a real goal. And Chelsea not getting a maybe goal. Hell Darwin (who had been 12 for 12) missed a PK in the same game.

I also did not say Chelsea scoring the opening goal means nothing. I literally said goals change games in the post that you Quoted. I’m not going to keep talking about this. I don’t think anyone wants that, most of all myself. But what I am not going to do is compare real goals to maybe goals.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think it's very fair to say that a team at 11 men getting a pen at 0-0 in the 8th minute or whatever it was has a higher expected points from a game than a team at 10 men getting a goal at 0-0 in the 30th minute. At the very least, the expected points are very comparable.

Reactions: Evilo

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
as a Chelsea fan, there is a marked difference between a non-call PK (which, though i think it was stonewall, is subjective and not a guaranteed goal) and the called-off Liverpool goal at Spurs (objective and a goal).

with liverpool-spurs it's not just that they were denied a goal, it's that it is fully unambiguous and undeniable that they were denied a goal.

a missed penalty has subjectivity and ambiguity to it, even if it should've been one.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
if Chelsea had the penalty, you never know. it certainly is difficult, but I think supporters can live with the results of that. Having a good goal not go in is certainly a different outcome.

Either way... I don't know what defensive system Chelsea were playing, but it just looks awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad