GWT: EPL - Matchweek 21

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
My guess is that the reason VAR cleared it so quick is because the Bournemouth player was sort of battling with the other Liverpool player going into the challenge so wasn’t fully in control/wasn’t intending to do that.

But my response to that is you still need to be in control of your body. He handed with studs on the high ankle/shin with considerable weight. The fact that the referee didn’t call anything at all furthers the case that he didn’t see it properly.

Its those type of situations where I’d like VAR to be able to say “we’re not specifically recommending a red, but obviously you missed something so go take a look and see what you think”
VAR cleared it quick because Paul Tierney is on VAR. This VAR audio is probably going to be very similar to the VAR audio that it was for Odegaard handball where David Coote, decided to quick clear it. Coote and Tierney are so continuously at the scene of the crime for incidents like this. We have seen that given as red repeatedly this season.

Again, I go back to that Tottenham game and compare it to this. The lack of consistency pisses me off

Would have loved to see them send the ref to the screen with a freeze frame for this incident. But its Paul Tierney. Again. This was worse than the Jones red too. At least Jones rolled over the ball. This was just straight studs.

Gomez's brains remain a mystery to me.
Gomez been holding this back line together with duct tape. Man he looks ugly at left back but he is doing his best over there. Not sure how many of those balls he is used to running at from that position. Was certainly some "interesting" defending though

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Just want to point out, all the commentary keeps talking about adorable Bournemouth on a budget, when they've had a higher net spend than LFC this season and last season (when they came up from Championship).

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Just want to point out, all the commentary keeps talking about adorable Bournemouth on a budget, when they've had a higher net spend than LFC this season and last season (when they came up from Championship).
Yea it definitely makes sense to judge teams on two seasons of spending and not the decade of team building before that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yea it definitely makes sense to judge teams on two seasons of spending and not the decade of team building before that.
Not saying that. Just saying that its a myth that this is some crazy budget team like Luton for example. If you can have a higher net spend comparable to a team which decades of spending; you clearly can be financially competitive with that. Yes Bournemouth is not Liverpool. We know this. But we also know that Bournemouth has a higher net spend than LFC over the last two years. Thats still a pretty crazy statement

Sep 19, 2008
wait that's not liverpool!

nvm it is. watching in korea, can't understand a word. jerseys threw me off.

Darwin

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
1-0 Darwin Nunez. He's much better when he keeps it simple.

Been very impressed with Conor Bradley today on his PL debut. Especially going forward

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
To be fair, I recall that Bournemouth actually spent pretty heavy once they'd stabilized as a top division side in the '10s. I think part of why Howe was sacked, as I recall, is that he had been a big part of their transfer business and most of their major signings had busted really hard.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
To be fair, I recall that Bournemouth actually spent pretty heavy once they'd stabilized as a top division side in the '10s. I think part of why Howe was sacked, as I recall, is that he had been a big part of their transfer business and most of their major signings had busted really hard.
Sure. But the reason their net spend is higher is because Liverpool had far more talent to sell to finance moves. Liverpools incoming spend has been much higher, they’ve just been able to get scam purchases from the Saudi’s to offset it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Looked like a penalty to me. Hes going down easy but player steps across.
Didn't have a problem with no PK. Only issue from me today is no red card. (as of 63rd min)

Paul Tierney everybody

Sure. But the reason their net spend is higher is because Liverpool had far more talent to sell to finance moves. Liverpools incoming spend has been much higher, they’ve just been able to get scam purchases from the Saudi’s to offset it.
I don't think it matters why the net spend is higher. Bournemouth also just got a new owner who wanted to splash cash. And he has certainly done that. This is not a team on a shoestring budget.

• Haha
Reactions: bluesfan94

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
2-0 Diogo. LFC needed that goal bad - were starting to look a bit jaded.

Great advantage played by the ref there. Good officiating. Can't say I never say anything nice about the refs

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Not a penalty btw:

Are you saying that the ref should not have given advantage there?

Might have to sub him off before he gets another yellow though. Him and Konate have been MOTM today
It’s a commentary on you, not the play. Reverse the kits and you’re telling me you’re complimenting the referee afterwards?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not a penalty btw:

It’s a commentary on you, not the play. Reverse the kits and you’re telling me you’re complimenting the referee afterwards?
Thats not true. Its the right decision. I can compliment the right decision. I also said it was the right decision not to give Diogo Jota a penalty earlier today and that would have benefited LFC. I can give kudos. My only issue today has been with the VAR. I think the ref has called a pretty fair game (as of 78th minute)

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Jota is criminally underrated. He’s a menace
Another one! 3-0

Salah and Diogo need to start every game. My "issue" right now is I am not sure who the "third man" should be. Honestly I kind of think it should be Szoboszlai but thats another story

To be fair, getting through this without another card is a learning experience he needs.
This is very true. Good point, but also cannot afford to lose him on suspension until we know Trent and Andy are back.

Another thing that we definitely cannot have right now is a Curtis Jones injury. Hes such a difference maker

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I still like Jota on at 60. His aggression coming in is a difference. Right now they need him most of the match. But at full strength, coming in to change a match would be big

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I still like Jota on at 60. His aggression coming in is a difference. Right now they need him most of the match. But at full strength, coming in to change a match would be big
Diogo on 60 is great, but shouldn't get punished because he is a weapon off the bench too. He is also a great starter and no one else has really done anything to displace him. I think Diogo probably scores a lot of our first goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad