GWT: EPL - Matchweek 21 (ft. MW7)

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
As we continue to make up for the queen's death, some big games this week. We have Tottenham, off the back of a NLD derby loss, heading to Manchester to play City, while Arsenal hopes to ride its momentum when hosting Man United, who has a midweek match to contend with. Liverpool hosts Chelsea, in a match that would have been really interesting the last couple years. Tottenham then ends the week with a London derby that could see Fulham leapfrog Tottenham and go into 5th.

HomeAwayTime and Date (CDT)Venue
Crystal PalaceManchester UnitedWed., Jan. 18, 2:00 PMSelhurst Park
Manchester CityTottenham HotspurThurs., Jan. 19, 2:00 PMEtihad Stadium
LiverpoolChelseaSat., Jan. 21, 6:30 AMAnfield
Leicester CityBrighton & Hove AlbionSat., Jan. 21, 9:00 AMKing Power Stadium
SouthamptonAston VillaSat., Jan. 21, 9:00 AMSt. Mary's Stadium
West Ham UnitedEvertonSat., Jan. 21, 9:00 AMLondon Stadium
BournemouthNottingham ForestSat., Jan. 21, 9:00 AMVitality Stadium
Crystal PalaceNewcastle UnitedSat., Jan. 21, 11:30 AMSelhurst Park
Manchester CityWolverhampton WanderersSun., Jun. 22, 8:00 AMEithad Stadium
Leeds UnitedBrentfordSun., Jun. 22, 8:00 AMElland Road
ArsenalManchester UnitedSun., Jun. 22, 10:30 AMThe Emirates
FulhamTottenham HotspurMon., Jun. 23, 2:00 PMCraven Cottage

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I'm curious about the Chelsea v Liverpool matchup to see which central is more useless and gets overrun.

My guess is Chelsea due to Liverpool's attackers being able to actually generate chances and the wingers able to get up the pitch and cross balls in. I think Liverpool are still quite high in terms of chances generated this season, they just can't finish. Ziyech can't run much with the ball but he feels like the only healthy Chelsea player who can deliver a good ball into the box which is a bit embarassing. Then again, maybe Mudryk starts by Saturday.

Reactions: Rob

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I actually think there is a decent chance Arsenal drops points on Sunday, even at home. This United squad is scrub on paper, but Ten Hag doing what he did with Ajax and having them punch above their weight class. They are probably the 2nd or 3rd best in form club with Arsenal and Newcastle (could probably add Brighton to that list as well) at the moment. Will be a very tough match.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I actually think there is a decent chance Arsenal drops points on Sunday, even at home. This United squad is scrub on paper, but Ten Hag doing what he did with Ajax and having them punch above their weight class. They are probably the 2nd or 3rd best in form club with Arsenal and Newcastle (could probably add Brighton to that list as well) at the moment. Will be a very tough match.
Scrub on paper? I don’t think there’s much, if any difference on paper between the two lol.

Reactions: Jussi

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Scrub on paper? I don’t think there’s much, if any difference on paper between the two lol.
I don't want to undermine United's success, but I am not sure I agree.

Currently
Martial > Nkeitah (Jesus destroys Martial though)
Rashford = Martinelli (Rash better finisher, Messi better creator)
Fernandes < Saka
Eriksen < Odingaard (not close)
Fred < Xhaka (not close)
Casemiro =< Partey (close)
Malacia < Zinchenko (close)
Shaw < Gabriel (not sure what Shaw is doing at CB)
Varane =< Saliba (close)
Wan-Bissaka < White (not close)
de Gea < Ramsdale (I don't buy de Gea's current form)

Arsenal wins at every position except striker and that's more due to injuries. I think you lot destroy us in bench depth and options though.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Currently
Fernandes < Saka
Fred < Xhaka (not close)
Varane =< Saliba (close)

Arsenal wins at every position except striker and that's more due to injuries. I think you lot destroy us in bench depth and options though.
I’m not even going to justify this list with a legitimate response lmao.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

Currently
Fernandes < Saka
Fred < Xhaka (not close)
Varane =< Saliba (close)

You left out Midget Martinez and Antony.

Both squads are pretty close except for GK and FB.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
I can see why one would think it’s close but that is just people still undervalues Arsenalplayers. If someone like Ödegaard played for City instead he would be much higher regarded by people. People tends to rely on names rather than look at what is being performed right here, right now.

I think United have a lot of players who previously had a high reputation like De Gea, Varane, Sancho, Fernandes, Eriksen etc but neither of them are performing close to that reputation.

Reactions: S E P H

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I can see why one would think it’s close but that is just people still undervalues Arsenalplayers. If someone like Ödegaard played for City instead he would be much higher regarded by people. People tends to rely on names rather than look at what is being performed right here, right now.

I think United have a lot of players who previously had a high reputation like De Gea, Varane, Sancho, Fernandes, Eriksen etc but neither of them are performing close to that reputation.
Speak for yourself.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I think his list is surprisingly less crazy than you all would like to admit. Not sure why certain players were compared against each other, but the only players I'd even consider adding to Arsenal from United are Bruno and Casemiro. And Partey has definitely been better than Casemiro so far this year. Not close.

• Haha

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I did miss some players like Martinez, but I used the starting XI against Citeh based on that.

Partey is not a better player than Casemiro.
I don't agree, if Casemiro was better than Partey, then Real would have never sold him. I think it's close and Casemiro was definitely way better than Thomas in their prime...like no questions asked about that. But now? I would take Partey even though Casemiro brings a lot of stability to United's midfield that they didn't have since Pogba.

I went back to my list again and not sure what United fans are laughing at. Like what are the biggest mistakes there? I have half of the players classified as "close." Only ones I don't have as close are White and Odingaard, there should be no debates there at all.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I did miss some players like Martinez, but I used the starting XI against Citeh based on that.

I don't agree, if Casemiro was better than Partey, then Real would have never sold him. I think it's close and Casemiro was definitely way better than Thomas in their prime...like no questions asked about that. But now? I would take Partey even though Casemiro brings a lot of stability to United's midfield that they didn't have since Pogba.

I went back to my list again and not sure what United fans are laughing at. Like what are the biggest mistakes there? I have half of the players classified as "close." Only ones I don't have as close are White and Odingaard, there should be no debates there at all.
Real sold Casemiro because Casemiro asked to leave. Ancelotti wanted to keep him and play him with Tchouameni. The board decided to accept his request to leave.

I guess they felt he was not a better option than any of Tchouameni, Camavinga and Valverde anymore. He is still better than Partey though and I like Partey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad