GWT: EPL - Matchweek 20

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Nope. A new manager won't make these players better, we've see it already too many times.

That doesn't mean he hasn't done a shit job. A lot of those players are his too. I get the reticence to hire yet another manager but ETH isn't getting anything out of anyone.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I honestly don't know why pundits are shocked anymore that Man United is rubbish. It was more surprising for me that they went on that really good run last year more so than them constantly losing matches.

It was a really fun match between two midtable clubs though. E: Second half I meant.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That doesn't mean he hasn't done a shit job. A lot of those players are his too. I get the reticence to hire yet another manager but ETH isn't getting anything out of anyone.
Hopefully other United fans feel that way and they give him a new contract after they get a massive win against Everton later this season.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I honestly don't know why pundits are shocked anymore that Man United is rubbish. It was more surprising for me that they went on that really good run last year more so than them constantly losing matches.

It was a really fun match between two midtable clubs though. E: Second half I meant.
United had regressed to what they were pre-Ferguson. Ferguson era was the outlier. This is probably accurate to what they are without him

Reactions: S E P H

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
And it's not like some people warned about his finishing products in the f***ing Eredivisie
Yeah....and its not like even good Eredivise finishing is guaranteed to translate. Can't blame the Glazers for that either.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
United had regressed to what they were pre-Ferguson. Ferguson era was the outlier. This is probably accurate to what they are without him
That's so funny you wrote that because I found a YouTube channel that shows every single CL winner, FA winner, and EPL winner ever in the history of FA football and Man United only had the SAF era where they won most if not all their major trophies. Arsenal gets made fun of a lot, but we had some legendary teams in the 1930s, some in the 1950s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s. You are 100% right to say that Man United was a nothing club for most of their history.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That's so funny you wrote that because I found a YouTube channel that shows every single CL winner, FA winner, and EPL winner ever in the history of FA football and Man United only had the SAF era where they won most if not all their major trophies. Arsenal gets made fun of a lot, but we had some legendary teams in the 1930s, some in the 1950s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s. You are 100% right to say that Man United was a nothing club for most of their history.
You ever heard of Sir Matt Busby? Or the Münich air disaster?

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
1703972770603.png

1703972793202.png

"Nothing club" Manchester United had 1 fewer top flight titles than Arsenal pre-Ferguson with 7 compared with 8. Same number of FA Cups. Of course Manchester United also had a European Cup pre-Ferguson while Arsenal has never won that competition.

Where do you get this stuff?

Reactions: Jussi

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
View attachment 792771

View attachment 792774

"Nothing club" Manchester United had 1 fewer top flight titles than Arsenal pre-Ferguson with 7 compared with 8. Same number of FA Cups. Of course Manchester United also had a European Cup pre-Ferguson while Arsenal has never won that competition.

Where do you get this stuff?
They had some random wins sprinkled throughout, but large and far few between.

• Haha

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They had some random wins sprinkled throughout, but large and far few between.
So by your standard Arsenal was also a nothing club pre-Wenger, right? They had a good stretch in the 1930s but other than that it was few and far between. Manchester United had a good stretch under Busby from the 50s to 60s, very similar.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So by your standard Arsenal was also a nothing club pre-Wenger, right? They had a good stretch in the 1950s but other than that it was few and far between. Manchester United had a good stretch under Busby from the 50s to 60s, very similar.
Arsenal had some beast clubs in the 1930s, 1950s, and 1980s. Man United won a couple of random trophies, a huge amount of them with SAF, and then some randos post-SAF era.

The moral of the story is that this current Manchester United is more of the common club they've been for their entire life.

• Haha

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Arsenal had some beast clubs in the 1930s, 1950s, and 1980s. Man United is a couple of random trophies, a huge amount of them with SAF, and then some randos post-SAF era.
I meant 1930s in my other post. They won one title in the 50s and one in the 80s. Chelsea won one title in the 50s as well and I doubt anyone will claim they have a long storied history of being a top club.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Arsenal had some beast clubs in the 1930s, 1950s, and 1980s. Man United won a couple of random trophies, a huge amount of them with SAF, and then some randos post-SAF era.

The moral of the story is that this current Manchester United is more of the common club they've been for their entire life.
They won one title in 1989 and one title in the 50's...
Edit: beaten by Blender to it.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
@S E P H in the 1950s Manchester United won 3 titles with an average position of 4th over the decade. Arsenal won 1 title with an average position of 6th. You're going to have to explain to me how you determined Manchester United was a nothing club here and Arsenal a top club.

Reactions: al secord and Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad