GWT: EPL - Matchweek 19

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Surprised by the lack of enthusiasm over that match, granted it didn't have a lot of chances, but the intensity and passion were off-the-charts good. You felt that either club had a goal in them at any chance, even though clean sheets prevailed in the end.

Again, I'm fine with this not being a penalty. Think it should be. It's been given all season and especially in the World Cup, but if that's the standard, that's the standard. The problem is that it isn't the standard.

It's just Pejorative Slured to me that one ref has to manage 20 men on the pitch at all times, it's so easy to miss aspects like shirt pulls and handballs in the box. Assistants are even worse, they have a tough job because they have to watch for potential fouls the ref can't see and constantly look for offsides. Hell, the assistant was the one who gave the free kick for Saka after Joelington got a clean poke on the ball. Let the assistants focus on offsides and have two refs, one behind the play and one in front.

Reactions: luiginb

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Again, I'm fine with this not being a penalty. Think it should be. It's been given all season and especially in the World Cup, but if that's the standard, that's the standard. The problem is that it isn't the standard.

Dragged him back so hard that he fell forward.

The video is way less damning than the still frame and is far more typical English wrestling in the box.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Dragged him back so hard that he fell forward.

The video is way less damning than the still frame and is far more typical English wrestling in the box.
to be fair, when you're getting pulled back, you lean forward more to try to get out, so any release of pressure is going to cause you to fall forward

All I'm saying is this was regularly given as a penalty in the World Cup.

Here's the video. I think it's pretty clear he's dragged back, put off balance, tries to fight through, and then falls upon release. And considering Ødegaard got booked for much less of a shirt pull, it's a laugh.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
So Arsenal have not yet won against any of the three other teams in the top four...slight concern no? Imo they aren't really all that direct in the box and Nketiah obviously doesn't have the technical skills of Gabriel Jesus. But still, they need to be direct. Schar/Bottman feel like they bottled them in that box and Martinelli didn't generate much from the left side either. The movement was quite slow from the build-out in the back too.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
So Arsenal have not yet won against any of the three other teams in the top four...slight concern no? Imo they aren't really all that direct in the box and Nketiah obviously doesn't have the technical skills of Gabriel Jesus. But still, they need to be direct. Schar/Bottman feel like they bottled them in that box and Martinelli didn't generate much from the left side either. The movement was quite slow from the build-out in the back too.
I mean, not really. They lost to Man U on a fluke and drew Newcastle while being denied obvious penalties. They haven’t played city. Two weeks ago, that statement wouldn’t be true. They’ve beaten Liverpool, Brighton, Chelsea, and Tottenham.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
to be fair, when you're getting pulled back, you lean forward more to try to get out, so any release of pressure is going to cause you to fall forward

All I'm saying is this was regularly given as a penalty in the World Cup.

Here's the video. I think it's pretty clear he's dragged back, put off balance, tries to fight through, and then falls upon release. And considering Ødegaard got booked for much less of a shirt pull, it's a laugh.

I can't see that video since it got copyright claimed, but I went back and watched the replay several times via Youtube TV. I think he feels the tug, is a little off balance, and then uses that as an excuse to go to ground. He falls because he doesn't take a step with his left foot, he just leaves his feet behind and falls.

I don't disagree that it was frequently given in the world cup, but the PL has virtually never given those as penalties.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I don't disagree that it was frequently given in the world cup, but the PL has virtually never given those as penalties.

Leaving aside this specific case, but in general wasn't the idea of FIFA calling things a certain way on the big stage an indication that they should be called that way at "lower" levels as well?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Finishing is a fickle bitch

And the guy is still averaging like .81 G + A per 90

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
It's amazing how Nunez went from being compared to Haaland to now being compared to Jesus. Funny seeing the narrative change to suit their own bias.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Too mean?

I am loving the hate from other team toward Nunez. Not going to lie, maybe people believe he is a fail but what I see is a player that will dominate for years but that is snake bitten at this moment. His finish versus Brentford was sublime but ruled out by an offside or by Ben Mee on the line, he is getting 4 or 5 big chances per game, he is a menace. Let people doubt him.

Reactions: maclean

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Moyes dropping Benrahma :laugh:

Bring back Evil Kagawa tweets
omg i totally forgot about that account, good times.

Benrahma fully deserves to be dropped though, he's not good

A rare start for Scamacca - hope he makes the most of it.

EDIT: turns out Scamacca has started way more than I thought he had

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
omg i totally forgot about that account, good times.

Benrahma fully deserves to be dropped though, he's not good

A rare start for Scamacca - hope he makes the most of it.

EDIT: turns out Scamacca has started way more than I thought he had
he has been one of their best players this season lol

Bowen and Soucek have been ass and yet they are starting

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
that Hwang challenge was nasty. another day another ref or VAR that's a red

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
As much as I hate to say it…wouldn’t Tyler Adams solve a lot of Liverpool’s problems? Especially if they have to settle for a guy without UCL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad