GWT: EPL - Matchweek 14

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Will Liverpool let Klopp have a season where they finish 7th or something? You'd like to think so, but it doesn't seem like a sure thing either.
At this point, this is getting to relegation forget even UEFA.

Will Klopp be talking about how Liverpool can't compete with the resources of Leeds after this one?
Has he ever claimed that? The obsession toward Klopp supossed excuses are getting weirder.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Can’t win if they can’t run. We’ve seen this game many times before this season. Hopefully finishing out of top four will make the fake fans go away

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ten clubs outspent Liverpool this summer. It's valid.

You can certainly bring up other issues but investment is one of them.

With their age and needs, Liverpool were in no position to break even in transfer business.

Now there's more catching up to do, existing players are losing resale value, and the entire cost of the process is additive.

The Premier League is a cash piñata. We no longer live in a world where you get away with Moneyball because everyone below 11th is playing their plummer. Teams come up from the Championship and make 8-digit purchases.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So are any of those conspiracy theories about how this is a caffeine off cycle year popped up again? I remember those a few years ago. Was worth a good laugh.
I think they are just old and injured
Ten clubs outspent Liverpool this summer. It's valid.

You can certainly bring up other issues but investment is one of them.

With their age and needs, Liverpool were in no position to break even in transfer business.

Now there's more catching up to do, existing players are losing resale value, and the entire cost of the process is additive.

The Premier League is a cash piñata. We no longer live in a world where you get away with Moneyball because everyone below 11th is playing their plummer. Teams come up from the Championship and make 8-digit purchases.
14 PL clubs had higher Net than LFC this summer

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Oh for sure, I just remembered that conspiracy theory from a few years ago and was wondering if people were bringing it up again despite it being stupid and making no sense in context.
People were talking about asthma inhalers too.

Either way the solutions to LFC’s problems are not internal

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I agree that investment is the #1 issue.

The reason I bring up tactics is because this team is still night and day in Europe against teams that don't see them regularly.

I don't buy that Rangers and Ajax are just worse teams than PL relegation candidates.

There's an obvious element of knowing how to beat Liverpool.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We gave up the early goal on a dumb error yet again, which is another story, but after that we had the ball the whole first half and looked like winning 3 or 4 to 1.

Henderson and Jones came on and it's like somebody picked up Anfield and titled it downhill towards Alisson.

Henderson might be my favorite ever player but he's finished. Jones is a bust.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
We gave up the early goal on a dumb error yet again, which is another story, but after that we had the ball the whole first half and looked like winning 3 or 4 to 1.

Henderson and Jones came on and it's like somebody picked up Anfield and titled it downhill towards Alisson.

Henderson might be my favorite ever player but he's finished. Jones is a bust.
We don’t run.

Everyone made fun of Utd when Brentford out ran them and ETH made them do wind sprints. Looks what’s happened since. LFC getting out tan every game and they don’t do any of the things that have made the special anymore. I say the same thing every week because nothing has changed.

No investment, no bodies so playing the same crocked players and letting them get more crocked. They can rev themselves up for the big games buts that’s it. That’s what this season has been. Without Alisson they’d probably be in the relegation zone

Last edited:
Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We don’t run.

Everyone made fun of Utd when Brentford out ran them and ETH made them do wind sprints. Looks what’s happened since. LFC getting out tan every game and they don’t do any of the things that have made the special anymore. I say the same thing every week because nothing has changed.

No investment, no bodies so playing the same crocked players and letting them get more crocked. They can rev themselves up for the big games buts that’s it. That’s what this season has been. Without Alisson they’d probably be in the relegation zone
They're too old to run and they haven't really rebuilt on the fly. The whole team is old at the same time.

Granted they tried to at forward and had a lot of injuries, there's nothing you can do.

I'm terms of deeper-lying midfielders, they're still relying on Fabinho and Henderson for energy. And I'll maintain that Wijnaldum was never actually replaced.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They're too old to run and they haven't really rebuilt on the fly. The whole team is old at the same time.

Granted they tried to at forward and had a lot of injuries, there's nothing you can do.

I'm terms of deeper-lying midfielders, they're still relying on Fabinho and Henderson for energy. And I'll maintain that Wijnaldum was never actually replaced.
LFC’s success was based on running. Now they don’t run. That’s where the disconnect is. It’s mad how oblivious to this that they were. There is a big Fabinho problem. He rushed back from injury at the end of last season to be healthy for UCL final and he has not looked right at all since. Henderson should be doesn’t what Milner is doing and Milner should not be counted on. The midfield is absolutely killing the defense. The defense hasn’t been great but they get no help whatsoever. They aren’t a team anymore. Leeds ran an extra 11km compared to LFC today

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Not sure how lack of investment made Van Dijk and Fabinho become such donkeys. Something's up with them for sure.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
LFC’s success was based on running. Now they don’t run. That’s where the disconnect is. It’s mad how oblivious to this that they were. There is a big Fabinho problem. He rushed back from injury at the end of last season to be healthy for UCL final and he has not looked right at all since. Henderson should be doesn’t what Milner is doing and Milner should not be counted on. The midfield is absolutely killing the defense. The defense hasn’t been great but they get no help whatsoever. They aren’t a team anymore. Leeds ran an extra 11km compared to LFC today
It's said that catchers don't age with grace because of the demands of the position. They just hit a wall. People will say Yadi, and I guess, but Yadi low-key can't hit a f***ing lick for years now. I digress.

I think the same is true of midfielders.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Crazy that was VVD's first loss at Anfield... 70 games unbeaten.
Crazy that it happened in the first place. All good things come to an end.

Liverpool can lose to anyone right now but they NEVER should be losing a late kickoff at home to Leeds. This is hopefully rock bottom? But it could also get worse. Nothing would surprise me

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not sure how lack of investment made Van Dijk and Fabinho become such donkeys. Something's up with them for sure.
Fabinho became a donkey because he rushed back from injury to play the UCL final last May, and lack of investment meant there is no cover for him and he has thusly been significantly overplayed. They have run him into the ground, no one else is helping him with his responsibilities and he has no backup

Virgil is also being over played, no cover was bought (LFC made Nat Phillips stay because no one else was coming in), but again (and I don’t know how many LFC games you have watched) he very much looks like a player who is terrified of missing the World Cup through injury. He’s only run against City and in Amsterdam. Every other game it’s like he is at .5 speed.

It's said that catchers don't age with grace because of the demands of the position. They just hit a wall. People will say Yadi, and I guess, but Yadi low-key can't hit a f***ing lick for years now. I digress.

I think the same is true of midfielders.
As I have said for weeks, (probably months now), I trust Klopp but once the players lose that athleticism it does not come back. It’s a young persons game. Anyone who watches can see the issues. Klopp and Alisson are the only people keeping the team out of the relegation zone. Klopp has been able to find solutions with A LOT of limitations but he can only do so much. Alisson has been the best keeper in the league. No one else is remotely close to their level

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Some notes about Spurs yesterday:

Bentancur changed the game after he came on. Him and Hojbjerg are both having fantastic seasons.

The offense is still misfiring in open play without Kulusevski. Please be back soon.

Conte rotated the defense and it showed. Sanchez isn't good enough and Lenglet shouldn't be playing Dier's central role. Think someone has to be brought in for that.

Finally, I really hope Conte has realized now that he can't rely on Emerson, no matter how he looks in training. Doherty, Perisic, Spence, hell even Moura are better options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad