GWT: EPL - Matchweek 11

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
There was pretty clearly no intent and he knew nothing of it. I could see the argument why it isn't a penalty but yeah, that's gonna get given 95% of the time

Yea it wasn't on purpose, but you could tell by the look on his face that he knew he was in a lot of trouble.

Bamford punished for playing through a foul. If he flops it's likely given as a red.

Reactions: bluesfan94

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yea it wasn't on purpose, but you could tell by the look on his face that he knew he was in a lot of trouble.

Bamford punished for playing through a foul. If he flops it's likely given as a red.
Until VAR found him offside. Although if it's given as a second yellow, can VAR review it?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Until VAR found him offside. Although if it's given as a second yellow, can VAR review it?

Technically they could because they could review if it should be a red for DOGSO (which it should have been). Then during that review they'd see if it was offside and if it was the ref would have the option to basically call the play as he sees it, including rescinding the yellow.

If it wasn't DOGSO, then no they couldn't review the second yellow for offside.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
can we get rid of the gerrard experiment yet? clearly out of his depth
Gerrard is probably out of his depth, but not sure that he can be blamed for that result today. Rotten luck for Villa today.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
This seems exactly like they played last year whenever they got a lead. Would absolutely bunker up and just hope to hold on.
the biggest difference this season is that the defense has been way better and they've been relentless offensively. Today the team seems very flat

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
the biggest difference this season is that the defense has been way better and they've been relentless offensively. Today the team seems very flat

I think this year they've tried a lot more to continue to keep the foot on attack. Today it just seems like they're content to hoof the ball forward and hope for something on the counter. There's very little attempt at building up and maintaining possession.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I don't even think this is on the offense; we haven't gotten the ball to them. The defense isn't able to build out of the back and we're just clearing. I think going 5 at the back makes sense to have an extra body in the buildup

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If the ref decides he needs to tell a player to get up and has to physically help him to his feet, it's probably time to start thinking about a time wasting yellow.

Once again, players waste time because refs let them get away with it without issue.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
I think this year they've tried a lot more to continue to keep the foot on attack. Today it just seems like they're content to hoof the ball forward and hope for something on the counter. There's very little attempt at building up and maintaining possession.

I don't even think this is on the offense; we haven't gotten the ball to them. The defense isn't able to build out of the back and we're just clearing. I think going 5 at the back makes sense to have an extra body in the buildup
agree with both but I meant that the attacking players have been relentless pressing even when we're up. In this game the team is playing deeper and not really pressing Leeds high up the pitch.They probably tired, we need some wingers to rotate with Saka/Martinelli can't waste them in the UEL

Marquinhos is far from ready

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
Gerrard is probably out of his depth, but not sure that he can be blamed for that result today. Rotten luck for Villa today.
can't be blamed for our lack of finishing today, yes. But we have not created any close to that amount of chances in games against far weaker opposition (including 10 men).
It also doesn't help when we continuously switch who we play in attacking positions from game to game

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
agree with both but I meant that the attacking players have been relentless pressing even when we're up. In this game the team is playing deeper and not really pressing Leeds high up the pitch.They probably tired, we need some wingers to rotate with Saka/Martinelli can't waste them in the UEL

Marquinhos is far from ready
Marquinhos is fine for UEL. But yes, another winger would be nice. ESR being out hurts. Nelson is coming back but was invisible Thursday.

Ugh 6 minutes. Probably the right amount but ugh

Reactions: John Pedro

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
What a call. This has to be overturned on VAR. Has to be a foul on Bamford first. Dumb by Gabriel, but also not a real kick and Bamford clearly fouls Gabriel first

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
What an awful VAR call. Gabriel is clearly blocking off Bamford should never in a million years be a foul on Bamford.

Also not sure how a foul earlier in the play negates a play for violent conduct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad