News Article: Entry Draft on Oct 6th, UFA on Oct 9th

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Interesting write up. He points out that if he produces 10 less PPPs he would still be a top 10 PP player, but would drop his expected contract by 1.5 million. Interesting concept but ultimately begs the question do you pay Krug for what he has done or what you expect him to do?

He obviously expects to be paid for what he has achieved; do GMs agree that he can continue to be a top 5 PP QB regardless of team? I mean Krug scoring 35+ PPP in Detroit seems kind of crazy with our lack of talent...

If you pay him what he would be expected to do in Detroit something around 6.5 - 7 would be fair.

All of this to say I doubt he can deliver value of 7.5 over the next 5 years in Detroit. If we can get him for a shave under 7 I’m on board. But anything above 7.05 just seems like he would be destined to underachieve in Detroit.

With Michigan being his home maybe there is an opportunity to leverage a marginal home town discount and get him to sign in and around that 7 million mark. If he digs in for 7.5 I could live with it on a 2-3 year contract. Anything outside of these parameters and I’d have to reluctantly pass on Krug.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I’m all for getting Krug on this roster. Warts and all. I’d prefer 4 years max, if possible.

I just feel so bad for Larkin, Mantha and the rest of the forwards having to do everything to produce offense. We need some defenseman who can pass and shoot so the hockey isn’t so depressing to watch.

Back on topic - the draft is probably my favorite day of the year. It will be pretty sad when the top 3 goes as planned but I’ll instantly be a homer for whoever we pick at 4 lol. Trust the Yzerplan

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
whose comparable to perfetti?
better yet what do you think perfetti will become realisitically?
comparisons i've seen have included patrick kane, nick suzuki, jordan eberle, and dylan strome. if i had to guess, i'd expect perfetti to produce as a 50-60 point winger in his prime.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
comparisons i've seen have included patrick kane, nick suzuki, jordan eberle, and dylan strome. if i had to guess, i'd expect perfetti to produce as a 50-60 point winger in his prime.
Only 50 to 60 pts?

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ulysses31

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Interesting write up. He points out that if he produces 10 less PPPs he would still be a top 10 PP player, but would drop his expected contract by 1.5 million. Interesting concept but ultimately begs the question do you pay Krug for what he has done or what you expect him to do?

He obviously expects to be paid for what he has achieved; do GMs agree that he can continue to be a top 5 PP QB regardless of team? I mean Krug scoring 35+ PPP in Detroit seems kind of crazy with our lack of talent...

If you pay him what he would be expected to do in Detroit something around 6.5 - 7 would be fair.

All of this to say I doubt he can deliver value of 7.5 over the next 5 years in Detroit. If we can get him for a shave under 7 I’m on board. But anything above 7.05 just seems like he would be destined to underachieve in Detroit.

With Michigan being his home maybe there is an opportunity to leverage a marginal home town discount and get him to sign in and around that 7 million mark. If he digs in for 7.5 I could live with it on a 2-3 year contract. Anything outside of these parameters and I’d have to reluctantly pass on Krug.

5x5 or GTFO.
Go get overpaid by someone else.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
5x5 or GTFO.
Go get overpaid by someone else.

Don't you want this team to not suck? I thought that was your whole thing this last year, let's be more competitive.
Who is going to command a lot of money on this team to where we have to be super selective to what we give free agents?

Reactions: mantha39

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Don't you want this team to not suck? I thought that was your whole thing this last year, let's be more competitive.
Who is going to command a lot of money on this team to where we have to be super selective to what we give free agents?
I'm thinking Krug will work out a deal with Sweeney to stay in Boston.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Only 50 to 60 pts?

giphy.gif
Keep in mind that I don’t know what I’m talking about really and am not a scout. I also operate on the principle that if I set my expectations high, I will be disappointed. On the other hand, I don’t think 50-60 points is much to ask for of a top five pick.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Keep in mind that I don’t know what I’m talking about really and am not a scout. I also operate on the principle that if I set my expectations high, I will be disappointed. On the other hand, I don’t think 50-60 points is much to ask for of a top five pick.

Outside of a few outliers here and there, most #4 picks are going to be in that range. It's why the awful lottery luck we've had feels so bad.

But if you expand selections to the entire top 15 of a draft, you can usually, but not every draft, find one great player in that pile. It's all about plucking out that Tarasenko (#16 overall) instead of Nino Niederreiter (#5 overall).

Hitting on Tarasenko brought St. Louis a Cup.

Reactions: Oddbob

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Outside of a few outliers here and there, most #4 picks are going to be in that range. It's why the awful lottery luck we've had feels so bad.

But if you expand selections to the entire top 15 of a draft, you can usually, but not every draft, find one great player in that pile. It's all about plucking out that Tarasenko (#16 overall) instead of Nino Niederreiter (#5 overall).

Hitting on Tarasenko brought St. Louis a Cup.
absolutely, i hope we get the homerun pick at four. there are a handful of players i could easily see blowing up, and i'd put perfetti in that group. with perfetti, i think you're getting a good top-6 hockey player regardless of whether he blossoms into an elite player or not (bearing in mind that i don't really know what i'm talking about).

Reactions: mantha39 and Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
absolutely, i hope we get the homerun pick at four. there are a handful of players i could easily see blowing up, and i'd put perfetti in that group. with perfetti, i think you're getting a good top-6 hockey player regardless of whether he blossoms into an elite player or not (bearing in mind that i don't really know what i'm talking about).

Absolutely. I'm keeping my expectations reasonable for this pick.

Unless it's Askarov, at which point I fully expect 15 straight Vezina's and Hart trophies.

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010
I will laugh when Drysdale gets taken at #2 or #3 and SY ends up taking someone other than Byfield or Stutzle

Reactions: Henkka

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
guessing you think there will be a better at 4
yes and no. it's more likely statistically that one of the hundred plus players drafted after perfetti outperforms him in the long run, but to what i think is your real question, i'd take either perfetti or sanderson at fourth. i don't have a crystal ball, but i think a player of that caliber is a good pickup at four, and he could always surprise and evolve into an elite center at the nhl level. but yeah, it's also possible that jarvis, reichel, perreault, ______, evolve into elite nhl forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBH

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Krug is not good enough to help this team, especially for what he's been rumored to be asking.

If we're going to be paying that type of money, why not trade for someone like OEL? Arizona can't even feed their players, do you think they're going to want a good player with a potentially big contract in return?

I'd rather sign a couple of average, veteran journeymen or soneone on a retirement contract for 2 or 3 years.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Krug is not good enough to help this team, especially for what he's been rumored to be asking.

If we're going to be paying that type of money, why not trade for someone like OEL? Arizona can't even feed their players, do you think they're going to want a good player with a potentially big contract in return?

I'd rather sign a couple of average, veteran journeymen or soneone on a retirement contract for 2 or 3 years.

I expect nothing more than a couple stop gap signings once again this year.

Reactions: Oddbob

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Until our young guys make it (or don't), unless the big one is the size of a Volkswagen, I'd rather keep fishing in small ponds.

Yep, no point in risking getting into cap trouble before the team is on the rise. Also the team isn't even close to being done with prospects that aren't even drafted yet in the coming years. We only have two proven player's Larkin as a top 6 center and Hronek as a top 4 d we still need to accumulate far too much before we look for FA guys to finish the edges off.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yep, no point in risking getting into cap trouble before the team is on the rise. Also the team isn't even close to being done with prospects that aren't even drafted yet in the coming years. We only have two proven player's Larkin as a top 6 center and Hronek as a top 4 d we still need to accumulate far too much before we look for FA guys to finish the edges off.

Plus the expansion draft.
Why cause any heartburn?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Neither did I! I know this sounds mean, but howie just doesn't look like he could go out and play competitive hockey there. Mick is twice his age and looks in better shape. @Henkka lately seems to be stumping for a new goalie coach, so maybe Howie needs to inquire about a new job title this year.

I also thought that Ken Daniels is looking kind of rough as well, maybe that is just me though!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad