Entry Draft Lottery results a big secret

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Montrealer said:
Yeah, or else everyone in Canada will stop watching hockey. FOREVER.

Oh no not really, but showing some acknoledgement that without the fans there is no NHL would be nice.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Dr Love said:
I don't get the "exposure" argument. It assumes that a network would actually want to carry it. Die hards would already watch, but they're not enough. It wouldn't get covered in the US outside of ESPNnews, the casual fan isn't going to tune into ESPNnews to see it (if they even get it, which most don't). The NBA draft lottery, by comparison, holds more interest because the average viewer knows most of the players that are going to be drafted in the first round, having watched them in college (for the picks that went to college), and the NBA draft is a much bigger affair as well, and the NBA does it during the playoffs when interest for the sport is high. There is little to no reason for a network to carry it.
Put it on the NHL network. I really do not care about the casual fan in Florida or Rasheed Yakini in Nigeria seeing it. You can sell some advertising and you can show the lottery on TV. As some have said- what is the harm?

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Clearly Crosby is going to be a Devil...I mean come on guys where else can he thrive in such a defensive system? We all want to see Crosby become the greatest +/- player who ever lived right?

Hell just send him to NY already...

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
This is seriously the biggest non-issue that people are getting all worked up over in quite some time. And anyone who believes this is fixed is a moron, plain and simple.

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Epsilon said:
This is seriously the biggest non-issue that people are getting all worked up over in quite some time. And anyone who believes this is fixed is a moron, plain and simple.

You have to admit, if he goes to the Rangers everyone will think its fixed.

davidwii

Jan 20, 2005
NJDevils#4 said:
You have to admit, if he goes to the Rangers everyone will think its fixed.

I see your point, but seeing a NY Ranger ball come out of a machine on live TV isn't gonna make it look less rigged. They want to rig it, they will, live TV or no live TV...

Just saying that there is lots of ways to cheat. If their gonna cheat...their gonna cheat. Doesn't matter if its behind closed door or on live TV...

So I just don't see what doing it on live TV does to prove it isn't rigged.

NOWWWWWw..I do think it would be good publicity for the NHL. At the very least, they could throw us fans a bone since were hockey starved...but no biggie to me...

David

turnbuckle*

Dr Love said:
I was clearly talking specifically about the US. Hockey doesn't need exposure in Canda.

We noticed that you only mentioned the US, as if that's the only thing that counts when it comes to the NHL. Clearly, you are misinformed. In case you forgot, the NHL just went through a 300-day strike, and many Canadians weren't exactly thrilled about it. We're not all rushing out to buy season tickets. Not all Canadian teams were exactly bursting with revenues (quite the opposite) before the strike - I would suspect that it might be a good idea to do things that will appease the Canadian fan base. As has been stated before, TSN, Sportsnet et al (BTW, they are Canadian sports networks) will be there anyway - set up some sort of ball picking, letter opening, whatever.........

BTW - I don't actually think the lottery will be fixed.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
hawksfan50 said:
IF by some miracle the Hawks won the flip--then they pay $22.5 million out to get Crosby and L.A.'s "opportunity risk cost" is only $7.5 million...

I think we all know Bill Wirtz isn't about to pay $22.5 million for anything - even Sidney Crosby. If he was told getting Crosby would cost $5, he'd sneer at the cost and comment that his $5 would be better spent on getting a good side for his steak later that evening.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Considering the way the NHL is managing this thing i SUSPECT it could be fixed.

Now i'm eager to realize in which category i belong!
Moron, just like those who are sure it is fixed?
Half a moron?
Soon to be moron?
Suspicious fool?
Ignorant fan?
Poor gull?

:help:

Phil333

Dec 26, 2003
New York City
helicecopter said:

Half a moron?
Soon to be moron?
Suspicious fool?
Ignorant fan?
Poor gull?

:help:

You think the owners are just letting Gary do the drawing in his office alone? People will be watching, it will be checked. This isn't some bush league lottery drawing.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
helicecopter said:

Half a moron?
Soon to be moron?
Suspicious fool?
Ignorant fan?
Poor gull?

Independent auditors are always used to vet the draft lottery process and results.

Phil333

Dec 26, 2003
New York City
helicecopter said:
No. But i can't be sure they can't have some form of agreements behind those closed doors.. since otherwise i can't understand why they are going to hide it.

Because it is going to take a long time to draw the whole first round. The NBA is done behind closed doors too, they just open stupid envelopes on TV.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The NHL is making a big mistake since this televising the draft lottery is the best way to hype the NHL's return.

Non-fans and even casual fans have never heard of Crosby and will not care.

But the NHL shouldn't be concerned with them. Who they need back are the actual fans who they've burned. The ones that care about their teams. The ones that are going to be excited about the chance that their team could get a player like Crosby.

If they hold it while most local networks have their early evening news and during the ride home radio shows, they can get the news media to hype that "(Insert local team name here) has a chance at drafting superstar Sidney Crosby)" and broadcast the live results, rather than an announcement that will be only reported in the city that won Crosby.

By the time the draft is held, the vast majority of even hard-core fans won't care since Crosby's fate will be decided (baring some sort of blockbuster trade).

The NHL needs drama and flare. Not a bland press conference. They need to hype Crosby and get fans back interested in the game.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
as long as the lottery itself is performed in front of representatives of all 30 teams i think that will kill all "fix" talk.

however for the life of me, i can't understand why the nhl wouldn't want to make the results a tv event.

obviously the "new" nhl is more of the same ole, same ole.

it's too bad, because i love hockey. it's too bad bettman doesn't.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
hawker14 said:
as long as the lottery itself is performed in front of representatives of all 30 teams i think that will kill all "fix" talk.

however for the life of me, i can't understand why the nhl wouldn't want to make the results a tv event.

obviously the "new" nhl is more of the same ole, same ole.

it's too bad, because i love hockey. it's too bad bettman doesn't.

Maybe they don't want to be embarrassed by the abysmal ratings the lottery would draw, and have the media jump all over the fact that dolphin racing beat it in the Nielsens, and opine that hockey is dead.

Not saying that's a good reason, but it may be more likely than a fix.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
PredsFan77 said:
actually the NBA does the drawing behind closed doors, and only televises the announcement of the draft order.

Agreed.

and Bettman will follow in his mentor footsteps, David Stern, and do exactly the same.

No biggee...the press are acting blindly here just looking for any opportunity to knock Bettman..

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
Timmy said:
and have the media jump all over the fact that dolphin racing beat it in the Nielsens, and opine that hockey is dead.

That or the Hells Westminster world series of canine poker kitchen

Last edited:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Timmy said:
Maybe they don't want to be embarrassed by the abysmal ratings the lottery would draw, and have the media jump all over the fact that dolphin racing beat it in the Nielsens, and opine that hockey is dead.

Not saying that's a good reason, but it may be more likely than a fix.

They race dolphins? What channel? :)

ATLANTARANGER*

since it worked once before, I hear that

Montrealer said:
Independent auditors are always used to vet the draft lottery process and results.
Arthur levitt is going to certify the results!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad