Entry Draft Lottery results a big secret

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Since this thread is pretty long I figured I'd take the lazy route and not worry if this discussion has already been held.

Anyway, with all the conspiracy talk about who will be given the scepter to hand to Crosby it occurred to me that it's possible that the players are the ones who will "demand" that Crosby goes to NY. With linkage, they benefit just as much as the owners/NHL.

For both Crosby and his endorser's, Reebok and Gatorade, having Sid the Kid in NY is ideal.

Food for thought.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
PitkanenPower said:
Does everybody realize the Rangers have been superbly terrible? And that the Rangers very well SHOULD have a significant chance to get Crosby?
Then why all the secrecy? Ewing in '84 to the Knicks was about as blatant as it gets. It does happen.

But who said that the Rangers don't desesrve a shot at Crosby? After all, Sather has been the worst GM ever. Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Anderson, Coffey, Lowe and Fuhrfell into his lap. Fahk, I coulda won all those Cups with "ok boys, pass it to Gretz."

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Riddarn said:
I agree. It would be much more entertaining if they had Mario and Wayne dressed up as Sigfried & Roy look alikes, their lottery-machine assistant could be Don Cherry in an oompa-loompa costume. After drawing picks 30-15 there should be a half time show with monkeys, horseys & elefants topped off with Bob Goodenow as the sad faced clown getting eaten by hungry Lions and Tigers.

Thats a freakin' awesome idea!

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
19nazzy said:
What secrecy?
The part where the draw is done behind closed doors?

People can go on about the time it takes to see balls getting drawn making for lousy tv. TSN covered "trade deadline day" every year and that lasts what, 6-10 hours straight? while they analyze each trade to death. I'm sure people can handle an hour.

Truthfully, I don't think there's a scam going on. But if there were some funny business I would think it's more likely that the players would be behind it rather than the owners.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Epsilon said:
If it was "as blatant as it gets" there would be some evidence. Care to provide some?
There's always one twit who takes a conspiracy theory about something as meaningless as sports and demands hard evidence.

I'll stoke the flames with this proof:

It's 1985, the NBA is in the tank, the Knicks have a 1% chance at the #1 pick and there's a young phenom coming out of Georgetown. The draw is done behind closed doors and... POOF! Ewing goes to NY! Then, the very next year, they completely change the way the lottery is done. A team can no longer move up higher than 4 spots. What a shock.

And, I actually met Ewing in 1985. I'm working on a link for that but there wasn't an article in the Washington Post about it so it might take me a while.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
HF2002 said:
There's always one twit who takes a conspiracy theory about something as meaningless as sports and demands hard evidence.

So I'm a "twit" because I won't simply accept paranoid conspiracy theories as "blatantly obvious". I guess it's "blatantly obvious" that there's a UFO hidden at area 51. After all, they make a pretty good argument for it on the X-Files right?

It's 1985, the NBA is in the tank, the Knicks have a 1% chance at the #1 pick and there's a young phenom coming out of Georgetown. The draw is done behind closed doors and... POOF! Ewing goes to NY! Then, the very next year, they completely change the way the lottery is done. A team can no longer move up higher than 4 spots. What a shock.

Some really astounding proof there. I'm glad coincidence and unsubstantiated speculation counts for proof now.

And, I actually met Ewing in 1985. I'm working on a link for that but there wasn't an article in the Washington Post about it so it might take me a while.

That was a pretty pathetic attempt at an insult.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Epsilon said:
So I'm a "twit" because I won't simply accept paranoid conspiracy theories as "blatantly obvious". I guess it's "blatantly obvious" that there's a UFO hidden at area 51. After all, they make a pretty good argument for it on the X-Files right?
That's not what does it. It's more the request for hard proof of a conspiracy on a message board that has anonymous posters, a 'rumour' section and even a moment in time when Eklund was considered to be a journalist. Is he back on the banned list?

Epsilon said:
Some really astounding proof there. I'm glad coincidence and unsubstantiated speculation counts for proof now.
It's all in the way you read it. If you think there was a conspiracy it couldn't be any clearer. If you're against the possibility, then it sounds as gay as a french horn.
Epsilon said:
That was a pretty pathetic attempt at an insult.
No, the twit remark was the insult. I really did meet him. My uncle taught at Georgetown and we bumped into Ewing on campus. I was pretty young though, and Al Gore had yet to invent the internet, which is largely why I have no link.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
HF2002 said:
That's not what does it. It's more the request for hard proof of a conspiracy on a message board that has anonymous posters, a 'rumour' section and even a moment in time when Eklund was considered to be a journalist. Is he back on the banned list?

If you want to claim a conspiracy that's your business, so long as you don't mind getting laughed at. To say that it was "blatantly obvious" implies that there is at least some tangible evidence to support that conclusion.

No, the twit remark was the insult. I really did meet him. My uncle taught at Georgetown and we bumped into Ewing on campus. I was pretty young though, and Al Gore had yet to invent the internet, which is largely why I have no link.

I wasn't implying that I don't believe you met Ewing. No one would ask you for proof of something so minor. Claiming a conspiracy to be true is a totally different thing.

GSC2k2*

When you use terms such as "blatantly obvious", it does not take a great deal of common sense to infer that those who don't "see" it are saps.

Such terminology is silly to use for such a tinfoil hat conspiracy such as the Ewing draft story.

Oh, and Ewing? Not to get off topic too far, but he was not a "phenom". He was an excellent college player - the best player that year - who was a defensive force at Georgetown. Just about every year has a Ewing. He blossomed into a 20 ppg guy in the pros.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
MikeJones said:
Guess you've never heard about the "frozen envelope" in the eighties and the #1 pick to, conveniently enough, the team that had just been taken over two weeks earlier by the NBA's biggest superstar of all time...

Just because it's on TV doesn't mean the fix wouldn't be in. The NBA does it regularly. I wonder how Cleveland just happened to get the #1 pick when hometown hero Lebron was coming up, hmm?
Maybe, just maybe, because they had a 22.5% chance at getting the first pick, anyway.

And for Patrick Ewing; The Knicks had the third worst record in the League that year, and therefore, the third most lottery balls. I.E. The third best chance at getting the first pick.

GSC2k2*

HF2002 said:

Hmpph. Some proof. I checked my NBA guide. Before they drafted Ewing, the Knicks were 24-58, third worst in the league after Indiana and Golden State.

Before you propagate urban myths, you at least should get your facts right.

Ready to cry uncle yet?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
FYI

Rogers Sportsnet has had a mock draft draw each day and based it on the weighting of the real one ..

Here are the Results

MOCK DRAFT(S)
Possible destinations for Sidney:
July 15: Toronto
-----------------------------
July 16: Chicago
July 17: Anaheim
July 18: Carolina
July 19: Minnesota
July 20: Calgary

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050715_152444_5152

The thing of interest here is that over the 6 days of drafts the 4 teams that are the most heavily weighted did not win on any day.. NYR, Pitts, Columbus, Buffalo

So while each day the odds of the 4 teams combined was 12/48 or 1/4 not a single day of the 6 did it pay off ..

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
ZaphodBeeblebrox said:
just for the record, I had a dream last night that Dallas won Crosby-gate.

I was not happy.

My dream last week had Boston winning the lottery. All the team execs were in my old high-school gym seated assembly style, and when I announced Boston, Mike O'Connell jumped up Homer-style with a huge Woo-Hoo! What was most bizarre about it all was I was the one drawing the teams and instead of using ping-pong balls, it was randomly shaped blocks of wood and plastic, with the team abbreviations marked on with black marker, floating in a trough filled with water. The problem was after I drew Boston, the second block I drew had the markings coming off. I thought it looked like WSH, but couldn't be sure. I then thought that filling the trough with water and using wooden blocks wasn't such a good idea after all. Luckily I woke up before suffering any consequences of the botched lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad